Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 05:21 PM

1,264 posts, read 667,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
I recently discovered the French Press which I’m loving the coffee that it produces.

Now I’m thinking I need a grinder so that I will have more coffee brand options for coarse ground coffee if I grind my own.

My question is, if I own a grinder, is it better to grind what I’m going to drink daily or just grind a full package of coffee beans?
As everyone has said, fresh is best! Grind only what you need. Storing beans in a vacuum sealed container helps a lot too!
I use a Capresso burr grinder, got it from Amazon.
Beans....the best place I've found balancing price/quality is...
www.coffeebeandirect.com great selection, very fair prices, fresh, great quality.
I used to use a French press and loved it. Then I had cold-brewed coffee and I've never looked back. It's so good, we hate having coffee anywhere but home. Actually, in cold-brewed coffee, you grind one lb. of beans place into the filter and add 64 oz filtered water, in 12 hours you get a syrup that is stored in 'fridge. One batch lasts us one week. I use 2oz syrup per cup of coffee, so when making coffee, if syrup is made you just have to boil your water. It is sooo good, acidity is lower, never harsh and couldn't be easier.
Cold brewed coffee systems, www.filtron.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 05:26 PM

12,980 posts, read 9,501,161 times
One of the best I've ever found are 8 O'Clock Columbian beans. "Best", of course, is a matter of personal taste but there's no doubt that grinding your own beans right before making coffee results in better flavor.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:37 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I’ve done this for years. But DH likes to buy cheaper beans at WINCO, and I think the quality has declined.

We splurged on Sleepy Monk Beans when we last visited Cannon Beach, OR. I love their coffee. I wish I could have it every day, all year long.

The Hawaiian beans we brought back were not that good.

Locally roasted beans are a good souvenir to bring back from your travels. And you can get locally roasted beans almost everywhere.

Winco's bulk coffee has a strange taste to me. There is some in bulk at Albertson's for only $6.99 that is pretty good. I buy Italian roast and brew in a french press.

Old 04-29-2019, 11:05 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Winco's bulk coffee has a strange taste to me. There is some in bulk at Albertson's for only $6.99 that is pretty good. I buy Italian roast and brew in a french press.
They closed our local Albertson’s.

The Colombian grinds at WINCO have been OK. But I think the decaf version has changed. I’d really like to upgrade our everyday coffee, but DH likes a bargain. He surprised me today though. We are out of regular beans, and he was willing to pick up Starbucks beans today.

That will be nice to drink tomorrow morning.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:25 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,191 times
I second the daily grinding in a burr grinder. It's the only way to go. Enjoy some delicious brew! There are some places you can order beans from for great prices per pound and they are roasted to order, then mailed to you.

Coffee, Tea and Equipment | Kobos Coffee Kobos Coffee (my favorite)
https://www.coffeebeandirect.com/
https://www.coffeeam.com/

Old 04-30-2019, 09:48 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
One of the best I've ever found are 8 O'Clock Columbian beans. "Best", of course, is a matter of personal taste but there's no doubt that grinding your own beans right before making coffee results in better flavor.
8 O'Clock whole bean is actually extremely good for the price point.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:53 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Fresh ground is best! French press!
Yes!
Knowing that the countries where coffee is grown use so many chemicals...
I would never drink any if not Organic....I could
not do that to my kidneys and liver....I save all their work for alcohol!
They don't need cancer causing chemicals in the mix!!

Sorry, but...you may thank me later. Also, watch your little joint problems go away...
and arthritis decrease.

Online:
"Coffee contains a tremendous number of chemicals..." ("42 pesticides", gang!)
..."many coffee-growing countries still use pesticides banned in the US and Europe." (See?)
Ok, my good deed for today is done. Passing on what was passed onto me 25 yrs ago.

https://puritycoffee.com/importance-...e-free-coffee/

Old 05-05-2019, 04:39 AM

1,198 posts, read 661,109 times
Though I don't do it often, once in a while I buy whole beans and grind them in my Blendtec high speed blender. I love that machine.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:49 AM

4,031 posts, read 2,716,220 times
I must confess, it didn't take long for me to become a 'bean grinder' snob. I still have already-ground coffee that I'm trying to finish off (I feel guilty for wasting it), but I can tell the difference--what I grind seems smoother and less bitter, and needs less creamer. The flavor is definitely better. The already-ground is just....okay.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:04 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I’ve been grinding beans for over 20 years. But I’m not a snob. I buy store brand beans. Occasionally I buy more expensive beans for a treat.

And I use a Cuisinart drip coffeemaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink