Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 09:22 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,036,281 times

Advertisements

They're all over the place in the northeast, a staple in every grocery, deli, etc. But here in Utah I was surprised to discover that they simply don't exist, even in fancy bakeries. Blueberry muffins, banana nut, yes. Cranberry, no. I had no idea. Maybe they're just a northeast thing. Same thing seems to apply to roasted chestnuts too.

Can you get cranberry muffins where you live? Let's get to the bottom of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2019, 10:03 AM

12,852 posts, read 9,067,991 times
We're in Tennessee. I love 'em but have to make them since none of the local spots around here sell them, except perhaps on rare occasions. There is one coffee shop that has cranberry scones occasionally. I think Krustez has a mix that some of the local stores carry.

Old 11-28-2019, 10:33 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,030,431 times
We were able to get all the cranberry muffins we wanted (which was a lot--they are delicious) in Minnesota, and they are readily available here in Wisconsin as well. Cranberry orange too. But then, the cranberry is the official Wisconsin state fruit, with Wisconsin being apparently the leading producer of cranberries in the nation.

Old 11-28-2019, 10:40 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Cranberry muffins were common in New England, from what I saw (and ate), much less so in Colorado. Cranberries are a cash crop in southeastern Massachusetts, so this isn’t surprising.

I rarely see chestnuts for sale. When a local supermarket had them, I did a double-take.

I can buy fresh cranberries in late fall to make our own cranberry goodies, which add a bright burst of color and tartness. I even chew slowly on fresh raw cranberries sometimes—no sugar added. No Craisins for me!

Other New England favorites that I never or rarely see elsewhere are Grapenut pudding, custard pie, real Boston cream pie, Indian pudding, jonnycakes, ricotta pie (North End of Boston’s Italian specialty), fishcakes, haddock or scrod anything, apple brown betty, American chop suey, brown bread, and frozen pudding, an ice cream flavor that contains several kinds of dried fruits in it.

Old 11-28-2019, 02:37 PM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
We were able to get all the cranberry muffins we wanted (which was a lot--they are delicious) in Minnesota, and they are readily available here in Wisconsin as well. Cranberry orange too. But then, the cranberry is the official Wisconsin state fruit, with Wisconsin being apparently the leading producer of cranberries in the nation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Cranberry muffins were common in New England, from what I saw (and ate), much less so in Colorado. Cranberries are a cash crop in southeastern Massachusetts, so this isn’t surprising.

I rarely see chestnuts for sale. When a local supermarket had them, I did a double-take.

I can buy fresh cranberries in late fall to make our own cranberry goodies, which add a bright burst of color and tartness. I even chew slowly on fresh raw cranberries sometimes—no sugar added. No Craisins for me!

Other New England favorites that I never or rarely see elsewhere are Grapenut pudding, custard pie, real Boston cream pie, Indian pudding, jonnycakes, ricotta pie (North End of Boston’s Italian specialty), fishcakes, haddock or scrod anything, apple brown betty, American chop suey, brown bread, and frozen pudding, an ice cream flavor that contains several kinds of dried fruits in it.
Yup! Wisconsin is No. 1 producer of Cranberries, followed by Massachusetts, and then New Jersey. Not bad that our much smaller state with less farmland is competing with youse guys!

Old 11-29-2019, 06:11 AM

16,079 posts, read 21,163,621 times
I like cranberry muffins/bread (with or without orange in it too) but I'm with Tnff in that I pretty much only ever see the mixes, the stores around here don't seem to offer them. I will see the Thomas cranberry english muffins around the holidays sometimes and I like those too.
Roasted chestnuts are not a thing here. I did once find some chestnuts sold loose in the holiday baking section, so I bought some out of curiosity. Got them home and tried to roast them, it was a failed experiment, lol. I have never seen most of the others you mention either. Would love to take a road trip to try all those things one day!

Old 11-29-2019, 05:32 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,036,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I like cranberry muffins/bread (with or without orange in it too) but I'm with Tnff in that I pretty much only ever see the mixes, the stores around here don't seem to offer them. I will see the Thomas cranberry english muffins around the holidays sometimes and I like those too.
Roasted chestnuts are not a thing here. I did once find some chestnuts sold loose in the holiday baking section, so I bought some out of curiosity. Got them home and tried to roast them, it was a failed experiment, lol. I have never seen most of the others you mention either. Would love to take a road trip to try all those things one day!
Go to NY/New England.

Old 11-29-2019, 05:42 PM

1,045 posts, read 760,100 times
Certain supermarkets here in NC sell cranberry muffins, and scones which I like better.

Old 11-29-2019, 06:37 PM

1,265 posts, read 668,702 times
Illinois here, and for us, fresh cranberries are plentiful seasonally, and when they are, we sort, clean and freeze or dehydrate quite a bit. Unfortunately, cranberry muffins aren't much available in local bakeries, which is ok, as my wife bakes with them often, and they are in our breakfast cereal at least two or three days a week year round! I love a good cranberry muffin, but what I enjoy even more is Mrs Bellacatahoula's cranberry, walnut, pumpkin bread or muffins!

Old 11-29-2019, 08:37 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post

I'm in Denver and routinely see fresh cranberry and/or cranberry orange muffins at King Soopers and Spouts, which are the two places I do my regular shopping.

But as someone who lived in Boston for over 2 decades prior to moving to Denver, I will agree with the rest of your regional list, although there are several I can't say I miss! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink