Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you butter your bread for a sandwich?
Butter plain or flavored 17 20.73%
Margarine or other fat (mayo, olive oil...) 21 25.61%
Dairy spread (brie, cream cheese... ) 0 0%
Veggie spread (avocado, hummus, ajvar, bean dip...) 4 4.88%
Other (marmite, vegemite, mustard, sauce...) 11 13.41%
Dry bread 29 35.37%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 04:57 PM

6,393 posts, read 3,863,854 times

Advertisements

It depends on the sandwich. I don't see cheese or mayo or whatever as some staple of sandwich-making; it goes on if the sandwich warrants it. It's another ingredient of the sandwich just like lettuce or ham.

Butter a sandwich? No way. I used to have a babysitter that would put butter on peanut-butter sandwiches. It was gross. (I was a little kid; it didn't occur to me to ask for my sandwiches without the butter. I just figured it was an odd thing they did in their house, inwardly cringed whenever there were peanut-butter sandwiches, and tried to eat it as quickly as possible to get it down and over with.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
For you non-butter eaters, what do you put on toast? Or do you not eat toast?
I put butter on toast. But that's not a "sandwich." That's butter on toast (just like plain bread with butter is... bread with butter. Still not a sandwich).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 05:06 PM

88,042 posts, read 83,864,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Unsalted butter is nice for baking and for some sweet applications, such as scones, but for a sandwich, I don't want a sweet or sweetish spread. I think that's why I prefer mayonnaise (my homemade mayonnaise, which does not have sugar in it), as it's tangy.
I am still not wild about mayonnaise since I did not grow up eating it, but a thin spread on a sandwich is OK as well as some with tuna, etc. I don't like it thick and gloppy, though, as in potato or macaroni salads. As a matter of fact, although everyone loves my potato salad, I don't eat it myself.

The very best mayonnaise I've found is Trader Joe's Organic, which is tangy, as you say yours is. It costs a bit more, and it comes in a smaller jar, but it's worth it.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal Wench View Post
I've never heard of buttering the bread for a sandwich. With toast, yeah. But sandwiches are always mayo or mustard or hummus or avocado. How do you get the butter on the bread without tearing it to shreds?
Well, that's a whole other conversation, called "Do you keep your butter in the fridge or out at room temperature?"

At room temperature, it spreads just fine.

As a matter of fact, I find it annoying when I go for breakfast at a diner and they bring me little packets of hard, nearly-frozen butter to put on my toast.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-01-2019 at 05:24 PM..

Old 06-01-2019, 05:11 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,521,160 times
My mom always buttered bread for sandwiches. She said it was to keep the bread from getting soggy. I quit doing it during the saturated fat scare. Now that I eat Keto so no bread, I make lettuce wraps and use mayo or cream cheese.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:22 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,032,663 times
Not butter, and I would not consider margarine and mayo as being at all equivalent in terms of a sandwich spread

I use different things depending on the sandwich and my mood. Mayo, mustard, cream cheese, boursin, avocado or guac are some of the more common options.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The poll didn't allow for more than one option. I butter. Most of us, I think, grew up with buttered sandwiches. But more recently, I've started making my own avocado spread, for certain types of sandwiches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Most of us? And you're basing that on what, exactly? Certainly not the poll so far. I, for one, had never even heard of buttering bread to make a sandwich. (Toast, yes; sandwich, no.) In my entire life, the only choices that have ever come up for me or anyone I've ever known are mustard or mayo. Perhaps this is a regional thing.
I would have said the same thing before I read through this thread. I assumed that most people grew up with butter on sandwiches, too. I always thought mayonnaise and mustard were in that category of things that grown-ups ate that kids couldn't understand why because they tasted so bad.

Funny how we assume our experience is universal. I was shocked when my daughter was a toddler and liked cheese and pickles (not together), because those were things I learned to like as an adult but would never have eaten as a kid. I mentioned to other people how odd it was that she ate those things at her age and found out that other people had also.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:30 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,234,175 times
One of my grandfathers would butter the bread before making sandwiches. I never do. He was the only person I ever knew to do so. I suspect it was related to the time period in which he was a child and adult. Condiments like mayo had to be made--no run to the grocery for a jar.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:33 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,074,815 times
I didn’t answer the poll as dry bread isn’t an option for me either. I don’t use butter on sandwiches at all anymore, since I was a kid. I use mayonnaise now and mustard on most sandwiches. When growing up everyone buttered their sandwiches and mayonnaise was seldom used. At lunch and dinner time we’d have a stack of Wonder bread on the table and a stick of butter.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:33 PM

3,068 posts, read 7,982,309 times
My wife butters her bread for a sandwich. She was taught to do that early in life. I wasn't so I don't. But any sandwich I eat includes mayo. I like mustard but I get indigestion from it and unfortunately many other favorites.

I assume butter either makes a sandwich more savory to some people or helps the makings stick to the bread.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
My wife butters her bread for a sandwich. She was taught to do that early in life. I wasn't so I don't. But any sandwich I eat includes mayo. I like mustard but I get indigestion from it and unfortunately many other favorites.

I assume butter either makes a sandwich more savory to some people or helps the makings stick to the bread.
Same here. Last night I allowed myself a small amount of mustard. It was so good, but I got nervous waiting for the heartburn and sick feeling. It was minimal, though. When I was a kid, I tried to eat hot dogs. They smelled so good, but I would throw up when I was about halfway through. I stopped eating hot dogs because they made me so sick.

At some point in my adult life, I realized that it wasn't the hot dogs after all. It was the mustard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink