U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 02:05 PM

2,297 posts, read 520,131 times

Advertisements

I'm totally paranoid about food freshness and won't eat something if I know it's "old", which to me is about two days after its been cooked. I only like leftovers the very next day or not at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 02:06 PM

18,669 posts, read 11,392,241 times
I think it's also that these days we just cannot trust how foods are prepared, even foods in their most natural states that are simply picked and sent to the grocery store.

Just the other day we had yet another multi-state e-coli warning. How many warnings is that this year alone?

This is why it is better to be safe these days than sorry. Only prepare what you will eat within a few days. Take outs from the restaurant no more than one night storage then toss out.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:03 PM

1,388 posts, read 498,523 times
Funny. I've sometimes kept takeaway leftovers for at least a week before remembering I have them, then consuming them when I'm at a loss of what to do for dinner. I've done that since time immemorial.

So technically I shouldn't be alive to talk about it today, by that logic.

Old 02-12-2020, 07:02 AM

74,379 posts, read 86,755,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
This thread is about food safekeeping, which is storage of already-cooked foods, rather than food safety during cooking. Anyway, I always read how you should discard cooked foods sitting in the fridge for more than 3 days, and discard cooked foods sitting out for more than 2 hours. I can see that being true for things like milk or eggs, and even that's debatable, but most foods should be perfectly fine after being kept for longer than that. I also see why restaurants would have such strict rules: better safe than sorry, and they waste 40% of their food, anyway. But for home, it doesn't make much sense.

Maybe it's just me, but the "3 days, 2 hours" rule seems extremely overzealous. I always cook meals for the following week during the weekend, and they're still just as good on Friday as they are on Monday. Very rarely does something go bad to the point of me tossing it. And I got sick from something I kept too long maybe two or three times in my adult life. Unless it's 90* at a picnic or something---that's when you use coolers or forego food. Although when it's that hot, my appetite goes down to zero. I'd rather go swimming, then eat in an air-conditioned restaurant. But I digress.

I can't help but smell a rat. I wonder if these overzealous guidelines are meant to increase food waste, so people keep buying more to replace what they threw out.

Thoughts?
Absolutely!!! I don't think it has anything to do with selling more food or encouraging waste but I can be pretty sure, none of the people doing the studies or printing the information did not live in the 50s or before. I can remember when there were no real guidelines and most of us did not suffer any side effects. For many of us, it was simply smell and look. That is the best way to determine if something is still safe to eat.

Old 02-12-2020, 07:08 AM

74,379 posts, read 86,755,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I think it's also that these days we just cannot trust how foods are prepared, even foods in their most natural states that are simply picked and sent to the grocery store.

Just the other day we had yet another multi-state e-coli warning. How many warnings is that this year alone?

This is why it is better to be safe these days than sorry. Only prepare what you will eat within a few days. Take outs from the restaurant no more than one night storage then toss out.
I am not convinced the scares are any different than 50 years ago, we just have been communication than we do now. Actually food should last longer with all the preservatives that are added. BTW an e-coli problem has nothing to do with the length of time a food is left in the fridge. Just from reading the responses to the question certainly pretty much tells us who was born before 1960 compared to who was born after 1960.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:20 AM

1,600 posts, read 426,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Also, just a story for this group...Rod Rodriquez, a complainer that Ernest H. kept his jalopy too long in back of his restaurant in Key West...
said to me ...Nobody used to get sick until they brought the water pipeline from the mainland...When we caught rain water and tossed anything that died in it away...none of us got sick.
Now we all have runny noses and hankies we blow our noses in...

Pretty much verbatim....he may have said, "...if a cat"....

He'd have a 6-7 ft grouper dumped outside the back kitchen screen door, at it's middle it was as big around as my sister's waistline ....and that was the fish on special

for a few weeks...tell me THAT didn't take a while in the FL heat to cut up! Ha!
A grouper that size has so many worms and high potential to carry ciguatera, I would never consider eating it, properly treated or not.

Old 02-16-2020, 12:21 PM

661 posts, read 335,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
When my family moved back to US from Thailand when I was a boy I discovered the glory of the mighty sandwich in USA. I remember early in the morning my Mom would pack a bologna sandwich with mayo and cheese for my school lunch. I'd take it in my Scooby-Doo lunch box and like the rest of the kids stash it somewhere until lunch break at about noon. 5-6 hours, no refrigeration, nobody got sick, no problems.

Fast forward 30 years and I had coworkers packing ice in their thermal-safe lunch containers just so their sandwich survives the 30 minute commute to work where it can be stored in the fridge.

Craziness.
I also used to take bologna sandwiches with mayonnaise to school for lunch in my lunchbox. When I was older, I would make myself an olive loaf sandwich with mayo and alfalfa sprouts and leave it in my care until lunch time. Never got sick from any of it.

What HAS made me sick was food from fast food restaurants, where the food was prepared by people who didn't wash their hands or wear gloves. Sometimes it was food poisoning, other times it was giardia (a parasite.) I have also gotten sick from church potlucks, and there were times I had gotten food from a food bank that was bad. Usually canned fruit or vegetables that would taste metallic.

Old Today, 01:48 PM

9,354 posts, read 11,377,527 times
Always cooked turkeys w/ stuffing inside, never "on the side," granted stuffing taken out right away after done. When I said that to someone they looked horrified, LOL. I guess if it's a super large turkey or stuffing sitting in there, but never an issue. Don't make turkey anymore anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or