Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 02:21 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times

Advertisements

I got a Sous Vide device and a lot of sealing bags. It has changed the way I cook and prepare food. I don't use the instapot or air fryer anymore.

Steaks cooked perfectly tender and moist. No hard burnt or smoke. Cooking fish is also easy, perfectly seasoned and moist meat. No smoke and no need to flip sides. Best of all I can tell even my kids to do it. That's how safe it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 02:52 PM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
I was tempted but never tried that method. The only thing is that meat is cooked, not seared or baked/roasted. Some dishes require cooked meat, but have it always that way... Nah.
It kind of reminds me on slow cooker...
Perhaps I am wrong?

Old 09-16-2019, 03:13 PM

Yea, it cooks the meat without sear or add crust. But think about why you do the sear, it is to prevent moisture loss and seals the flavor. Now what if the meat is tender and juicy without the sear. Thats how it would taste like. What I do is take a ribeye and cook it with sous vide and then take it out and sear it on high heat for 1 min each side and the meat inside is perfectly moist. The sear areas are not dry or hard, the meat is almost like been steamed but no moisture loss.

It is ideal for very thick steaks or fish. You can also poach a bunch of eggs without ever messing up. Youtube vids have shown you can cook a dozen eggs in sous vide for an hour and it stays perfectly runny because the temperature is limited to what you set and it will never overcook.

Chicken quarters, the meat almost falls off the thigh bones and for ribs it pulls off the bone without being dry or burnt.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:23 PM

4,414 posts, read 3,476,032 times
I agree— sous vide is awesome. The best part is I can pop frozen meat or salmon in without defrosting: cooks perfectly and then I just sear it afterward for a nice crust.

Old 09-16-2019, 06:35 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Yea, it cooks the meat without sear or add crust. But think about why you do the sear, it is to prevent moisture loss and seals the flavor. Now what if the meat is tender and juicy without the sear. Thats how it would taste like. What I do is take a ribeye and cook it with sous vide and then take it out and sear it on high heat for 1 min each side and the meat inside is perfectly moist. The sear areas are not dry or hard, the meat is almost like been steamed but no moisture loss.

It is ideal for very thick steaks or fish. You can also poach a bunch of eggs without ever messing up. Youtube vids have shown you can cook a dozen eggs in sous vide for an hour and it stays perfectly runny because the temperature is limited to what you set and it will never overcook.

Chicken quarters, the meat almost falls off the thigh bones and for ribs it pulls off the bone without being dry or burnt.

That's not the only reason. Why do you think you usually deglaze the pan with a liquid like wine and scrape up all the brown bits to add to your pan sauce?

One word: FLAVOR

Which is also added to the meat when you sear it.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
That's not the only reason. Why do you think you usually deglaze the pan with a liquid like wine and scrape up all the brown bits to add to your pan sauce?

One word: FLAVOR

Which is also added to the meat when you sear it.
True, you can scrape the caramelized protein and fats to create gravy or sauce. I think for health conscious folks, the sous vide allows you to cook without charring the meats. I've had pretty good success with thick cuts of meat without having to sear or char each side and just enjoy the center moist and tender meat.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:29 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,828,626 times
do you put the eggs in sealed bags or directly in the water? are they easy to peel?

Old 09-17-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
do you put the eggs in sealed bags or directly in the water? are they easy to peel?
You don't need the sealed bags, that is used for locking in flavor for meats. You can put eggs in water as long as you're not using high temps.

I always find the trick to peel eggs is to drop hot eggs into ice cold water and the shell becomes shocked and peels easily.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:59 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
Not a fan of sous vide.

We do a chicken dish sous vide at the restaurant but then have to finish it on the grill.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:07 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,085,168 times
That is why I do reverse sear for steaks, FLAVOR. Never gonna own one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink