Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2018, 04:17 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,648,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Haha! What a fun thread!

I can still conjure up those awful salads my mother used to make, always just lettuce and tomato, with mayonnaise on top. And we had it nearly every day. And I had to sit there until I finished, which was usually long after everyone else was gone. One day I'd had it, my mother was out of the kitchen, and I saw my chance. The window was open so I threw the last tomato slice out the window just before she walked back in. Unfortunately my dad was walking down the path outside the window at the time and it landed right at his feet. I still remember the repercussions from that one.
Too bad you didn't have a doggie you could have fed that tomato to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 05:01 PM

127 posts, read 95,081 times
Another vote for liver and onions here.

Oh, and my mother making spaghetti using ketchup as the sauce (the Japanese version).

Old 11-26-2018, 05:06 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,674 times
Polish sausage and sauerkraut and boiled potatoes. The only thing I got through was the potatoes with a lot of butter and salt and pepper.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:20 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times
My mother was a really good cook, and baker. However, she could really KILL some meals. I didn't know that fish could actually be good until I was an adult and either had it out, or made it myself. I don't know what the hell she was serving, but it was always fried, and possibly from the ocean, but it really stunk up the entire house. Overcooked was an understatement.

Boiled Spinach and/or Kale. A veritable vomitorium of flavor. Green, stringy, with a soapy after taste. Yum! I would have rather eaten the stuff you pry out from under your lawn mower at the end of the summer.

Steak - This was hit or miss. Sometimes very good, but other times just dry, chewy, and tasteless. Since, unfortunately, I had no dog to feed it too, I'd have to hide it in a napkin when my mother wasn't looking then excuse myself to go to the bathroom where I'd flush it down the toilet, or throw it out back into the bushes. Even the animals never touched it. It would just have to decompose over time, and had the half life of Plutonium.

Pasta and Peas with watery tomato sauce - There must be some chemical in the Peas that counteract absolutely any goodness in the Pasta. It was like eating something good, then realizing you had been CONNED!

Last edited by Pilot1; 11-26-2018 at 05:37 PM..

Old 11-26-2018, 05:23 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,716 times
My mom would reconstitute a salad. Last nights salad can just be added to tonights. Same thing everyday. Old salad in with a few new ingredients. It was so soggy it made me gag. Even to this day I always make my salad fresh and make sure the leafy part is fresh. When I go to her house to visit she still does this. Ugh....

Old 11-26-2018, 05:30 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,483,098 times
Salmon loaf with orange colored gravy
Liver and onions
Over cooked canned peas and canned spinach
Fat on meat
Edit to add: rutabagas and turnips, yuck. Bitter.
Runny eggs, especially the whites. Instant gag reflex.
White bread

We had to eat it. I stayed at the table and after all had left added the dreaded yuck to my pockets and took it out to the compost pile, especially the meat fat. Perhaps that is why I am a vegetarian. I am sure I can think of others but these left the worst memories.

We were poor so I got to help serve food in exchange for free school lunch. Watery grey lumpy burger bits on lumpy mashed potatoes, ***** on a shingle (creamed chipped beef on white toast), sloppy Joes that were soooo greasy, flavorless hot dogs on stale white buns, mushy apples, etc.

When our daughter began to eat solid foods, we asked her to try something and when she didn’t like it, it went to the compost or the dogs.

That reconstituted salad really sounds gross.

Last edited by xPlorer48; 11-26-2018 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: Additional info

Old 11-26-2018, 05:52 PM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
You're missing out. I apparently make the best roasted brussels sprouts on the planet because they don't last in my house. Everyone gobbles them up, even the dogs !
My mother used to boil them until they were beyond dead.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:00 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times
Forgot about the runny eggs. They'd be undercooked, so there was still this clear, gelatinous stuff around the yoke, that looked liked mucous. She couldn't flip them over and cook them some more? Yes, I'd ask.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:24 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,585,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I'm right there with you Ron61. I hated liver in any form, but liver and onions were the worst. My mom had this habit of way over cooking the liver. Later on in life I medium rare liver and it still tasted terrible, but it was easier to eat. If I never see liver again, I will have lived a successful life.
That's why liverwurst was invented. So many people detested liver, that by spicing it up and putting it in a sausage, they could trick them into eating it. But one other thing I disliked beyond measure, was something my older sister's husband tricked me into eating one time. My sister's mother was Swedish and her husband was from a Danish family. They often served Scandinavian food and they put a plate of lutefisk in front of me. What kind of devilish intent was behind that culinary offense? It certainly rivals haggis as being a cultural abomination.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 11-26-2018 at 06:34 PM..

Old 11-26-2018, 06:29 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,201,334 times
Macaroni & cheese. Ugh! I can't stand the smell of it, let alone eat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink