Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 09:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The issue I have with Omaha is that they will pester you every third day to order again. Now, they do respect when you tell them to not call you back.. But they're so pushy that I would never order from them again
yep, been there, done that. I think the last time I ordered from them was probably 6 or 8 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 06:31 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,082,955 times
Ordering from websites is reserved for things we can't find locally. Mushrooms like morels, hen of the woods and trumpets come to mind. We've had great success with Oregon Mushrooms. Oh, they also have fresh, imported cepes (porcini mushrooms) when in season. Used to get black truffles from them until we found a local place called House of Caviar.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:55 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
I would never in a million, billion years pay the prices for online meat or seafood. However, IF I did, it would be from Lobel's. I received a small gift of steak and it was mind-blowing. DH (ex-butcher and meat packing house owner) declared it the best steak he ever had, and is truly pissed that I refuse to pay those prices and order from them. (Maybe I'll give in for his 80th birthday.)

https://www.lobels.com

Disclaimer: I went to high school with the son who now owns the family business (nice guy, btw). One of our schoolmates sent me the steaks.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:34 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I would never in a million, billion years pay the prices for online meat or seafood. However, IF I did, it would be from Lobel's. I received a small gift of steak and it was mind-blowing. DH (ex-butcher and meat packing house owner) declared it the best steak he ever had, and is truly pissed that I refuse to pay those prices and order from them. (Maybe I'll give in for his 80th birthday.)

https://www.lobels.com

Disclaimer: I went to high school with the son who now owns the family business (nice guy, btw). One of our schoolmates sent me the steaks.
lobel's was one of my first meat books 36 years ago my sister got me for xmas...

Old 07-08-2019, 12:35 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Here is the list that I have been working on:

Allen Brothers, Chicago
https://www.allenbrothers.com/

They are very expensive and you get what you pay for. It is all USDA Prime Meat. They ship all over the country.

Usinger's, Milwaukee
https://www.usinger.com/

They make very good sausage and have a great number of varieties. Right now, I am working through some bockwurst (veal and pork) as well as some liverwurst. If you order from here, shipping rates are best in December.

Smithfield Marketplace
https://www.smithfieldmarketplace.co...y/country-hams

They sell some of the best country hams.

Hebert's Specialty Meats
Products Archive - Hebert's Specialty Meats

They have a great variety of Cajun specialties.

I have no recommendations for seafood as I live in the desert and would not feel comfortable having it mailed to me.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
The last couple of times I've bought Prime steaks from Costco they have not been good. Filets full of gristle.
Publix has next to no Prime beef, they have horrible quality. Neither do most of the stores near me. And certainly nobody sells American Wagyu. So I'm left with no other option than to order online. Just placed my first order with Snake River Farms. Also considering subscription to Butcher Box.

Does Omaha have a subscription service?
It is fine to shop at Costco or Sams for truly good meat, but they are not the same as website delivery service.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:27 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We never order meat on line but have ordered seafood many times. Our favorite place is Legal Seafood. I do want to add, the one thing we have gotten there that is awful is the crab cakes, not only are they yucky, but the price is out of this world. It is for all they have, but we still do enjoy splurging once in awhile. Where i I would never order from is Omaha Steaks. They used to be pretty good, now they are over the top price wise and under ground quality wise.

I agree. I was sent a few one Christmas. The filets were nothing to write home about and IMO were cut too thin. I do better both quality and price wise at a local super-market and they cut them thick enough to put a nice char on the outside and still have a pulse in the middle.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:45 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
If you are asking about the Snake River Farms in Idaho that sells Wagyu beef, among other things, I've bought their Wagyu from a local market and it was quite good.

I haven't purchased through the mail from them so have no idea how their mail order works.

The Wagyu wasn't graded, but it is Wagyu, so well marbled. It is not Kobe beef, which is a very special and expensive feeding process for Wagyu cattle, so it isn't quite that well marbled, but it is good.

Old 07-10-2019, 12:52 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
This thread reminds me. My son returned home from out of state to find a 20 pound box of seafood sitting on his doorstep. It had been there long enough for the label to be rinsed off with the rain. Someone had a very expensive loss because their package of seafood was mis-delivered.

He was very cautious getting the box picked up and hauled to the dump, afraid the package would break open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink