Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 12:45 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by profnot View Post
Green bean casserole with canned green beans, cream of mushroom soup, and dead fried onion rings.

Tuna noodle casserole with canned tuna, pasta, and god knows what.

Lima beans, liver, canned vegetables, canned beef stew. Ewww.

Hamburger helper.

Sloppy Joes.

Jello - lots of sugar and always in strange colors.

Kraft macaroni and cheese from the box.

Any Campbell's canned soup. Any frozen food by Stouffers. HUGE amount of salt!

Potato chips with onion dip made from onion soup mix in a box.

Ice cream that never gets hard in the freezer, no matter how long it stays there, because of all the gum-this and gum-that.

Margarine. It is only one molecule away from plastic.

And never forget canned fruit cocktail where all the little bits of fruits all taste exactly the same.
This is a pretty good list. I can tolerate jello if it doesn’t have canned fruit in it. I’ll eat box Mac & cheese if I have no choice.

Fresh Lima beans are fine. Canned and frozen are awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 12:48 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
meatloaf

Old 11-26-2018, 01:08 PM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
Haha! What a fun thread!

I can still conjure up those awful salads my mother used to make, always just lettuce and tomato, with mayonnaise on top. And we had it nearly every day. And I had to sit there until I finished, which was usually long after everyone else was gone. One day I'd had it, my mother was out of the kitchen, and I saw my chance. The window was open so I threw the last tomato slice out the window just before she walked back in. Unfortunately my dad was walking down the path outside the window at the time and it landed right at his feet. I still remember the repercussions from that one.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:51 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,191 times
This thread is hilarious. I'm laughing and cringing as I create a mental picture of some of the dishes you all are describing.

My mum is actually a pretty good cook. There wasn't much variety growing up, but food was carefully prepared and yummy. We were quite poor, so she had a tight reign on the food in the kitchen. We weren't allowed to snack or eat anything that wasn't during a family meal time. She also dished up all our food. I didn't eat family style until I was an adult.

There were a couple of things I didn't like. She made these weird pancakes with corn in the them. I would deflate a little if I saw the stainless steel bowl sitting on the counter after school. That usually meant batter was made and sitting out until dinner time. The pancakes were served with ketchup. My mum absolutely loves these, so they made an appearance at least once a month, often with so side dish. Also, she would boil new potatoes (yum) and serve them with spoonfuls of mayonnaise (not yum).

Old 11-26-2018, 02:00 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
When I was a kid growing up on the farm, my little sister and I played with the chickens. We watched them hatch, named them, watched them grow, played with them, and ignored Mom's warnings that she'd be cooking them for dinner some day.

So, "fried chicken friends" was my most hated meal--still don't like eating chicken.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:00 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Meatloaf! Nasty pan of beef with ketchup on top.......My mother was NOT a good cook and was the queen of shortcuts. If they marketed a quicker, easier way of making something then that was what she made regardless of what it actually tastes like. Instant mashed potatoes from a box comes to mind.

But the worst childhood memory:

Mom left town for a few weeks one summer. Dad made a "tuna casserole" from a box. Cooked the whole box, way way way too much food for 2 people to eat (me and him) for one night. I was naive, he cooked the whole box because he planned on eating that slop for the whole week! I had a car and a good job, so I went out to eat that whole week without eating a single piece of that gross casserole.

As an adult now, I eat just about everything under the sun but MEATLOAF and ANY CASSEROLES!

Funniest memory recently: A couple years back my mom was cooking for Thanksgiving. We had other plans so we didn't attend but everyone got sick from the under cooked turkey! So the new joke now is, are you going to mom's for some pink turkey! Believe it or not, she still thinks "instant box potatoes" are just as good as real potatoes.

What are you here for folks, good food is the best thing you can put in your body every day!

Old 11-26-2018, 02:02 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,821 times
Salisbury steak

Old 11-26-2018, 03:00 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
All the food my mother ever put on the table was good quality, but she relied too much on canned vegetables - I guess that she didn't learn to use frozen or fresh in the NYC public schools in the late 1930s to early 1940s. Funny, I've read memoirs by people raised by mothers who had also grown up in NYC during that time, and they all made the same, balanced meals - a protein (usually some kind of broiled meat), a vegetable, a salad, a slice of melon or half a grapefruit as an appetizer, maybe a starch, and always fresh rye bread bought that day from the bakery on the table. Unfortunately, everything was overcooked.

But the worst was when my parents were going out, mom would sometimes make something she called tuna croquettes. She'd take canned tuna, combine it perhaps with bread crumbs, mold it into little patties, and fry them. They were SO dry and horrid. But she didn't force us to eat it.

Fortunately, my mom had realized that it was not a good thing to force children to eat, so all we had to do was finish a small serving of vegetables and a small amount of meat, and she was satisfied. And there was always some fruit or something, and you could go and get yourself what you wanted out of the refrigerator. No dessert items were in the house, only brought in in single servings occasionally.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:18 PM

1,584 posts, read 981,928 times
Tuna noodle casserole.
Canned veggies, especially canned spinach.
Minute Rice.
Grossly overcooked meat, especially pork chops like hockey pucks.
Any creamed vegetable.
Cube steak.
Egg salad.

Though I actually didn’t mind creamed chipped beef.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:32 PM

1,052 posts, read 798,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
My mom must have been a good cook. I thought and thought.....can`t come up with one thing, I didn`t like. My favorites were home made potato pancakes,pierogi and golumpki. She also made a wonderful chicken soup.
Sounds like a Polish background. My mother (and grandmother) were good at all of these and we had them regularly. I remember that we liked our potato pancakes (placki we called them) from very finely grated potatoes. My mom demanded that each of my brothers, my father and I each grate two potatoes each to reduced her workload. We also liked golabki (stuffed cabbage) but as younger kids we'd peel off the cabbage and only eat the meat/rice smothered in ketchup. As an adult I like the cabbage as well but my own kids peel off the cabbage and only eat the meat/rice.

On the other side, my mother loved liver and onions and pickled pig's feet, which she cooked for herself and ate alone since none of the men in family would touch them. I despise the taste and texture of fried liver and ate only once or twice. Pig's feet I could not get past the concept stage.

Last edited by sprez33; 11-26-2018 at 03:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink