Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 08:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times

Advertisements

mom was a fair cook: dad was a great cook and living in So California we ate fresh almost everyday; rarely did we have any canned foods, I am the same way, but I can think of a few things I did not like: the few times I had canned spinach I thought I would get sick. there was mom's favorite zucchini and canned tomato veggie dish with white bread cooked into it. AWFUL, It should have been banned from earth. I have never been crazy over veggie soup, home made of otherwise: I still am not. But the worst might have been mom's mac and cheese. She never made a white sauce or grated the cheese. Instead she just cut the cheese into little pieces, added milk and cooked the mac::::: Not something you would want to have when your friends came over for dinner.

I notice a lot of you didn't like liver and onions: I loved them. That was one thing mom didn't screw up: she served it almost rare so it wasn't dry and of course lots of onions. Also she did a great Tuna Casserole. I still love tuna casserole. I also love all fresh veggies, cooked of raw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 08:38 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
You're missing out. I apparently make the best roasted brussels sprouts on the planet because they don't last in my house. Everyone gobbles them up, even the dogs !
Please tell us how you do it. I've tried roasting them a few times. I end up with charred, black grossness. It's unfortunate because I do like them.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:40 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,597,111 times
spaghetti...yuck!!

Old 11-26-2018, 08:49 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,552,445 times
Chicken cacciatore - no boneless chicken back then. Had to maneuver around the bones with a fork and knife.
Cube steak - seriously? It's like one big piece of gristle.
Sweet potatoes (but I like them now).
Fish - not filets. Took me forever to eat as I picked out the bones. However, love fish now.
Lima beans - thank goodness the dog liked them.
Baked beans
Waldorf Salad
Cole Slaw
Tomatoes - especially the tomatoes my parents canned. Don't like fresh tomato either. I do like tomato sauces in food though - go figure.

Last edited by kjg1963; 11-26-2018 at 09:09 AM..

Old 11-26-2018, 09:05 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,122,666 times
My mother overcooked everything.

Mushy vegetables

Chili - always a burnt layer stuck to the bottom of the pan, sometimes it was scraped up and mixed in
Sauerkraut chicken - baked chicken thighs topped with sauerkraut, thousand island dressing, and swiss cheese. I love Reuben sandwiches, but this chicken dish was awful.

Grapefruit - my father was an executive and he would get tons of gift baskets, nuts, and crates of fruit at Christmastime. We ate grapefruit for breakfast for weeks. I could barely gag it down.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:13 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,837 times
I was not a picky kid, but I refused to eat rabbit, lamb and veal. My grandmother tricked me into eating rabbit once and then told me what it was afterwards. I got myself in such a state, I threw up all over the dinner table.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:22 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
One year finances were particularly tight and Mom switched to powdered milk. She tried everything she could to fool me but I would still gag if I took a swallow. She even served it out of a milk carton. She tried mixing it half and half. No use.

And Dad bought a deer from some hunter who didn't want it. We ate so much deer that I remember standing at the top of the stairs getting ready to come down for dinner, smelling deer meat cooking and thinking I was going to throw up.

First world problems. We always had enough to eat, thank goodness.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:24 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
Mom's cabbage rolls.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:21 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,494,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Please tell us how you do it. I've tried roasting them a few times. I end up with charred, black grossness. It's unfortunate because I do like them.
Well you’re cooking them way too long or your oven thermostat is way off!

I just purchased an oven thermometer and it turns out my oven’s 425 is really around 350. Explains those failed cakes I’ve had this year.

I know people love roasted veg right now, but I also find it usually over cooked to my liking. I like to slice the sprouts and saut√© them with evoo/butter/garlic. I’ll cover the pan for a few minutes so they steam through a bit, and serve them when they still have a tooth left to them.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:48 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,017,949 times
When I was a kid, these 3 things I hated.

Beef stew

Liver and onions

Hominy

All 3 of those things used to keep me at the dining table long after everyone else was done eating. I still won't eat hominy. I haven't had liver and onions in years, but I have a feeling that if it was cooked right, I'd like it well enough. I always thought it smelled good when it was cooking. But my mom cooked the liver into shoe leather, so it was always hard for small teeth to deal with. LOL I mean...I like chicken livers, and I like pate, so I'm thinking I'd probably like calf's liver...if it was done right.

Which was the same for the beef stew. The meat was too tough, and would take forever to chew and chew and chew and chew.

Whoever used the word "dismay". Yeah. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink