Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 04:01 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,599,672 times

Advertisements

Like some others, I'm spending more time planning where I buy what. Most of our local grocers have their weekly specials online. Before going out to shop, I see which store is offering specials. I was surprised recently that my DH's favorite packaged cookies (Chips Ahoy, Chocolate Chunk) was BOGO at Publix ($2.68) and cheaper than even the Walmart Superstore (2/$4.00).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 04:08 PM

139 posts, read 153,484 times
I don't worry about saving money I don't have.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:50 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
We don't eat as much meat. We go shopping ONCE in two weeks, so we don't have to DRIVE very often. A full tank of gas lasts more than a month for us.

We go to Sav-A-Lot for groceries...most things are cheaper there. We eat a lot of rice and pasta, filling foods that don't cost much.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:52 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,642,263 times
As much as I hate it, we shop at Super Walmart, you really can't beat the prices. When my local grocery store has a "clearance sale " on meats, I stock up and freeze them. I go shopping at this little local place that sells all wholesale produce and get a huge box full of it for about $20 which lasts us about two weeks. My fiance rides his motorcycle on nice days to save on gas and he actually bought an extra car just to commute (he works an hour and fifteen mins from our home). Basically, we just cut corners where we can but still enjoy life. For example, my fiance is a fantastic cook, so we rarely eat out, when we do you know for a "date night" or something just to get out, we keep it simple. We also don't rent movies the traditional way, we have Netflix instead which saves us money from going to the movie theater or renting from Blockbuster. Honestly, I'm glad my kids aren't little anymore, I couldn't imaging all the baby food, formula, diapers, doctor visits, etc.. these days. Just too expensive!!

Old 05-01-2008, 01:27 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,296 times
I think it's the little things that make a difference.

Coffee-Instead of stopping at Starbucks or another place on the way to work everyday, I have been brewing at home and taking it to work. A cup of coffee everyday can add up.

I'm thinking about dropping my current cell plan and going pre paid, but I've been told it's not worth the hassle. I will see. If anyone here has a positive experience with pre-pay, I would definitely apppreciate your feedback.

Have a list pre written when going to the store and sticking with it. I also don't shop when hungry. We only cook what we will eat for that day. It is a crime to waste and throw food away.

I only go to the mall or dept store when I/we need something. These places are set up to entice you to spend money unnecessarily.

Do the laundry once or 2x a week instead of washing here and there.

We opt for cheaper dining out options. Cracker Barrel instead of Outback.

No shame in going to a dollar store.

Save those bonus points at Weis and Giant and definitely use the bonuscards!

Old 05-01-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
People, these are NOT tough times. If you still have tv, cell phones, internet, etc; then it is not really that tough. It could be alot worse. I'm happy w/what I have, not much but I'm happy.
With due respect, caveman, things are tough for many and will only get tougher. While I have a good and stable job, this downturn has forced me to cut out things I don't need and take a second look at how I have been living.

When I read yesterday that people are selling their possessions on ebay just to keep food on the table, then that's pretty bad. There are also many who have to decide between gas for the car and a decent meal. Many foodbanks are struggling to stay afloat because of the high price of fuel. The sad thing is that everyday I turn on the radio, we are being asked to dig deeper and deeper into our pockets for basic needs.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:07 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,426,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
We don't eat as much meat. We go shopping ONCE in two weeks, so we don't have to DRIVE very often. A full tank of gas lasts more than a month for us.

We go to Sav-A-Lot for groceries...most things are cheaper there. We eat a lot of rice and pasta, filling foods that don't cost much.
But they are beginning to cost more because of higher demand and high fuel prices.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:14 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,426,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Connected to the grocery business 23 yrs and there is nothing wrong with a dented can as long as it is not at the rim of the can. This is where air can enter over a period of time. Cans can be dented by the handler via handtruck while stocking or in the back/receiving room. There are customers who drop a can and put it back on the shelf. Some cans can be dented while being bagged or transported in trunk of vehicle. It has happened to me and probably by many of you out there. Again, dent in the middle will not hurt the product or those who consume the product. To all those who worry about DENTS, stop and think about pasta,cake mix,cookies, etc or anything inside a SEALED??? wax paper bag. TINY, yes TINY insects are known to be inside so you are NOT 1000 % safe. One time was in a Grocery chain store (nameless) and a lot of the bread had small insects inside the see thru wrapper. How did they get inside? It was in this one area only. This store would spray a Insect spray after closing the doors for the night. Top shelves would have dead flys etc on the pkg food/can goods. This can happen in your area. I have in my mind a couple of places I know of for a fact because I've been there. Stefhen

That is soooo not true...ANY dented can can cause botulism...it has nothing to do with air entering the can. Stop telling people this or someone will end up paralyzed or dead. BTW, I work for a huge foodservice company (largest one in the world) and our QA specilists (food safety experts) all say that even a small dent in a can can easily produce the botulism toxin. Show me any SCIENTIFIC evidence to prove your point.

Adult Health Advisor 2005.4: Botulism (http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/aha/aha_botulisi_crs.htm - broken link)

All canned and preserved foods must be properly processed and prepared. Home-canned products should be heated to 241oF (116oC) using a pressure cooker to kill the spores of Clostridium botulinum. Specific guidelines for home canning are available from the USDA http://extension.usu.edu/files/foodpubs/cangui1.pdf (broken link) (Exit DHFS). Home-canned foods should be boiled for 10 minutes before eating; this will destroy the botulism toxin. Reheated foods should be heated to 165oF. Frozen foods should be thawed in the refrigerator, rather than at room temperature. Bulging containers should not be opened, and commercial cans that are dented should be returned to the store where they were purchased.

Botulism Foodborne Fact Sheet (http://dhfs.wisconsin.gov/communicable/factsheets/BotulismFoodborne_42031_0504.htm - broken link)

Old 05-01-2008, 03:26 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
So if I drop a perfect looking can of tuna from my pantry on my kitchen floor, thereby causing a dent, are you saying it is no longer safe?

Old 05-01-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
So if I drop a perfect looking can of tuna from my pantry on my kitchen floor, thereby causing a dent, are you saying it is no longer safe?
I would not chance it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink