Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 08:15 AM

401 posts, read 528,365 times

Advertisements

I have heard wildly conflicting information. Anything from -it is poisonous and you can't eat it because of the
urushiol - to it is the most nutritious part of the fruit and is totally edible. I bought a mango yesterday and didn't realize what a mess and how much trouble it would be to eat - so just decided to eat the skin. I also head heard that the skin tastes terrible. Not only did I not think there was much difference in the taste between the skin (when eaten with the fruit), but I did not notice any rash or irritation on my hands, lips or mouth.

So did I just get lucky? Anyone else eat the skin or have any experiences trying to - one way or another? I'm also puzzled why they don't sell canned mango - at least I didn't see any last night when I was at the store. Do they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 08:42 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
I have seen canned mango, but AFAIK it was always in heavy syrup (read: sugar). Mango pulp is quite common - look ibn the Hispanic good section. Makes an outstanding margarita.I

Can't comment on the skin.

Old 05-31-2019, 02:11 PM

338 posts, read 311,063 times
I've heard that people who tend to be more allergic to poison ivy are the ones who tend to be sensitive to mango skin.

I don't have a reliable source to back that up, though.

Old 05-31-2019, 02:23 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Mango skin is edible and packed with nutrients like vitamins, fiber and antioxidants. Though it may offer health benefits, it has an unpleasant taste, may preserve pesticide residues and contains compounds that may cause allergic reactions. While eating mango skin is safe for most people, it's unnecessary.

Old 05-31-2019, 03:00 PM

2,039 posts, read 1,659,151 times
Mangos I've bought sometimes have what looks and smells like evergreen sap coming out of the cut stem. They can have that on the skin too, although I think that is just from tumbling around in the box with other mangos. It's made me not want to eat the skin and I haven't. With some practice you separate the good part from the skin and the pit fairly quickly and without too much fuss.

Old 05-31-2019, 03:19 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Mango skin is edible and packed with nutrients like vitamins, fiber and antioxidants. Though it may offer health benefits, it has an unpleasant taste, may preserve pesticide residues and contains compounds that may cause allergic reactions. While eating mango skin is safe for most people, it's unnecessary.

Can't imagine it tasting worse than the inside..

Mango and I do not get along.

Old 05-31-2019, 06:26 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
one of my guilty food pleasures is dried mango slices......but a yellowish particular kind..... no store in maine carries this....I found in a store around boston

I buy some every week when im at this particular store

ive always peeled mango skin...thought it tasted like squash …..
but also think it was a bit waxy

Old 05-31-2019, 06:43 PM

4,692 posts, read 3,472,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
I have heard wildly conflicting information. Anything from -it is poisonous and you can't eat it because of the
urushiol - to it is the most nutritious part of the fruit and is totally edible. I bought a mango yesterday and didn't realize what a mess and how much trouble it would be to eat - so just decided to eat the skin. I also head heard that the skin tastes terrible. Not only did I not think there was much difference in the taste between the skin (when eaten with the fruit), but I did not notice any rash or irritation on my hands, lips or mouth.

So did I just get lucky? Anyone else eat the skin or have any experiences trying to - one way or another? I'm also puzzled why they don't sell canned mango - at least I didn't see any last night when I was at the store. Do they?
Never knew you were not supposed to eat mango skin. I am 50 and have been eating it since I was a wee one. I am semi ok!

Yes you can buy canned mango. Ever look in the Goya section?

Old 05-31-2019, 08:10 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,142,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Can't imagine it tasting worse than the inside..

Mango and I do not get along.
Try better mangoes- those being imported into the US from India. You may start loving mangoes.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:15 PM

1,199 posts, read 660,824 times
I too sometimes am too lazy to peel off the skin so I just eat it with skin on. I've never had a problem with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink