Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you butter your bread for a sandwich?
Butter plain or flavored 17 20.73%
Margarine or other fat (mayo, olive oil...) 21 25.61%
Dairy spread (brie, cream cheese... ) 0 0%
Veggie spread (avocado, hummus, ajvar, bean dip...) 4 4.88%
Other (marmite, vegemite, mustard, sauce...) 11 13.41%
Dry bread 29 35.37%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 07:11 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
If I make a sandwich to eat right now, I do not butter. But if I make a sandwich to pack for lunch, I do butter, because it protects the bread from sogging out.
I have a kid who hates condiments, so when I packed his school lunches it was two pieces of bread in one plastic bag, and the meat/cheese/whatever in a separate bag. He built his sandwich at lunch, no sogginess, no muss, no fuss. I couldn't eat it dry like that, but he loved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 07:57 AM

13,484 posts, read 9,027,668 times
I have always used butter/margarine (usually use Flora now) on a sandwich, no matter what the filling is.
I find it strange that anyone wouldn't, it would make for a very dry sandwich.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:50 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
That was my thought too. It seems buttering sandwiches isn't uncommon to many, yet never in my life have I gotten a sandwich in a restaurant, diner, or deli where it was made that way. And, I wouldn't have eaten it if it was. When I was a kid my friend's mother always put butter on sandwiches and I hated it.

On the other hand, I love real butter and bread, alone.
I don't think it was a restaurant or deli thing, but a homemade sandwich thing. You know, I want to ask my mother about this. I think people like her and my father, of Dutch and English descent and growing up in during the Depression in a small town, probably only had butter. They might not have known about mayonnaise any more than they knew about spaghetti.

Now by the time we kids came along in the 1950s, they used mayonnaise in things like tuna salad (we only ever had Miracle Whip, actually, because it was cheaper), but I don't remember even my parents ever putting mayonnaise on a sandwich. The bread was always buttered. Sometimes my father ate mustard on his sandwiches. I didn't even realize when I was little that when my mother gave us "tunafish" that it had mayonnaise/Miracle Whip in it.

I can distinctly recall the first time I had mayonnaise as a sandwich spread. A friend and I were going down the shore for the day and we stopped and bought sandwiches at a deli. She told me to try what she was having--turkey and provolone with mayonnaise. I wasn't much on cheese at the time, had never tasted provolone before, and I was leery of the mayo idea, but I went with her suggestion, and it was a good sandwich. I was probably 18 or 19 years old.

At 90, Mom's kind of hard of hearing so it would be awkward to call and have this conversation, but I will see her in person next week, and I'm going to ask if she had mayonnaise growing up or not.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:16 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Ms. Elnina,
Ever had a Rueben sandwich?
They are delicious!
Take seeded rye bread, and a bit of olive or grapeseed oil, heated in skillet. Toast both sides of two slices.
Set aside.
Meanwhile, make the dressing, or sandwich spread. Mayonnaise, with a dash of ketchup, enough to turn it pink. Add diced sour pickles, and spread each slice of bread.
In same skillet, add sauerkraut, corn beef, heat until sizzling. Top with a slice of swiss, cover to let swiss cheese melt. Remove and add to bread. Serve with a koscher dill. Slice in half and enjoy.
For a different take, use sour cream in place of the mayonnaise. Mix the ketchup with the sour cream just as if it were mayo. Completely changes the flavor profile and works so much better with the sauerkraut and corned beef. I think the original version of "russian" dressing was sour cream based rather than mayonnaise based.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:31 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
I have always used butter/margarine (usually use Flora now) on a sandwich, no matter what the filling is.
I find it strange that anyone wouldn't, it would make for a very dry sandwich.
Huh??

Why would slathering mustard and/or mayo on your bread instead of butter "...make for a very dry sandwich"?

Old 06-03-2019, 02:35 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
EDIT: Dry bread is winning the poll??
lol! Personally, I didn't vote because there wasn't an option for picking multiple options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
That was my thought too. It seems buttering sandwiches isn't uncommon to many, yet never in my life have I gotten a sandwich in a restaurant, diner, or deli where it was made that way. And, I wouldn't have eaten it if it was. When I was a kid my friend's mother always put butter on sandwiches and I hated it.

On the other hand, I love real butter and bread, alone.
I guess you've never eaten in a kosher deli. Butter on a sandwich made with any type of meat is a no-no there

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Huh??

Why would slathering mustard and/or mayo on your bread instead of butter "...make for a very dry sandwich"?
Yes, I was wondering exactly that (or cream cheese, avocado, etc, etc.)

Last edited by emm74; 06-03-2019 at 03:16 PM..

Old 06-03-2019, 02:57 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
I put butter on my peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and if I'm grilling a sandwich...I use butter.

Most other types of sandwiches, it's mustard and mayonaise, together.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:08 PM

1,264 posts, read 667,198 times
Growing up the sandwiches my mother made me besides pb&j were usually white bread, miracle whip, and ham or another deli meat. My father's creations were usually Italian bread, butter, salami, and provolone or brick cheese. As I grew older, on occasion I preferred Heilmann's mayo but only with ham and lettuce. But most of the time I continued making my dad's sandwiches. I'm vegan now so don't make too many sandwiches other than the occasional pb&j on homemade sourdough bread.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:17 PM

1,199 posts, read 725,230 times
I don't add butter or mayo unless there is a wet component in the filling and it's going to sit there. The butter keeps soggy things from soaking through the bread but otherwise its unnecessary and adds fat.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:25 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

I guess you've never eaten in a kosher deli. Butter on a sandwich made with any type of meat is a no-no there
That was my point. I have indeed eaten in kosher delis, and butter was never part of the sandwich, nor was it in any restaurant or diner in my experience, which is why I'm surprised that for so many posters it's common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink