Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 10:27 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times

Advertisements

This thread is about food safekeeping, which is storage of already-cooked foods, rather than food safety during cooking. Anyway, I always read how you should discard cooked foods sitting in the fridge for more than 3 days, and discard cooked foods sitting out for more than 2 hours. I can see that being true for things like milk or eggs, and even that's debatable, but most foods should be perfectly fine after being kept for longer than that. I also see why restaurants would have such strict rules: better safe than sorry, and they waste 40% of their food, anyway. But for home, it doesn't make much sense.

Maybe it's just me, but the "3 days, 2 hours" rule seems extremely overzealous. I always cook meals for the following week during the weekend, and they're still just as good on Friday as they are on Monday. Very rarely does something go bad to the point of me tossing it. And I got sick from something I kept too long maybe two or three times in my adult life. Unless it's 90* at a picnic or something---that's when you use coolers or forego food. Although when it's that hot, my appetite goes down to zero. I'd rather go swimming, then eat in an air-conditioned restaurant. But I digress.

I can't help but smell a rat. I wonder if these overzealous guidelines are meant to increase food waste, so people keep buying more to replace what they threw out.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 11:24 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Totally agree. I ignore all that stuff. Like with my clothes, I do the appearance and smell test, LOL.

If it's cooked, I'll eat it a week or more. I am enjoying some cocoa powder now that I just noticed is 3 years past sell-date. I'll let you know what happens.

You can be certain that all this "guideline" propaganda is profit-driven. Follow the money.

Old 03-30-2019, 11:32 AM

61,704 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Yes. Most of the food safekeeping is just marketing... No evidence of science or common sense at all.
But, hey - considering the staple topic on this forum, it's working! No matter how many times we explain and reveal reliable sources, that topic bounces back like a boomerang.
Old habits die hard...

Old 03-30-2019, 11:36 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
This thread is about food safekeeping, which is storage of already-cooked foods, rather than food safety during cooking. Anyway, I always read how you should discard cooked foods sitting in the fridge for more than 3 days, and discard cooked foods sitting out for more than 2 hours. I can see that being true for things like milk or eggs, and even that's debatable, but most foods should be perfectly fine after being kept for longer than that. I also see why restaurants would have such strict rules: better safe than sorry, and they waste 40% of their food, anyway. But for home, it doesn't make much sense.

Maybe it's just me, but the "3 days, 2 hours" rule seems extremely overzealous. I always cook meals for the following week during the weekend, and they're still just as good on Friday as they are on Monday. Very rarely does something go bad to the point of me tossing it. And I got sick from something I kept too long maybe two or three times in my adult life. Unless it's 90* at a picnic or something---that's when you use coolers or forego food. Although when it's that hot, my appetite goes down to zero. I'd rather go swimming, then eat in an air-conditioned restaurant. But I digress.

I can't help but smell a rat. I wonder if these overzealous guidelines are meant to increase food waste, so people keep buying more to replace what they threw out.

Thoughts?

I think they're more a product of a litigious society.

Old 03-30-2019, 11:54 AM

1,584 posts, read 981,716 times
I think this depends on how strongly you take the “better safe than sorry” maxim. Given how unpleasant food poisoning can be, it can be prudent. But YMMV.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:41 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
I am more of a 10 day, 12 hours kind of guy. The ultimate litmus is the sensory test; does it look and smell normal?

How is the ambient temperature? A tuna sandwich sitting in a backpack in a cool room is far more likely to be just fine than a bowl of tuna sitting on a picnic table in the direct sunlight with flies buzzing around and kids scooping out fingers full, licking their fingers, then going in for another scoop.

And it depends on the food, too. Foods in very salty or acidic conditions simply last longer. Foods that are, by design, for longkeeping like cheese or unsliced bacon, beef jerkey, etc.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:52 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
If I am in a commercial kitchen, I follow ALL food safety rules to the maximum. If you have an outbreak of a food borne illness that can be traced to a food that you produced, it results in an immediate loss of reputation (ask Chipotle and Jack In The Box). There is also potential litigation.

At home, I am probably less stringent on the rules ... especially as it involves tasting and the like. However, after years in the commercial kitchen, most of the good habits are so ingrained that I do follow most of the rules.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:52 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,626 posts, read 17,961,729 times
I agree with you about a lot of this.

Food that's cooked and refrigerated will be unappealing looking/tasting before it will actually harm you. It will taste "off", where food poisoning usually comes from foods that taste perfectly fine and appear fresh.

Also, I think all foods HAVE to have an expiration date - even sugar and dried beans and rice. Really? I don't think that rice is going to go bad anytime soon.

It's like make up, too, and mattresses. Manufacturers of make up and mattresses try to tell you they become unhealthy after a few years.

Um, no.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:01 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
I agree it is a marketing ploy, to make people buy more food. I hate to throw out foods, so I only do so, if it has gone off, & smells bad. But there again, when I used to visit my Grandmother who for the first part of my life, lived in a rural area, with no electricity, ( no fridge) & I loved whatever she made.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:30 PM

10,894 posts, read 7,386,537 times
I've had bad food poisoning too many times.
I would much rather toss out food that's been sitting too long than take the chance of illness.

Sure, you won't get sick 9 times out of 10, but that 10th one is awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink