Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 01:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times

Advertisements

I wonder how the impossible burger stacks up to a beef burger. I am posing the question in the general section, because I’d like input from people who do eat burgers. Have you seen them at the grocer? Have you cooked one? Eaten one at a fast food place? If so, did you like it? Please share your thoughts.

Old 05-28-2019, 01:44 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
I eat burgers but prefer non meat if it is tasty. There are a few places in Dallas with excellent plant based burgers. I don't really need to eat pork or steak so, if good tasting plant based burgers are readily available, I will give up red meat entirely. For that matter, if/when there are more readily available plant based meat substitutes at most restaurants/grocers I would happily give up eating meat entirely. Hopefully we are moving in that direction.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:02 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
The Impossible Burger isn't out yet at grocery stores. Later this year. Instead we eat the Beyond Burger at home.

The Impossible burger is excellent and we go to particular restaurants just to get it.

Old 05-28-2019, 04:21 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
The Impossible Burger isn't out yet at grocery stores. Later this year. Instead we eat the Beyond Burger at home.

The Impossible burger is excellent and we go to particular restaurants just to get it.
How does the flavor and texture of the Impossible burger compare to a good beef burger?

Old 05-28-2019, 04:36 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
it tastes like mulch.....but im bias'd I don't like the imitations.. if its going to be plant based....don't call it burger call it ground turnip ..or whatever it is...

but I also sell 4 different items of beyond/impossible burgers and kielbasa..

its an option for the grass-fed folks

and yes...ive had over 8 companies meet with me to sell their products...or meatless burgers.. if I blind sample them …..9-1 most will choose the regular burger ...for taste/flavor.

if I identify what it is.... the customers that WANT to believe they taste as good or better will just about break out in applause..
even if I switch the labels...….the beyond burger ..has a halo...like the word "organic"
my rural stores....very few care about beef alternatives...but go in the city...and the bark & mulch people..... love this stuff..

not everyone thinks this stuff is "healthy"

BEYOND MEAT IS BEYOND UNHEALTHY - The Science Of Eating

Old 05-28-2019, 04:37 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Love the Impossible Burger. Very beef-like texture.

Old 05-28-2019, 04:53 PM

1,168 posts, read 775,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
it tastes like mulch.....but im bias'd I don't like the imitations.. if its going to be plant based....don't call it burger call it ground turnip ..or whatever it is...

but I also sell 4 different items of beyond/impossible burgers and kielbasa..

its an option for the grass-fed folks

and yes...ive had over 8 companies meet with me to sell their products...or meatless burgers.. if I blind sample them …..9-1 most will choose the regular burger ...for taste/flavor.

if I identify what it is.... the customers that WANT to believe they taste as good or better will just about break out in applause..
even if I switch the labels...….the beyond burger ..has a halo...like the word "organic"
my rural stores....very few care about beef alternatives...but go in the city...and the bark & mulch people..... love this stuff..

not everyone thinks this stuff is "healthy"

BEYOND MEAT IS BEYOND UNHEALTHY - The Science Of Eating
Call me crazy but I feel like it's the absence of cholesterol that you get in the alternatives. I only say so because of the times in the past I've tried to go without animal products and I would always find myself craving high cholesterol foods like eggs and shellfish. No matter how much fat and protein I would be sure to get in my meals, that would be the one thing missing from them.

And no, the Impossible Whopper is likely not healthier either. It has nearly the same amount of calories and macros as the real thing

https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...hopper-healthy

Old 05-28-2019, 06:53 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
How does the flavor and texture of the Impossible burger compare to a good beef burger?
Very similar.

I love the Impossible Burger.

Old 05-29-2019, 12:46 AM

388 posts, read 307,081 times
I was at a trade show for a food service vendor recently, which was the first time I'd heard of these. I would not choose it if I were craving a real beef burger, but I was surprised by how good it was. I didn't look at the calories and macros, but I'm not surprised that by the time you add all the other stuff, a restaurant version isn't going to be any "healthier" than a beef burger.

Old 05-29-2019, 01:01 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
One can go down a list of chemicals in just about anything and cherry pick out of context studies to come up with the conclusion it's not healthy, just like this extremely biased agenda driven source you came up with did. As soon as I see a "source" talking about how dangerous MSG is I roll my eyes and click away.

As far as healthy, many people eat stuff like this for reasons other than trying to be healthier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink