Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 08:53 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortezC View Post
When you write "grass-fed", does that mean "grass-finished"? Because most all beef is grass-fed, but very little is grass-finished; instead, they are grain-finished because that turns the fat white and makes for a more palatable taste for most people. Grass-finished beef has yellowish fat and tastes more "earthy". Just wondering.
"earthy" that's a nice way of sour and gamey if you aren't use to it

I much prefer grain finished beef .. and yes ive had 100's of grass finished steaks

the price on grass finished is much higher ...and to me...nowhere's near worth it..

and I grew up on a farm eating grass fed cows....im use to the flavor ..
and be aware that most all cattle are grass fed most of their lives....but finished on grain ..

If a customer asks me "is this grass fed beef" I can say yes... its been fed grass … but I do ask if they mean grass finished because I sell that too

and if someone wants half a local critter I can get that too from a local farmer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 10:57 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
A good T-bone should never need to be 'tenderized'...the larger side is NY Strip and the smaller side is Filet Mignon (a Porterhouse is the same, except with a larger portion of Filet). Aside from Filet, the Strip is the best cut...some people say that the Ribeye is, but I prefer the Strip (personal opinion and preference, if someone else wants to prefer the Ribeye it's no skin off *my* nose).

There might be some dependence on 'grade'- I have never bought 'select' so I can't really say how much tougher it might be than 'choice', if 'prime' is not available then I get 'choice' (which is most of the time).

I usually buy the Strip alone, as opposed to the T-bone, unless it's a really good deal because it annoys me to deal with the bone...again, personal preference, I don't like bones in my meat or meat still on the bone whether it's beef, pork, chicken or anything else (duck, rabbit, frog, elk, pheasant, etc.), but I'll tolerate the presence of bone if the deal is good enough or it's the only way available for what I want.

I prep the steak with salt, pepper and Stubb's Rub (Beef) and then leave it sit out for an hour or so to come up to room temperature. Then I grill it at the lowest grill temperature possible (when using the propane grill) until it's medium rare- length of time depends on the thickness of the cut, with about 20% less time on the second side after turning (if the first side gets 10 minutes, then it only gets 8 more minutes after the flip). I baste with either Sweet Baby Ray's or Stubb's BBQ sauce. Some people say to sear both sides at a high temperature for a short time initially, but I have never found this to be necessary, just an extra step- when the juices start to run (after the flip) it's done.

I've never had a Strip, T-bone, Porterhouse or Filet that was not tender and juicy when prepped and cooked in this manner.

I can't say at the moment how freezing might affect the meat...but I'll find out soon enough since I got a bunch of NY Strip at a good deal and they are in the freezer now...I *can* say that freezing had no adverse effect on quality when I have purchased whole pork tenderloins, cut them to my desired thickness myself and froze them (buying the whole thing and cutting it myself for $1.69 a pound is much more cost-effective than buying it already cut for $4-$6/lb).

My steaks are NEVER pan-fried- always grilled over fire...I don't care if it's 15 degrees below zero(F) outside, it's going on the grill.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:40 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
I would probably turn them into frijatas or shredded beef, but more likely feed them to the dogs. Sounds like some old dairy cow or non prime carcass that should have been burgered.

Life is way too short to ever eat a poor steak.

Old 02-24-2019, 03:09 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
You might have bought meat cut from an animal that was too old to produce tender cuts.

Doesn't matter then how you cut it, the meat won't compare to a younger animal.

I always marinate before a BBQ for at least 2 hours in the fridge (overnight is better) submerged in mix of olive oil, soy sauce, steak seasoning, garlic, pepper. I prick the steaks all over with a fork so the liquid can absorb into the meat more easily. I don't put vinegar or lemon in with it because that will start "cooking" the meat while it is marinating.

With this marinade you'd want to put the steaks on a BBQ grill that can handle the marinade drippings.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:07 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
First I beat the stuffings out of them with the meat hammer then I stab them to death all over with sharp pointy things, or sometimes I stab them first then beat them up, then I drown them for awhile in a tasty marinade with some kind of acid in it and then I cook them. Works for me.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:16 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I baste with either Sweet Baby Ray's or Stubb's BBQ sauce.

My steaks are NEVER pan-fried- always grilled over fire...I don't care if it's 15 degrees below zero(F) outside, it's going on the grill.

Just curious - if you are using a heavy BBQ sauce on steak, can you really taste a difference, based on grilled or not?

I do prefer grilling (using BGE), but now if it is cold, I go with the Alton Brown cast-iron pan method.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:04 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Maybe it was cheap for a reason. Bad cow = bad meat. You could cook it and chop it up for taco meat as the Mexicans do. Put it into some tortillas and add some onions and cilantro and you would have T-bone tacos. It's a shame and a waste of some steaks but oh well.

There are several ways to tenderize steaks.
1. Marinate in lime or other citrus juice

2. Meat hammer

3. A Jaccard or similar meat tenderizer
https://www.amazon.com/Jaccard-20034...s%2C179&sr=8-5

4. A powdered meat tenderizer. You can buy a small jar or a lot of it which is what I did. This one contains no salt and is a boat load and should last a long time\
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ustomerReviews

Old 02-25-2019, 09:41 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,041,107 times
https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/h...ignon-0162708/

Just saw this video. May not be for everybody as I'm sure the volume of salt may turn some off.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:30 PM

735 posts, read 452,097 times
I choose the 100% grass-fed, meaning grass-finished. It's gamey, and not everyone likes it.

Another way to tenderize it (most Chinese restaurants do this), by adding some baking soda or cornstarch to the seasoning, which I don't prefer.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:52 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
I know people to harvest deer that are around cornfields and they don't like to hunt deer that are not "corn fed" because the meat has too gamey of a taste. I was at a hunting club feed my BIL belongs to that had it labeled as such so amateurs, such as me, could taste the difference. They had squirrel too, reminds me too much of a rat, couldn't get myself to try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink