Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 04:31 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times

Advertisements

I'm totally in love with cheese!

Have a few books but would love to try out a festival. I had tickets to one in Wisconsin but had to cancel....

Tell your experiences and recommendations...for cheeses and for festivals, no matter where...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 10:25 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Personally, I do not go to cheese festivals.

Instead, I stopped at the Babcock Dairy Store in Babcock Hall at the University of Wisconsin in Madison and was given a listing of master cheesemakers in Wisconsin as well as their cheese map and spent the better part of two years making day trips and overnights to try a wide varieties of cheeses - from their source.

Old 03-05-2019, 04:20 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
This has me recalling the various “chariot de fromages” I’ve experienced in France. A cart with 20+ varieties of cheese gets wheeled to your table and you sample some.

I have tons of access to artisanal local cheese. I just try new ones occasionally as a treat. I drive by a Cabot cheese tasting center all the time. I stop occasionally. It’s not like there is any novelty to Cabot cheese.

Old 03-05-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

Instead, I stopped at the Babcock Dairy Store in Babcock Hall at the University of Wisconsin in Madison and was given a listing of master cheesemakers in Wisconsin as well as their cheese map and spent the better part of two years making day trips and overnights to try a wide varieties of cheeses - from their source.

Good for you...a great way to spend your time. And taste cheeses from your area. Care to share your favorite places?

I'm hoping for cheese recommendations and locations of cheese festivals...

Old 03-05-2019, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This has me recalling the various “chariot de fromages†I’ve experienced in France. A cart with 20+ varieties of cheese gets wheeled to your table and you sample some.

I have tons of access to artisanal local cheese. I just try new ones occasionally as a treat. I drive by a Cabot cheese tasting center all the time. I stop occasionally. It’s not like there is any novelty to Cabot cheese.

No but their sharp cheddars aren't bad...

lucky you to live close to cheesemongers!

Old 03-05-2019, 05:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Never heard of a cheese festival but if we had one here,, I would stay away: why? because I would be afraid I would spend a whole months salary just buying cheese. I love almost any kind except for processed and the cheese that is nothing but cheese products and not real cheese.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:52 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Never heard of a cheese festival but if we had one here,, I would stay away: why? because I would be afraid I would spend a whole months salary just buying cheese. I love almost any kind except for processed and the cheese that is nothing but cheese products and not real cheese.
For a while there was a bakery at the South end of Fayetteville (South School near MLK) that had an artisan cheese case. It WAS expensive but oh, so good! I hated to see them go out of business. We would try a different one each week.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:14 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
No but their sharp cheddars aren't bad...

lucky you to live close to cheesemongers!

Cabot is a co-op. Their mainstream grocery store cheddars are fine but nothing special. I usually have their horseradish cheddar kicking around my fridge but it's pretty bland compared to an artisanal one. The Cabot cheese tasting center in Quechee doesn't have their "Legacy" cheese line available for tasting. The Alpine Cheddar in that line comes close to the aged wheel of cheddar you see in pretty much any northern New England general store that is crumbly/a bit grainy and Parmesan Reggiano-like.

My summer house is walking distance from this place:
https://farmandcoastmarket.com/meat/cheese/

They carry a dozen local artisanal cheeses plus a good global selection. They butcher their own local organic meat, make a dozen interesting sausage varieties, and have a wine buyer who does a great job selecting moderately priced wine without marking it up to insane levels.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:37 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

This sounds amazing!

Unless you are somewhere that has a lot of dairy farms, I can't imagine it would be a very good idea.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:39 AM

Still looking for someone who has attended cheese festivals...? The one I had hoped to go to is in Madison, WI....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink