Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 02:24 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times

Advertisements

One of the strangest things for me in American food is that people eat mostly beef hot dogs. Trust me its a bad product and its prevalence may explain the low standing of hot dogs in the food hierarchy over here. A real frank should have pork in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 03:45 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Right, Mexico alone has endless pork dishes. Such as pork in Mole Poblano, which is commonly found in NYC.
Mole Poblano is a sauce that can go with anything.

Quote:
That's an elementary level understanding of Mexican food. Just because that's what you see in taco trucks doesn't mean Mexicans don't do a million other things with pork.

And Italy is European and their cuisine has plenty of pork.
No it is not. It is pretty much what it is. Are you saying they dont eat tacos, huaraches, enchiladas, and burritos in Mexico?

And I already mention Latin, and Asian cuisine

If Italy uses plenty of pork besides sausages, why they not featured in most of their restaurant unless its an occasional special

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Germany too.
Already mention German and Polish

Quote:
Yep, and there are quite a few German restaurants in NYC.

This thread is silly because the premise is "pork is hardly popular in NYC restaurants except for all types of Asian, all types of Latino, Italian, German, Soul, Barbecue, Cajun, Breakfast, etc."
Again did you even read the OP? Are there are certainly not as many German restaurants as there are others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
I would digress on sausage. It most certainly can be a main dish. We frequently have brats with sauerkraut or Italian sausage as a main dish. We do this at my restaurant frequently as well. I would also consider one-pot dishes I frequently make with sausage as the added protein to be a "main entree" such as a sausage pasta and red beans and rice.

And, ham isn't a main entree? I'll have to let all my holiday guests know this next time.
Sausage, and Ham are not used as main entree ingredients in NYC metro. I have been to other metros and have noticed the same thing. Sausage pasta, sausage is a topping.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:16 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Sausage, and Ham are not used as main entree ingredients in NYC metro. I have been to other metros and have noticed the same thing. Sausage pasta, sausage is a topping.
Well, if you specifically want this to be about the NYC metro, as large as it as and this is about food, but it does have its own dedicated forum, yes?

Sausage is not a "topping" in sausage pasta. A) It's the protein in the dish; B) It's a one bowl/plate dish. The sausage is no more or less important than the pasta, sauce, or any vegetables contained within the dish. Just like red beans and rice, etc.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:42 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,244,991 times
it goes back to the wrongful vilification of fat for the last 50 years. People were brainwashed into thinking lean meat was healthier and so lean pork chops are what you get.

I hate lean pork. The best parts for me are the ribs (st louis, country, baby back) and maybe a shoulder but I don't care for pulled pork or carnitas.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:56 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Delicious but it disappears into tinyness when you cook it.

Holy cow, they now butcher the **** outta pork........if it is not bacon, it seems like they are trying to remove every last scrap of fat.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:30 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Delicious but it disappears into tinyness when you cook it.

Holy cow, they now butcher the **** outta pork........if it is not bacon, it seems like they are trying to remove every last scrap of fat.
It depends upon where you buy it. I buy mine at Whole Foods because for one, they're raised outside in pasture, and two...minus antibiotics which are still legal somehow in the pork industry (but not with poultry). Whole Foods does a great job butchering leaving a significant fat edge (about a half inch) on their bone-in chops which are a thing to behold, and the flavor...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...59730558813611

Old 06-04-2019, 04:44 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,080,849 times
Our sausage making is predominately pork. Cochinita Pibil is pretty popular in the Yucatan. Cubans love pork, which is usually featured on Christmas Eve as suckling pig. I use a lot of pork shoulder/butt as BBQ, roasts and pot roast. Pork soup dumplings are often part of a Dim Sum menu. Italians seem to love porchetta and prosciutto.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:27 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
One of the strangest things for me in American food is that people eat mostly beef hot dogs. Trust me its a bad product and its prevalence may explain the low standing of hot dogs in the food hierarchy over here. A real frank should have pork in it.
I would hypothesize that since hot dogs became the easy sandwich for sporting venues and the religious objections of many fans lead to the kosher or just no pork hot dog, just like at the ballpark, theatre, or boxing ring.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:08 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I would hypothesize that since hot dogs became the easy sandwich for sporting venues and the religious objections of many fans lead to the kosher or just no pork hot dog, just like at the ballpark, theatre, or boxing ring.
Another reason: in the US, beef is more expensive, and has a more upscale image than pork. Beef is associated with a steak dinner, in addition to hamburgers, while pork is associated with breakfast (bacon) and backyard barbecues (sausages). So an "all beef" hot dog sounds fancier than a standard beef-and-pork hot dog, even though the meat in it is cheap and mechanically separated. This means the seller can get away with charging more. Plus, they can sell to Jews and Muslims, who otherwise won't buy their product. It was probably the Hebrew National brand that made all-beef hot dogs mainstream. It was founded in New York, to cater to its large Jewish population. Very soon, gentiles embraced them too, due to a perceived reputation of kosher beef being a purer product.

To elaborate, kosher laws consist of more than simply avoiding pork and combinations of meat and dairy; there's a long list of them. But less-observant Jews do just that, and consider it sufficient. So, if an all-beef hot dog contains whey protein as a filler, it's not kosher. I don't know much about halal laws, so I can't comment there.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:16 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Mole Poblano is a sauce that can go with anything.

No it is not. It is pretty much what it is. Are you saying they dont eat tacos, huaraches, enchiladas, and burritos in Mexico?

And I already mention Latin, and Asian cuisine
Continuing to double down on something that is not true won't somehow make it true. Did you even read the link I posted back on the earlier pages detailing the multi varied nature of Mexican cuisine??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink