Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 10:27 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Had no idea there were restaurants. I just know the frozen pot pies from the supermarket.
Yeh, they are southern California staple. I think they are only in SoCal though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 12:49 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
NorCal also.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:17 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
TBH - there are lots of different types of food and lots of casaul dining and fast food in the UK.

Latest openings include Coco Ichibanya and Eggslut is also planning on opening an outlet in London.

We have many of the major US chains, lots of pizza and fried chicken outets and lots of sit down casual chains.

UK Supermarkets (grocery stores) sell all kinds of food, and traditional food is only one part of what is a fusion of food from across the globe.

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-24-2019 at 03:28 AM..

Old 04-24-2019, 05:16 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
TBH - there are lots of different types of food and lots of casaul dining and fast food in the UK.

Latest openings include Coco Ichibanya and Eggslut is also planning on opening an outlet in London.

We have many of the major US chains, lots of pizza and fried chicken outlets and lots of sit down casual chains.

UK Supermarkets (grocery stores) sell all kinds of food, and traditional food is only one part of what is a fusion of food from across the globe.
I stayed at an airbnb in Southwark for four nights,. On the main drag there were two fried chicken joints on the same block. One was Dallas Fried Chicken and I think the other was Kansas Fried Chicken. I found the names amusing.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:20 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Britain has some really daft items like Chip Butty which is french fries sandwiched in bread, or the famed toast and beans. But I do feel the full english breakfast looks extremely hardy and savoury. Always wanted to try.

My dad is from Britain and my mum is also from a country with a lot of English influence. They moved to Canada and I grew up there eating beans on toast and french fry sandwiches. I have many memories of my parents stopping for hot take away fries in a box to eat in really soft white bread as a treat when we got home. Also, marmite and vegimite were always in the house. And orange marmalade. And English breakfast tea. And delicious rack of lamb with mint sauce and the most perfect roasted potatoes for our holiday dinners. The only thing I despised (and still do) was the mushy peas.

Thanks for the trip down my lane of memories. I'm homesick now.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:46 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
My dad's family was from England so I grew up on fish and chips, roast leg of lamb with mint sauce, roast beef with Yorkshire pudding. I thought those were American foods. Mince pies for Christmas, mmmm.

I think English food went down hill during the war and then got better. When I went in the 1970s, the food in England was horrible mush. Fast forward twenty years and it was as good as what I grew up with. We were told that English food consisted of overly boiled vegetables--maybe it did at some point in time, but I don't know when.
Does anyone know when it was overly boiled vegetables? Bland?

Well, when I went back years later, the food was to die for. Fresh, organic vegetables, beautiful fresh ham, gorgeous eggs. Indian food, of course, and my favorite, Cornish pasties. Lots of meat pies and few, if any, harmful preservatives in the food. Everything was delicious.

Will someone please start a Cornish pasty place here in CT? I would buy a lot of them and freeze them. They're so tasty and they make an entire meal. You don't have to work in a tin mine to love them either.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:59 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
My dad's family was from England so I grew up on fish and chips, roast leg of lamb with mint sauce, roast beef with Yorkshire pudding. I thought those were American foods. Mince pies for Christmas, mmmm.

I think English food went down hill during the war and then got better. When I went in the 1970s, the food in England was horrible mush. Fast forward twenty years and it was as good as what I grew up with. We were told that English food consisted of overly boiled vegetables--maybe it did at some point in time, but I don't know when.
Does anyone know when it was overly boiled vegetables? Bland?

Well, when I went back years later, the food was to die for. Fresh, organic vegetables, beautiful fresh ham, gorgeous eggs. Indian food, of course, and my favorite, Cornish pasties. Lots of meat pies and few, if any, harmful preservatives in the food. Everything was delicious.

Will someone please start a Cornish pasty place here in CT? I would buy a lot of them and freeze them. They're so tasty and they make an entire meal. You don't have to work in a tin mine to love them either.
Cornish Pasties are basically just empanadas. I sure there are plenty of Empanada joints in CT.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:59 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I stayed at an airbnb in Southwark for four nights,. On the main drag there were two fried chicken joints on the same block. One was Dallas Fried Chicken and I think the other was Kansas Fried Chicken. I found the names amusing.
There's all kinds of fried chicken shops and local fish and chip shops.

In terms of fried chicken there are usually three kinds of outlet.

The low cost local places such as Dallas Chicken, Kansas Fried Chicken Morleys (South London), Sam's Chicken (North London), Dixie Chicken, Chicken Cottage, Perfect Fried Chicken etc. The chicken is very cheap, but I would check out the hygiene ratings either on the door sticker ir on line before ordering anything.

Then you have the middle ground, type of fast food place, which is dominated by KFC, although some other chains are starting to emerge and which have substantial expansion plans such as Jollibee, whilst Slim Chickens, Wingstop and other chains are starting to appear in UK cities, and Nando's has already established itself as a major chicken chain. I think Thunderbird Fried Chicken has a wealthy investment company bacing it, so may yet expand rapidly.

Thunderbird are go: the fried chicken brand that's taking on KFC - Big Hospitality

Finally in the third catergory, you have the more expensive hipster type places such as Butchies Chicken, Bird, Absurd Bird, Chick ‘n Sours, Wing Wing (Korean fried chicken) etc.

A few Hipster typle chain places in London and the UK -

Last edited by Brave New World; 04-25-2019 at 05:53 AM..

Old 04-25-2019, 07:44 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
There's all kinds of fried chicken shops and local fish and chip shops.

In terms of fried chicken there are usually three kinds of outlet.

The low cost local places such as Dallas Chicken, Kansas Fried Chicken Morleys (South London), Sam's Chicken (North London), Dixie Chicken, Chicken Cottage, Perfect Fried Chicken etc. The chicken is very cheap, but I would check out the hygiene ratings either on the door sticker ir on line before ordering anything.

Then you have the middle ground, type of fast food place, which is dominated by KFC, although some other chains are starting to emerge and which have substantial expansion plans such as Jollibee, whilst Slim Chickens, Wingstop and other chains are starting to appear in UK cities, and Nando's has already established itself as a major chicken chain. I think Thunderbird Fried Chicken has a wealthy investment company bacing it, so may yet expand rapidly.

Thunderbird are go: the fried chicken brand that's taking on KFC - Big Hospitality

Finally in the third catergory, you have the more expensive hipster type places such as Butchies Chicken, Bird, Absurd Bird, Chick ‘n Sours, Wing Wing (Korean fried chicken) etc.

A few Hipster typle chain places in London and the UK -

Interesting! Just to be clear, I didn't eat at any of the fried chicken places. I just got a kick out of the US city names sort of mimicking the name "Kentucky Fried Chicken".

When I took my trip to London in 2015, I was vegetarian. On that same trip, I was in Amsterdam and Paris before London. London had hands down the very best selection of vegetarian food of those three cities. Even the pubs had vegetarian pot pies. I had a spinach and cheese at one and a chickpea and butternut squash at another.

I might have already said this upthread, lol. I really liked the food in London.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:29 AM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Cornish Pasties are basically just empanadas. I sure there are plenty of Empanada joints in CT.

Not the same at all. empanadas tend to be spicy & pasties are herby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink