Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 05:25 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,098,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I second Wise, I grew up with Wise potato chips, and I always preferred them to Lays.

Do they still make Wise chips? I haven't seen them anywhere in years. They absolutely were the thinnest and crispiest.

I probably don't eat potato chips more than 3 or 4 times a year - if that. Now I prefer the thicker Kettle Cooked variety.

I was never a huge fan of Lays or Utz.
They still make Wise. I usually buy the small 25 cent bag from the corner bodega. Some stores charge more for the same size.

I don't get them very often either. Just a small bag once ore twice a year is enough to satisfy me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 04:26 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
They still make Wise. I usually buy the small 25 cent bag from the corner bodega. Some stores charge more for the same size.

I don't get them very often either. Just a small bag once ore twice a year is enough to satisfy me.

Really? Where? I haven't seen those 25 cent bags since I lived in NY.

I love "Wise". - including the burned chips.

Old 05-19-2019, 04:31 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Wise are still around. I see them here and there. For myself I love the taste of Kettle chips, but mostly can't eat them now because of tmj and dental work. So I stick to the thin, easy-to-eat Lays. Chips are a guilty pleasure!

Wow. I just never see them where I currently live.

I really d like the Kettle Chips and the Cape Cod style chips, which are more substantial and delicious in their own way.

Everything in moderation.

Old 05-19-2019, 04:38 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Wish I had a time machine to bring some Wise and Cain’s chips from that era, plus Peggy Lawton cookies and Drake’s Yodels from that era. While we’re at it, chicken that tasted like chicken, pork that tasted like
pork, fresh Macoun apples...
My dad used to work at Continental Bakery off Rt 128, Newton (?) that was Drake's. We never wanted for Yodels or any other goodie Drake's made.

Old 05-19-2019, 04:42 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
My dad used to work at Continental Bakery off Rt 128, Newton (?) that was Drake's. We never wanted for Yodels or any other goodie Drake's made.
Did they have a factory in Mansfield, too? One of the neighborhood moms (had like 12 kids) got a part-time job there. In not that much time, she gained a noticeable amount of weight.

Old 05-20-2019, 12:49 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
When I was kid, these were my father's go-to-chip. I never particularly liked them as they had way too many "burned" chips.
That's what I love about Wise potato chips. When you want the thin, crispness of the Lay's style, but with the depth of potato flavor that comes with a well cooked potato chip like kettle cooked chips.

Also that trademark shade of blue bag just screams "bag of chips" to me.

Old 05-20-2019, 10:57 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Wish I had a time machine to bring some Wise and Cain’s chips from that era, plus Peggy Lawton cookies and Drake’s Yodels from that era. While we’re at it, chicken that tasted like chicken, pork that tasted like
pork, fresh Macoun apples...
Give a foodie a time machine, and this is the kind of thing we’d do.. not assassinate Hitler or something more historically meaningful. I’d go to the 80’s or 90’s and bring back a big bag of PB Max candies.

As for potato chips, I guess I don’t think thin is an advantage. I love kettle chips.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:01 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Give a foodie a time machine, and this is the kind of thing we’d do.. not assassinate Hitler or something more historically meaningful. I’d go to the 80’s or 90’s and bring back a big bag of PB Max candies.

As for potato chips, I guess I don’t think thin is an advantage. I love kettle chips.
PB Crisps! The peanuts that were not real peanuts... lol loved those!

But as for chips... salt & vinegar kettle chips... mmm

Old 05-22-2019, 05:45 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Pringles are thin so are lays regular chips

Old 05-23-2019, 04:45 PM

21,927 posts, read 9,494,494 times
IMO, the best chip of all time was Laura Scudder's (I think) made with peanut oil and sea salt. I used to buy them at a small organic grocery on the west side of LA. I can't recall the name. Wild Oats or something similar. I don't think they exist anymore. I can't stand kettle chips and I think the good brand that Whole Foods used to sell went out of business. (Michaels).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink