Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 11:58 PM

75 posts, read 54,538 times

Advertisements

Is it really that good? And where do you even buy the stuff, at least what would be considered to be the better stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 12:38 AM

17,716 posts, read 9,187,561 times
I never tried it, and I don't know where to buy it, but this guy seems to really enjoy it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXhzIHyBOZc

Old 11-27-2018, 01:30 AM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Feeding a dog caviar is obscene...

Caviar is processed and salt cured fish roe from different species of sturgeon, including Ossetra, Sevruga and Beluga and is judged on its color, flavor, texture and maturity.
Beluga caviar has been illegal in the U.S. since 2005 due to its status as an endangered species.

The finest, most expensive caviars are older, larger eggs that are lighter in color. Lower quality caviar is younger, with a less intensely fishy flavor, and darker in color.
Many people, incl. myself find it delicious. Caviar is also known to be healthy, containing plenty of vitamins and minerals intended to nourish unborn fish.

Caviar was originally harvested by Russian and Persian fishermen in the Caspian Sea.
The most expensive caviar on record is from a 100-year-old fish - roughly $1000/oz.

Old 11-27-2018, 03:50 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,082,955 times
It is one of our holiday treats. I usually buy a couple of ounces of Ossetra @ $75.00 per. Be careful though as the Chinese are exporting caviar now.

Old 11-27-2018, 04:36 AM

936 posts, read 823,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Feeding a dog caviar is obscene...

Caviar is processed and salt cured fish roe from different species of sturgeon, including Ossetra, Sevruga and Beluga and is judged on its color, flavor, texture and maturity.
Beluga caviar has been illegal in the U.S. since 2005 due to its status as an endangered species.

The finest, most expensive caviars are older, larger eggs that are lighter in color. Lower quality caviar is younger, with a less intensely fishy flavor, and darker in color.
Many people, incl. myself find it delicious. Caviar is also known to be healthy, containing plenty of vitamins and minerals intended to nourish unborn fish.

Caviar was originally harvested by Russian and Persian fishermen in the Caspian Sea.
The most expensive caviar on record is from a 100-year-old fish - roughly $1000/oz.
Oddly enough, some of the best American-raised caviar comes from Missouri. --Bet you didn't know that.

The Lake of the Ozarks is full of sturgeon that some people believe produce some of the world's finest caviar. (I live in Missouri.) We actually have a problem here with sturgeon poaching in the Lake of the Ozarks. There have been recent arrests of people here illegally hauling out the sturgeons and making more than $5,000 a day from "poached caviar."

A couple of years ago, the British newspaper the Guardian ran an article about "Missouri caviar."

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...hian-fishermen

Old 11-27-2018, 05:26 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
Oddly enough, some of the best American-raised caviar comes from Missouri. --Bet you didn't know that.

The Lake of the Ozarks is full of sturgeon that some people believe produce some of the world's finest caviar. (I live in Missouri.) We actually have a problem here with sturgeon poaching in the Lake of the Ozarks. There have been recent arrests of people here illegally hauling out the sturgeons and making more than $5,000 a day from "poached caviar."

A couple of years ago, the British newspaper the Guardian ran an article about "Missouri caviar."

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...hian-fishermen
Also, from Oklahoma you can get paddlefish caviar.

OP, I do like caviar and eat it occasionally as a nice indulgence.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:28 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Have had cheap everyday and have had the top shelf stuff.

Either way don't care for it.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
My opinion: NO. I have tried it several times and it tastes like salt with a fishy smell. There are very few things I will not eat or prefer not to eat as many of you can tell but that is one.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:34 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My opinion: NO. I have tried it several times and it tastes like salt with a fishy smell. There are very few things I will not eat or prefer not to eat as many of you can tell but that is one.
My feeling exactly. I feel the same way about escargot. They taste like dirt smells. Once was enough.

I have used grocery store caviar to decorate hors d’oeuvres. A few eggs atop something is festive looking, but I would t spend a lot to eat it.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:17 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Good to know....despise fishy smells, tastes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink