Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 11:04 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,647,878 times

Advertisements

As a child it was chili, fish, polenta, anything w/ rice and probably some others. Beans, hated all of them, but green beans. Still do.

This thread is hysterical to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 11:07 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,647,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
Tuna fish and canned peas in a cream sauce over toast. Horrendous. Maybe that is a regional thing as DH had the same thing at his house nearby but other friends are aghast.

We also had torn iceberg lettuce salads with two wedges of tomatoes every single night. My brother to this day will not eat a salad at home.
LOL. It's called Tuna Doodle I think or a version of it. I liked it though.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:12 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,554,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by profnot View Post
Green bean casserole with canned green beans, cream of mushroom soup, and dead fried onion rings.

Tuna noodle casserole with canned tuna, pasta, and god knows what.

Lima beans, liver, canned vegetables, canned beef stew. Ewww.

Hamburger helper.

Sloppy Joes.

Jello - lots of sugar and always in strange colors.

Kraft macaroni and cheese from the box.

Any Campbell's canned soup. Any frozen food by Stouffers. HUGE amount of salt!

Potato chips with onion dip made from onion soup mix in a box.

Ice cream that never gets hard in the freezer, no matter how long it stays there, because of all the gum-this and gum-that.

Margarine. It is only one molecule away from plastic.

And never forget canned fruit cocktail where all the little bits of fruits all taste exactly the same.
Wow, I loved all that stuff except for the lima beans.
The only food I remember being truly terrible was my grandmother (mothers side) cooking. Worst cook I've ever seen. Her chocolate chip cookies had the cardinal sin of nuts added, but to make matters worse she left a bunch of shell particles in each one. Her chili was fatty hamburger that she didn't even drain, so it was like eating spoonfulls of grease. Etc etc.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:19 AM

273 posts, read 102,408 times
Creamed cabbage and cottage ham. Gag, gag, gag.
My older brother (by 18 months) and I were picky eaters at best, but this was the worst.
My folks would finish and clean up and leave to read the paper in the livingroom, while we'd still be at the table trying to choke it down. My little brother (11 years younger) would be in his highchair. It was worse the longer we took to eat as the food got colder and colder.
Finally my older brother and I figured out he hated the ham and I the cabbage, so we swapped, which made it a little tolerable, while little brother kept saying, "I'm telling. I'm telling......" So my older brother would threaten him to beat him up and he would shut up. LOL! Little bro kept quiet for a couple of days till a teakettle about to explode, when one of us picked on him and the cycle began again for the next icky meal.
To this day - NO COOKED CABBAGE IN MY HOME!!! And I've never heard of cottage ham since.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:06 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
When we ate at my grandmother's house, we liked hamburgers but eery once i a while she'd try to feed us hamburgers on plain white bread iinstead of hamburger buns. We'd fight all night!

Old 11-26-2018, 12:20 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,003,228 times
I had Sloppy Joes and tuna casserole so much in Elementary School, I couldn't eat either for three DECADES!

At home I ate everything! But then, my father, who did almost all of the cooking, was a retired Manhattan chef.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:21 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Omg this sounds exactly how like my mom always cooked. She just didn't like cooking (and still doesn't) and her idea of cooking was usually to burn the sh** out of whatever and call it good. Food wasn't a celebration of life for her lol

Also, I'd like to add boiled to death canned vegetables...I actually gagged just now remembering the overcooked carrots BLEERRRKFFGGGG

Thank goodness we know about roasting vegetables these days !!!
My mom *could* be a very good cook. Her fried chicken, spaghetti and meatballs, roasts, were divine. She made the best corn fritters and potato pancakes. Her pies, cakes and cookies were the best. She didn’t like the fish she made either..she just thought weall needed it.

I think some of it was the times. The magazines and such had weird recipes back in the 70’s
One thing she made that was horrible was skin on, bone in, chicken parts that she would plop in a dish and pour cream of mushroomsoup over. Grey chicken. Yum.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:24 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,035 times
Also, my mom was a huge fan of adding chopped onions to everything. She made Wimpies, a version of sloppy joes and they would have been great but she added chopped onion in at the end. Most kids don’t like that at all. It was a dirty trick. Yum...WIMPIES! Crunch.

And sometimes she’d make hamburgers and fancy them up by adding frigging chopped onions in and serving them with no bun and calling them hamburger steaks. Good grief.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:25 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
Liver and onions! Gross!

Old 11-26-2018, 12:26 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,494,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Also, my mom was a huge fan of adding chopped onions to everything. She made Wimpies, a version of sloppy joes and they would have been great but she added chopped onion in at the end. Most kids don’t like that at all. It was a dirty trick. Yum...WIMPIES! Crunch.

And sometimes she’d make hamburgers and fancy them up by adding frigging chopped onions in and serving them with no bun and calling them hamburger steaks. Good grief.
I’m with her - those both sound like improvements to me.

I mean, I’d rather have a real hamburger with raw onion on it than either...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink