Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 04:21 PM

32,509 posts, read 47,530,478 times

Advertisements

On the "too much salt issue", I don't care for the taste, but the biggest problem with it is that gradually all the spices, herbs, and flavorings have been removed and replaced with salt. To me, lots of salt is no substitute for real spices. To the prepared foods companies, it is a great substitution because salt is cheap and the public keeps buying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 04:27 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,239,633 times
I try to eat healthy in general but frequently use canned soup as a base to add stir-fried vegetables and spices. My BP is on the low end of normal so I don't look too hard at sodium content but I do watch carbs and calories. Typically I stick with the ones in broth rather than "cream", and those with less meat or none at all, such as Progresso Lentil soup.

Old 12-06-2018, 04:46 AM

11,328 posts, read 9,214,917 times
I'm stunned as I read this whole thread that no one mentioned Amy's:

https://www.amys.com/our-foods?onthe...soups&items=72

Not canned but many from this company, especially black bean and split pea, are among my favorites:

https://www.rightfoods.com/

I have no use for commercial canned soups.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:07 AM

26,935 posts, read 13,160,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
"Salt is a contributing factor to high blood pressure."

Not as I understand it. It's contraindicated in the event that one HAS high blood pressure.

At any rate, unsalted soup is so flat and awful that I wouldn't want to live if I had to eat it.
Adults should eat no more than 6g of salt a day (2.4g sodium) – that's around 1 teaspoon.

Too much salt not only heightens blood pressure, but also can cause all kinds of problems. Hence the health warnings, whilst many tinned products and convience foods also contain too much sugar, which also has major health implications.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:22 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,088,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I'm stunned as I read this whole thread that no one mentioned Amy's:

https://www.amys.com/our-foods?onthe...soups&items=72

Not canned but many from this company, especially black bean and split pea, are among my favorites:

https://www.rightfoods.com/

I have no use for commercial canned soups.

I mentioned Amy's in post #6. I had Amy's lentil yesterday.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:46 AM

21,589 posts, read 12,643,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I mentioned Amy's in post #6. I had Amy's lentil yesterday.
Amy's is pretty pricey compared to the others discussed; even though, I buy only when they're on sale.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:36 AM

"People with high blood pressure should not exceed 7 grams per day, but if you're healthy, the amount of salt you're currently consuming is likely safe."

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/sodium-per-day

Old 12-06-2018, 10:42 AM

20,244 posts, read 14,473,951 times
As someone who refuses to worry about what is in my food, and is lucky enough not to have any health conditions that particularly require me to do so, and who just eats whatever she wants to eat in general... I have sometimes wondered if the sheer stress levels I have seen in some folks I know, who are reading all the labels, counting every calorie, and cutting out a dozen different things, and so on, and often taking the time to ALSO fuss about and lecture everybody else on what they're eating and why they shouldn't... Can the stress possibly be good for your health?

I just wonder. Whatever your dietary choices, I wish you all a peaceful spirit today.
With or without reduced sodium, maybe we can all be a little less "salty?"

Meanwhile I want to talk about a weird thing I decided to do with my canned tomato soup. I sometimes, when very hungry, get it into my head to combine stuff I happen to have...following no recipe (I never use them) and just grabbing and making a bunch of stuff that sounds good in the moment. So once, I fried up smoked sausage, made saffron rice, and tomato soup, and black beans, and then combined them all in a big pot. It was pretty tasty!

Old 12-06-2018, 12:13 PM

Since I add rice to other soups, I wonder why I've never thought to add it to tomato?

It would also cut the...SWEETNESS...

Old 12-06-2018, 01:00 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,720,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Since I add rice to other soups, I wonder why I've never thought to add it to tomato?

It would also cut the...SWEETNESS...
I add rice or cooked pasta to tomato soup....

--broke down and bought a can of Campbell's tomato to make a marinated carrot salad...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink