Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 12:17 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,162,193 times

Advertisements

I am much more of coffee person, but I drink decaf most of the time. So, it's herbal tea for me too, though I would prefer black tea (if only I could handle the caffeine). I am drinking blueberry tea at the moment. Not awesome, but it's hot and that's what I need.

I have chamomile, peppermint, vanilla sleepy time also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 03:48 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,031,411 times
I have many herbal teas in my discard box but for a different reason from the OP. My gut objects to many things and for a while caffeine (both tea and coffee) was one of those. Very few herbal made it to my OK list, being both tasteful and gut approved lol.

OP may like to try some different chai blends, they tend to have more flavor, some are non-caffeine other have some caffeine tea leaves in the blend. I like Pukka brand Vanilla Chai, non-caffeine when I want some non-caff tea late at night. Prob. too subtle for the OP but I avoid strong tasting teas which have black pepper and cloves in them.

RoiBush also know as Red Bush Tea has a pretty strong lemon flavor. It is a natural flavor, unlike some flavored teas.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:55 PM

130,170 posts, read 12,088,000 times
If the tea you are drinking, tastes the same as water, then I will ask, how long do you let the teabag sit?, maybe it needs to steep longer. I like many herbal teas, my current faves are lavender based.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:56 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Celestial Seasonings brand has strong very herbal teas, like Red Zinger and Mandarin Orange and then others not as much...like Chamomile and Lemon Zinger.

I like regular teas but drink herbals at night to avoid caffeine.

Make sure you leave the teabag long enough to get full flavor....weak tea is awful!
I drank Red Zinger in the 1970s. It was my very first herbal tea. I liked it. Celestial Seasonings also makes a lovely peach flavored tea.

I agree that herbals might have to steep longer than regular tea, for full flavor.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:09 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,508,901 times
I don't mind rooibos. And I can just barely stand hibiscus if I put orange in it.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:31 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,821,115 times
With few exceptions, I'm not fond of herbal "teas." I like the real thing--and coffee. I do like hibiscus, however, especially in iced tea. I also occasionally enjoy ginger-turmeric with about 4 oz. of tart cherry juice in the morning.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:14 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 8 hours ago)

27,160 posts, read 13,444,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
For me this item falls under the heading of 'things I like the concept of and actually believe sophisticated people like, so I'm going to publicly state and/or even fully convince myself that I like it, too.' It's nothing more than a cup of aromatic hot water, as far as I can tell. I've wasted many dollars on various varieties because, again, the idea of it - as well as the cute packaging - is so appealing, yet I'm always sorry I did.

You?
Herbal Teas are an acquired taste, however fruit teas are generally very plesant and there are numerous ftuit falovours to choose from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I've never cared for herbal teas. The only one I enjoy is chamomile. I do enjoy drinking decaf green tea all day. Since I don't care for coffee, tea is my go-to hot drink.

Chamomile helps you relax and sleep, so it's a good tea before bedtime.

Green Tea is supposed to have lots pf health benefits, but it very much an acquired taste.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:25 AM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,209 times
I'm wondering if perhaps the OP's taste buds are a little bit "off" and thus he/she doesn't taste the subtle herbal flavors. I'm remembering reading that years of spicy and/or salty foods can diminish taste bud sensitivity.

I agree with the poster who wrote that the Stash Lemon Ginger tea is lovely.. It may be my imagination, but seems to help digestion also.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:15 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
If the tea you are drinking, tastes the same as water, then I will ask, how long do you let the teabag sit?, maybe it needs to steep longer. I like many herbal teas, my current faves are lavender based.
A long time. In fact, I often leave it sitting in the cup the WHOLE time (I'm drinking it). Some actually turn bitter, but don't seem to have much flavor even then. Scent, yes; makes a great potpourri!

Old 12-19-2018, 08:18 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
"I'm wondering if perhaps the OP's taste buds are a little bit 'off' and thus he/she doesn't taste the subtle herbal flavors."

I, in turn, am wondering if those who claim these cups of hot water are delicious are either lying about it or just imagining it because it's trendy, like eating organic and shopping at Whole Foods.

I also don't like dark chocolate (frankly, it's bitter), while my "sophisticated palate" friends rhapsodize about it. Must be me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink