Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 02:11 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,437,930 times

Advertisements

^^^I can’t eat something that I have had as a pet. I completely understand doing this if you need to feed your family and there are no other options, but not otherwise. I dated someone who hunted rabbits & once made the awful mistake of going with him. Nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 02:28 AM

19,021 posts, read 14,198,297 times
Largely because of post-World War II intensive chicken farming and accompanying price reductions, chicken, once internationally synonymous with luxury, became a staple food in the U.S. in the 1960s.
America was exporting so much cheap chicken that Europeans slapped a tariff on us.
We retaliated with the infamous "chicken tax" on various European imports (including trucks).

Old 01-24-2019, 03:06 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
"Food desert" areas are designated in a hope that the local government will give a subsidy to some large supermarket chain to build grocery stores in an area where it is economically NOT feasible. Chicago did such with Safeway in 2005-2008 only to have Safeway shuttler the entire Dominick's chain a few years later.

I live in a rural area where there are few grocery options in my immediate area. The store I referenced in my post is 22 miles away and is the closest discount option in the area.
If Walmart is your only food shopping option you live in what I would consider a food desert. If you don't drive, you don't shop there.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:49 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,872,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Largely because of post-World War II intensive chicken farming and accompanying price reductions, chicken, once internationally synonymous with luxury, became a staple food in the U.S. in the 1960s.
America was exporting so much cheap chicken that Europeans slapped a tariff on us.
We retaliated with the infamous "chicken tax" on various European imports (including trucks).
It's true. During much of the 1990s, America used to export dark meat to Russia. Because we only want chickens for their white meat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
If Walmart is your only food shopping option you live in what I would consider a food desert. If you don't drive, you don't shop there.
I disagree. I live in walking distance of a Walmart with a full-fledged grocery. I can't go there for fancy stuff, but for basics I eat every day, it does the job pretty well.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 01-24-2019 at 05:58 AM..

Old 01-24-2019, 07:18 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,586,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Man I sure don't remember Turkey being a luxury and I have been here for almost 82 years. We did only have it at Thanksgiving and usually at Christmas, but not because it was a luxury. Dad used to get them fresh from the butcher and we would get to pluck all the little pin feathers the butcher had not gotten out. As a kid that was the most fun part of having turkey. We didn't live in the country, but in a very large metro area.
Our neighborhood turkey rancher would stick a large hatpin in the head of a turkey and then cut its throat, which he said would keep the bird from tightening its feathers, making them hard to pick. But he said to pick it as soon as you got home and clean it immediately, to keep it from becoming tainted. He had a giant, long-handled fishing net, which he used to catch the birds out in the yard. He'd let you pick it out and then launch the net at the doomed bird.

When I raised half a dozen big, bronze-breasted turkeys at home and let them free-range around the farmyard, they tasted magnitudes better than any ever bought from a factory farm or a grocery store.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:42 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Who remembers when chicken was served at Sunday dinner, if then? And was often a hen no longer able to lay eggs?
Chicken was never a luxury in my home, and I am pretty old!

Old 01-24-2019, 09:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
^^^I can’t eat something that I have had as a pet. I completely understand doing this if you need to feed your family and there are no other options, but not otherwise. I dated someone who hunted rabbits & once made the awful mistake of going with him. Nope.
As I mentioned earlier, that is why I didn't eat rabbit for years. Daddy butchered my favorite rabbits babies. Of course I realized it would happen; dad raised them for money, but I just never thought I would eat one of Bonnie's babies.

This does remind of a story from the 70s. We were living in Sac Ca and our son, about 10 at the time decided he wanted to raise chickens and have fresh eggs. There were several people in our neighborhood who had chickens and some were kind enough to give them to our son or sell them very cheap. One nice man gave him a rooster Well Mr Rooster woke us and our neighbors up every morning the minute the sun came out at all. So son and his best friend decided to kill the damn rooster. Then did, they helped butcher and clean it even and I was going to stew him for dinner. Well I cooked the darn thing for about 8 hours, added lots of vegetable and noodles. That old man was so tough we couldn't even cut him apart with a butcher knife. No chicken that night and no raising of chickens again. Our son did enjoy his hobby but not enough to continue. to this day I bet that old rooster is in heaven laughing at those 2 boys and that lady who decided to eat him.

Gerania: I love frog legs and can tolerate Escargot But would not pay the price for snails they charge in restaurants. I usually get them of a cruise ship if they are included in the price of the meal. It isn't the snail I like: in fact I don't but I love the garlic butter sauce.

Last edited by nmnita; 01-24-2019 at 10:03 AM..

Old 01-24-2019, 10:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
"Food desert" areas are designated in a hope that the local government will give a subsidy to some large supermarket chain to build grocery stores in an area where it is economically NOT feasible. Chicago did such with Safeway in 2005-2008 only to have Safeway shuttler the entire Dominick's chain a few years later.

I live in a rural area where there are few grocery options in my immediate area. The store I referenced in my post is 22 miles away and is the closest discount option in the area.
We too live in a rural area but not quite as far as you from shopping. I think our nearest Walmart is about 10 miles, maybe 12 and our nearest local grocery store is 10 miles the other direction. Aldi's is about 20 miles, so is Sam's. That is why we usually only shop every 2 weeks with doing Sam's only once a month. We are doing the run today as a matter of fact.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:29 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
I don't remember chicken being a luxury. But I remember pork - bacon and sausage and pork chops - being really inexpensive and that's not true anymore.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:46 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Gerania: I love frog legs and can tolerate Escargot But would not pay the price for snails they charge in restaurants. I usually get them of a cruise ship if they are included in the price of the meal. It isn't the snail I like: in fact I don't but I love the garlic butter sauce.
It took me a while to realize that. I've eaten them in restaurants and made them at home. The garlic butter with a tiny bit of minced shallot and fresh parsley is the best part. It's cheap, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink