Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 04:58 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,185 times

Advertisements

I am buying in bulk, even though it is just the two us. For example, I will buy large packages of chicken breasts at SAMS, and because these are the biggest chicken breasts I have ever seen in my life, I cut them in 1/2, and freeze portions for the two us -- hubby and I. (He's the carnivore, while I can take meat or leave it.)

I am also cooking much like I would have for a family, but am freezing 1/2 if I don't want to be eating leftovers for a week. This works great with stews and chili, and things.

I am also buying fewer convenience items, like some things already chopped, diced, whatever -- even down to some of the easy, one-pot freezer meals that we actually like during the cooler months. I also think I am going to have to buy what's in season more, and not indulge in fruits and veggies I may be craving. I mean, it's not like I'm pregnant or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 07:21 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,973 times
Just remember that the media is making times look "tougher" than what it actually is. The media over does everything and then everybody believes every word they say.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:38 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,692,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
Like some others, I'm spending more time planning where I buy what. Most of our local grocers have their weekly specials online. Before going out to shop, I see which store is offering specials. I was surprised recently that my DH's favorite packaged cookies (Chips Ahoy, Chocolate Chunk) was BOGO at Publix ($2.68) and cheaper than even the Walmart Superstore (2/$4.00).
Publix many times does have cheaper-also the buy 2 if you only do need one-rings one the same price!

Old 05-01-2008, 07:41 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Gil3-Do you know how many cans of tuna I've dropped and dented and then eaten?? Tons and I haven't grown another eyeball on the side of head yet. Don't believe everything you read/hear please.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:51 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
I'm thinking about dropping my current cell plan and going pre paid, but I've been told it's not worth the hassle. I will see. If anyone here has a positive experience with pre-pay, I would definitely apppreciate your feedback.
Gil,
I've had Virgin Mobile for about six years and have been very pleased. Now that they offer monthly plans with no contract, I've ditched my landline. I get 700 minutes for $24.99. They offer a great selection of phones and they're not pricey to buy. With some packages, they'll even give you a phone!

The range and clarity are really, really good. My son used to have Nextel and when we'd be traveling somewhere rural, we'd have to use my Virgin Mobile phone because his Nextel wouldn't have service.

For more info:
Prepaid Cell Phone Service and Pay as You Go from Virgin Mobile ® USA - Official Site

Their website gives detailed instructions on programming phones and switching service but their customer service reps are awesome and really helpful. I'm an idiot about tech. stuff and they're always so nice to me!

Old 05-02-2008, 07:54 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,426,355 times
I LOVE Virgin Mobile

Old 05-02-2008, 07:58 AM

749 posts, read 2,771,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Just remember that the media is making times look "tougher" than what it actually is. The media over does everything and then everybody believes every word they say.

Huh. I didnt know the media was raising the price of food and gas. So its the medias fault that my paycheck just doesnt seem to be going as far? Damn them!

Old 05-02-2008, 08:15 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,642,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
I think it's the little things that make a difference.

I'm thinking about dropping my current cell plan and going pre paid, but I've been told it's not worth the hassle. I will see. If anyone here has a positive experience with pre-pay, I would definitely apppreciate your feedback.

Save those bonus points at Weis and Giant and definitely use the bonuscards!
Gil3, I have experience using prepaid, it wasn't my plan to stay on it so long but when the kids were younger and we all first got their cell phones, I couldn't find a plan that worked for us without us spending a lot money. So, I started them on a prepaid plan, well we only called each other and maybe one or two friends and it worked well, so when my contract ended, I went with prepay too. I've been on it ever since and never looked back. It's easy and since all my friends and kids are all Verizon, I call them for free. I only spend about $25 a month for my calls / plan. I bought a nice razr phone off of Ebay and the only type of phone you can't use is a PDA phone.

It's easy to add money when I have to, I really don't have any complaints. The kids still use their prepaid too but my daughter did check into regular plans at Verizon and just couldn't find anything cheaper. She is constantly texting and calling people. LOL

So, I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone but it works for us.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:16 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigansnowflake View Post
Huh. I didnt know the media was raising the price of food and gas. So its the medias fault that my paycheck just doesnt seem to be going as far? Damn them!
The price of everything goes up eventually, that's how it's always been. It doesn't mean times are "tough." Times were in the 1930's but I just don't believe it to be the case whatsoever now. Gas in America is still cheaper than in Europe where it's nearly double what we pay.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:52 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,426,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
The price of everything goes up eventually, that's how it's always been. It doesn't mean times are "tough." Times were in the 1930's but I just don't believe it to be the case whatsoever now. Gas in America is still cheaper than in Europe where it's nearly double what we pay.
But even so, a sudden 150% increase in the price of gas is affecting the cost of everything. Yes, it's still RELATIVELY cheap here, but when it was $2 per US gallon a year ago and now it's almost $4 per US gallon that changes things. Things are actually pretty bad in the US right now with other factors besides gas prices such as the mortgage meltdown, credit card crunch, the lower vale of the dollar, etc. Believe me , I KNOW times are tougher because I experience it everyday. Just to deal with gas and food prices, we have had to cut back tremendously, try to save a little bit more, and we are barely getting by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink