Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 07:25 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,905,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Re: zebra/horse: Did you know you can breed horses with zebras?
Yes, but the offspring is sterile (like the mule) because they're two different species. Just like hardshell clams, softshell clams, geoducks, etc. are all different species of clams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 10:37 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,917,343 times
I LOVE oysters! In fact, we’re going to have some tonight . We’ll have them raw. But I’ll eat them anyway I can get them. Fried, grilled, raw . . .

I even like shucking oysters!

I’ve not had raw clams or scallops, but those aren’t commonly found around here. I’ll certainly try them when I can.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:09 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,532,798 times
When you eat oyster, you're looking for flavor, when you eat clams it's the texture or bite that you are looking for.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:13 PM

23,886 posts, read 32,188,744 times
I grew up in a place called Oyster Bay. For 35 years, we have had an Oyster Festival, but even before that, everyone in Oyster Bay ate Oysters. And not only Oysters, clams, mussels, scallops - we ate all of it.

I like them all. Oysters are a little stronger than the others, but I like them, anyway they are prepared. In my teens and 20s, I ate a lot of oysters. I like them with lemon and a dash of hot sauce, and with beer.

Now, I like them cooked better. Grilled, fried and Oysters Rockefeller. I had a friend who's dad was an fisherman. At her house, I had oyster fritters. In my town, fishermen were called "baymen". That was also the name of our Oyster Bay HS teams. The Baymen.

Clams and oysters are just different. I like chewy mollusks. That doesn't turn me off at all. Out of the two, I think I like clams more. I just love steamers. Cherry stone. Little neck. Clam bellies. I also like clam strips. Even the ones at Howard Johnsons. I used to love those. Baked minced clams with herbs and bread crumbs are also delicious.

I also love mussels and scallops.

If you want to attend a great Oyster Festival, check this out - 35th Anniversary Oyster Festival They actually have a Oyster Eating contest.

Old 03-22-2019, 03:24 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,611,592 times
I like both oysters and clams, but I love raw oysters with a passion! It's funny, because I don't like cooked oysters at all.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:38 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,470,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I stay away from this clam, it looks disgusting. Never had it even in Japanese restaurant.
we used to go clamming in northern california for this type of clam - DELISH!!

Old 03-22-2019, 07:03 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,248,887 times
I've never been able to make myself try oysters. I want to, but then I see them and it's just not doable. Those of you posting about grilled oysters though are tempting me next time I see them on a menu.

Mussels and scallops are my favorites. Not a huge fan of clams, but I will eat them. Looking forward to a trip to Boston next month and some mussels in red sauce--my preference over a butter sauce.

As a life long Midwesterner all of our freshest fish came from inland lakes or Lake Michigan.

Old 03-22-2019, 07:08 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,674,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
we used to go clamming in northern california for this type of clam - DELISH!!
Where in Northern California?

Old 03-23-2019, 12:11 AM

1,584 posts, read 971,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
When I was about 16 I got to try some abalone steaks. OMG! I have never been able to have them since, but to this day (I am 63) I have not forgotten the way they tasted
Yes — had abalone once, and it was delicious. It’s also very expensive and even was back then, so I’ve unfortunately not been able to repeat the experience.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:12 AM

23,886 posts, read 32,188,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I've never been able to make myself try oysters. I want to, but then I see them and it's just not doable. Those of you posting about grilled oysters though are tempting me next time I see them on a menu.

Mussels and scallops are my favorites. Not a huge fan of clams, but I will eat them. Looking forward to a trip to Boston next month and some mussels in red sauce--my preference over a butter sauce.

As a life long Midwesterner all of our freshest fish came from inland lakes or Lake Michigan.
I understand that. I think it's the kind of thing that you have to have when you are very young. I'll admit it, they are a little strange, served raw on the half shell.

Mussels and red sauce are delicious, but I think I like them in white wine and butter sauce better. Either one is good!

When in Boston, you may want to give grilled oysters a try! You might like them better.

I'm from the East Coast and now I live in Ohio. Not too deep into the Midwest to not be able to get ocean sea food. I've learned to like fresh water fish too, particularly lake perch and wall eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink