Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 02:49 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,068,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Lard is saturated fat. Cleveland Clinic, leading Heart Research facility, says no to saturated fats (only in small doses) for heart health. But, if one wants to eat it, let it be. I never believed in being a Food Cop. We all have to deal w/ the ramifications of what we eat and do.

Some perspective:

Lard (pig fat) is 40% saturated fat. Coconut oil is 90% saturated fat, yet many jumped on this bandwagon, call it "good fat" and eat it with abandon.

Beef fat is also 40%. Butter is roughly 60%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 03:13 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
For me it never went out. With a little butter it makes the best pie crusts. And it's an essential for Mexican cooking.

I even used to render my own.
Render it, add a chopped apple and a finely chopped onion at the end. Spoon the good stuff aka cracklings and fruit/vegetable with some lard in a pretty crock. Perfect on crusty bread as rustic appetizer. Hmmmm, I have the fat/skin of the smoked ham from last week in the freezer. It is warm enough to mess with it on the porch. Thank you!!!!

Old 12-23-2018, 05:34 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,426,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
Most of the US does not use, want, or like lard. Even meat eaters.
Not only do I love lard, I render bacon just for the salty, smokey grease.

You know when Chinese BBQ pork (char siu) is cooked right when the fatty parts have resistance, but still melt in your mouth.

I could be vegetarian if it were not for pork and pork fat.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:43 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,425,835 times
Everything in moderation. I'm half Cuban and never stopped using it for frying many dishes. I don't have any cholesterol issue and must not have that gene. It certainly makes foods taste good!

Old 12-23-2018, 05:47 PM

1,299 posts, read 823,181 times
It never went out in Canada. We buy it in one pound (454g) bricks. It's the only thing I use for pie crusts. I was really surprised to find out years ago in a different online group with mostly Americans that it was hard to find down there.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:22 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post

It never went out in Canada. We buy it in one pound (454g) bricks. It's the only thing I use for pie crusts. I was really surprised to find out years ago in a different online group with mostly Americans that it was hard to find down there.

I'll second that. Lard is and historically always has been a staple grocery item used in many, many Canadian and northern European households. Beef tallow and rendered fats from poultry and waterfowl get used too.

For people who live in cold climates it's understood that animal / poultry/ fish fats in the diet are important for good health. Lard is also useful for other things besides cooking with it, it gets used for topical medical care and cosmetic purposes too.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:24 PM

5,459 posts, read 8,178,236 times
If you love lard, get Grandma Utz Handcooked in Lard Potato Chips. Yum!!:

https://www.utzsnacks.com/products/g...-chips-regular

Old 12-24-2018, 04:05 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,082,955 times
The question should be Manteca or leaf lard? Try making carnitas without it.

Old 12-24-2018, 05:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Lard is saturated fat. Cleveland Clinic, leading Heart Research facility, says no to saturated fats (only in small doses) for heart health. But, if one wants to eat it, let it be. I never believed in being a Food Cop. We all have to deal w/ the ramifications of what we eat and do.

Some people can eat white bread and lard every day and live till 95. Some not so lucky. Genes and lifestyle game. We have a resident where I work, 97, and eats Wonder bread every day and donuts, cookies, etc. No dementia and only failing last year or so.
I think what some of these research studies show can be adjusted to prove any point they are trying to make. Some of them are worth paying attention to, others are such they will change the next month or week. As for Lard, of course it isn't healthy in large doses, but most of us only use it for baking a few things and maybe frying things like chicken. I don't go through a lb a year I don't think. i have to admit I cheat and buy pre made pie crusts and canned biscuits as a rule. It seems the lard I do get I end up throwing out cause it gets old and I am uncomfortable using it.

You are right a good part of our life expectancy depends on genes. We can all look around and see that, especially as we reach old age.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:43 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
Not long ago lard was a big no no for anyone with a health consciousness. But I read somewhere that lard is back in favor again. I remember my uncle used to spread a thick layer of lard on a piece of bread and dip it in his morning coffee. Thought nothing of it and lived to an old age. Of course he was a hard working farmer so all that bodily exercise during the day maybe had something to do with it not killing him. Any thoughts on this.
I make my own lard and cook with it at least once a day. My family has for generations and no one has died from a heart attack (literally - we all live to 90s-100s).

The Cleveland Clinic does not blanket say 'no to saturated fat' unless you are a high risk patient who has already had a heart attack. The Cleveland Clinic Functional Medicine Group actually recommends it as a replacement for carbs, especially sugar, for almost all of their patients. Everyone is different but eating natural foods (definitely not Crisco or Margarine) is key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink