Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 07:39 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

It's just not the same as the pork we ate in the 1960s. I liked the fatty version more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 10:22 PM

905 posts, read 1,103,020 times
Truthfully, I probably eat more pork than any other red meat - although it's typically as an important ingredient inside of/part of a dish, as opposed to the star of the meal.

It's probably because I enjoy a lot of Hispanic and Asian cuisine. It's Carnitas, Adobada, or Cochinita Pibil for me virtually every time I eat Mexican food. And I'm an avid fan of Vietnamese lemongrass pork, whether as a noodle bowl, or in a bahn mi.

But even in more American/western dishes, pulled pork is pretty much my go-to choice for BBQ food. And a pork chop done right with some veggies on the side is always a winner for me. Pork belly is also great (And I recommend it to those who find pork tenderloin/chops too dry).

Old 06-13-2019, 09:17 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That's the problem for me. It's so lean that it's often dry.

Because people want everything so nice and easy to eat. You need bone-in pork chops to keep it moist and to add flavor. I cook chops allllllllllllllllllllll the time and they're never dry. The parts along the bone are sooooooooooooooo delish. I never, ever buy the chops with no bone. Dry and tasteless cardboard.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:31 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It's just not the same as the pork we ate in the 1960s. I liked the fatty version more.
That. The new pork that I buy - even when I buy "up" - is tasteless and dry. I keep trying to find ways to cook it, and then dip it in apple sauce so you don't choke on it.

I don't want really fatty, either, though.

So yeah. Pork is underutilized in my house. There is so much healthier/tastier food available.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:35 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Because people want everything so nice and easy to eat. You need bone-in pork chops to keep it moist and to add flavor. I cook chops allllllllllllllllllllll the time and they're never dry. The parts along the bone are sooooooooooooooo delish. I never, ever buy the chops with no bone. Dry and tasteless cardboard.
Well, yes. If I buy pork chops with a lot of fat, they're VERY delicious, especially the fat part of that chop.

When I buy bone in pork chops, thin, cheap, lots of fat, and coat them with Shake and Bake, hm hmmm, good.

If you have another way to do them where they aren't completely fatty, I'd love to hear it! ;D

Old 06-15-2019, 12:30 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, yes. If I buy pork chops with a lot of fat, they're VERY delicious, especially the fat part of that chop.

When I buy bone in pork chops, thin, cheap, lots of fat, and coat them with Shake and Bake, hm hmmm, good.

If you have another way to do them where they aren't completely fatty, I'd love to hear it! ;D
Here they dredge in flour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG77NcLJA8o

Old 06-15-2019, 04:26 AM

8,757 posts, read 5,055,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
A pork chop without some fat is going to be very dry.
Ahhh to be young again.....enjoy it while you can.

Old 06-15-2019, 04:59 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Well I am one of those who love the new pork better than the pork we ate growing up. Of course it is healthier. For some things we use shoulder which does have more fat. I can make a darn good and moist chop of roast without the fat, just cook it less time.
Our weekly meat menu goes pretty much like this
chicken twice:
fish twice
pork twice
beef or brats 1 time

Sometimes we don't have fish that often cause of the cost. If that is the case, we will go vegetarian or on more chicken. Rarely do we have beef more than once, but we do on occasion.

Old 06-15-2019, 06:22 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well I am one of those who love the new pork better than the pork we ate growing up. Of course it is healthier. For some things we use shoulder which does have more fat. I can make a darn good and moist chop of roast without the fat, just cook it less time.
Our weekly meat menu goes pretty much like this
chicken twice:
fish twice
pork twice
beef or brats 1 time

Sometimes we don't have fish that often cause of the cost. If that is the case, we will go vegetarian or on more chicken. Rarely do we have beef more than once, but we do on occasion.

good post.... many still overcook pork because they think they have to....but I don't and its juicy....usda recommends 145f on pork to be cooked (use to be 160)
if its ground pork still cook to 160f (will kill any and all bacteria)

our stores have pork on sale for ridiculously low prices .99lb for pork butts or even pork loins for assorted chops...that's when to stock up..

also buy bone in pork... not boneless.....you will be more than satisfied with the bone..
tastier & juicier

Old 06-15-2019, 01:18 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
good post.... many still overcook pork because they think they have to....but I don't and its juicy....usda recommends 145f on pork to be cooked (use to be 160)
if its ground pork still cook to 160f (will kill any and all bacteria)

our stores have pork on sale for ridiculously low prices .99lb for pork butts or even pork loins for assorted chops...that's when to stock up..

also buy bone in pork... not boneless.....you will be more than satisfied with the bone..
tastier & juicier
As for us, bone in anything has more flavor. As I understand it the bones have a lot of flavor, so when cooking bone in the flavor of the bones will reach the meat. This goes for lamb and chicken as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink