Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 07:55 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I have been eating off a rotisserie chicken for a couple of days but the other day I left it out on the counter for 3.5 hours after eating. Duh. I had thoughts about using it to make soup, (boiling everything for at least 15 minutes). But I think I am just going to toss it. What would you do?
Eat it.

Seriously. My cousin ( we just had this discussion in October) is a mother of 3 and grandmother of 4. ( She is also a caterer, so she has some common sense about food.)

She has never ever put away the dinner meal. I mean she would cover it up, but it was always left sitting out on the counter. And everyone ate on it until it was done. Of course with three boys that would usually in a day. My sister and I were aghast, had no idea that people did this. But she said her mother did it, and she did the same. And no one ever got sick. Imagine that.

But please...3.5 hours is NOTHING. I mean you take a chicken sandwich to school or work and eat it many hours later, right? Think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 08:08 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Eat it.

Seriously. My cousin ( we just had this discussion in October) is a mother of 3 and grandmother of 4. ( She is also a caterer, so she has some common sense about food.)

She has never ever put away the dinner meal. I mean she would cover it up, but it was always left sitting out on the counter. And everyone ate on it until it was done. Of course with three boys that would usually in a day. My sister and I were aghast, had no idea that people did this. But she said her mother did it, and she did the same. And no one ever got sick. Imagine that.

But please...3.5 hours is NOTHING. I mean you take a chicken sandwich to school or work and eat it many hours later, right? Think about it.
No, not unless it has been kept cold.

Note to self - NEVER EVER hire ChessieMom's cousin as a caterer. OMG.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:12 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,696,994 times
If I leave out wet cat food for over a few hours by mistake, I toss it out. I wouldn't take that chance for my furbuddies, and sure wouldn't eat it myself.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:21 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,605 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Eat it.

I'm currently reading two books: The Good Gut, and Rewild.

About the microbes that are supposed to exist naturally in our guts, and are essential to our good health.

I think the authors would agree with your cousin.

We live in an incredibly sanitized society, and our guts don't have the healthy flora we are designed to have.

If the food is cooked (not salads, containing mayonnaise) it can sit out, covered, on the stove for several hours until the kids come through and rewarm it in the microwave and eat it. Or just put it on a plate and eat it room temperature.

Which is NOT the same thing as raw foods that contain E Coli from the harvesting process, or cooked chicken that is placed back on the platter with raw chicken juices.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:35 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
It has been sitting at the grocery store, in the fridge and on the counter. I pass on it.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:47 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Give it to me.
I'll eat it.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:49 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
I've left food out on the counter for 2-3 hours and more plenty of times before I refrigerated it. I'll bring sandwiches to work in the morning and not refrigerate them, eat them several hours later for lunch. I'm 60 years old and not once ever gotten sick from it. According to some people here I should have been hospitalized many times.
I don't leave food out all day, but my goodness. A few hours is nothing unless the food is already going bad. We're not that delicate and fragile.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:53 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
^^^ I agree. We really are brainwashed by the "health guides".
When food is fully cooked I leave it on the kitchen counter even overnight. It tastes better than from the fridge. Never had any problems...

Old 03-30-2019, 10:07 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Give it to me.
I'll eat it.
It's out on the compost heap. Get here before dark and you can beat the coyotes to it, lol.

Looked at the package date, it was packed 3/21, sell by 3/24. Next time I get one, I will take all the meat off the bones first thing and put it in the freezer, bones in a separate bag to make soup later.

Old 03-30-2019, 10:29 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
It's out on the compost heap. Get here before dark and you can beat the coyotes to it, lol.

Looked at the package date, it was packed 3/21, sell by 3/24. Next time I get one, I will take all the meat off the bones first thing and put it in the freezer, bones in a separate bag to make soup later.
LOL! I think the fact that a cooked chicken was already a week past the sell date changes everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink