Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 08:04 PM

4,168 posts, read 3,357,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I tend to cook meat according to its age . the older the more heat it gets.
Personally I like a steak medium rare. the reason is ,our bodies live on living tissue, and dead tissue is like a sludge our bodies do not process well, as a result so many health issues among us .mostly due to poor circulation due to this sludge.
This due to a doctors study for the government 30 years ago on stale foods.
Long before that as a kid I discovered that eating oat meal like cold cereal in stead of cooking it gave me more energy through the day, and in those days I was playing foot ball in high school in the mountains (7000 ft elevation) where I lived .
Cooking the life out of food is not your friend .

Do some research on the Fresh Food Diet.

I too am disappointed with modern grocery stores watering down the meat. If I knew it had a legitimate reason it would not bother me so much, but it seems as though it is just a way of cheating the public. But another reason I prefer unprocessed meat is you don't know how much sludge has been added to water ground meat down as well.
It pays to have one's own meat grinder and for that matter raise your own meat if you can.
I raise chickens for eggs and meat ,but if I had the acreage I'd have a cow or 2 .

Pretty much everything we eat is dead. Just try chomping on a live cow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 10:39 AM

32,480 posts, read 47,405,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Do grocery stores use relatively inferior meat to make ground meat? I suspect so because the best quality meat would be sold as it is, yes? .........

Inferior meat? Not really. But older animals that are tough and lean get ground into burger. There is nothing wrong with the meat. It is good meat, just tough. In fact, the flavor of meat from the older animals is better.

Toughness no longer matters after the meat is ground. The leaner meat is then used to cut the fat % by mixing it with meat that contains too much fat.

So, yes, meat that would not be sold as steaks. But it is not "inferior" meat.

Old retired bulls are called "baloney bulls" so my guess is that they end up in processed meat foods, not in your ground beef. You might get some old retired dairy cow, though.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:18 PM

16,349 posts, read 30,049,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Old retired bulls are called "baloney bulls" so my guess is that they end up in processed meat foods, not in your ground beef. You might get some old retired dairy cow, though.

That is accurate. Several of my friends worked in a stockyard in Detroit. About 80% of the slaughter was dairy cows, most of which went to ground beef..

In our area, many of the retired cows went to the processor where the meat was converted to ground beef and beef cuts for canning. Canned beef is one of the ugliest (and best tasting) product that I have ever had.

Last edited by jlawrence01; 06-19-2019 at 03:27 PM..

Old 06-21-2019, 12:23 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,561,453 times
Quote:
Inferior meat? Not really. But older animals that are tough and lean get ground into burger. There is nothing wrong with the meat. It is good meat, just tough. In fact, the flavor of meat from the older animals is better.

Toughness no longer matters after the meat is ground. The leaner meat is then used to cut the fat % by mixing it with meat that contains too much fat.

I had some friends who burgered a bull. they ended up with over 1000 lbs of 95% lean burger. I bought 50 lbs at $2/lb, and wish I had bought more.

I hear dairy cows end up as fast food burger.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:15 AM

4,523 posts, read 6,211,640 times
"I had some friends who burgered a bull"

I had a 3 yo grass fed Long Horn bull butchered, (not all burgered) after he injured himself.....he was low in marbling, but very tasty.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 04-15-2021, 10:32 PM

7,552 posts, read 8,584,456 times
Quote:

I had thought maybe the meat used for grinding was not fresh. If it's just tougher, but same freshness, it doesn't affect health.

Old 04-17-2021, 08:24 AM

19,954 posts, read 29,990,395 times
Here’s the beef on burger

You have a divide in the retail world with ground beef

Years ago all ground beef derived from bench/ steak trimmings then ground 2-3 times thru
A grinder

In the early 80’s instead of the designated ground chuck, ground round and ground sirloin
Many stores started displaying the lean/fat %
( because of the outcry of lean and low fat)

Many supermarkets and club stores would buy “ tube” burger - pre determined leanness preprocessed ten pound tubes - they opened them up and ground twice they grinder
And then could put the lean % stickers on package - this is the so called pink slime burger

Most butcher shops and smaller IGA stores still grind steak trimmings or whole muscles ( real burger stock) even today

Walmart and many supermarkets today bring in case ready burger from thousands of miles away - it’s easier, much less labor for the store. Particularly now that the government requires grinding logs( history)

Simply if you want the best burger .. at the best cost ... buy chuck steaks on sale and grind yourself either they an old hand crank .. or a kitchen aid grinder or on eBay are 2000 watt electric grinders for 69.00$

You can also buy a whole chuck primal ( shoulder clod or chuck roll) and grind yourself

Again most butcher shops and smaller independent stores sell steak trimming burger
Not tube stock or case ready

If you don’t know ... here’s what to ask
Do you grind bench trimmings daily for your burger or is it shipped in !??
If it’s % lean burger as if it was tube burger .. they will know what you mean

Look for ground chuck and ground round

I’ve been grinding burger for close to 40 yrs in stores from
Chain stores to butcher shops

Old 04-18-2021, 01:24 PM

11,874 posts, read 8,970,714 times
I don't eat a lot of beef, so I try to get decent quality when I do. Doesn't need to be a filet mignon, but I'll typically get sirloin - tastes nice, fairly tender, and yet not too pricey.... plus, you can normally get ground sirloin too and that's on the leaner side.

Old 04-18-2021, 04:42 PM

16,349 posts, read 30,049,961 times
Since the pandemic has eased up a bit, I have stopped purchasing my ground beef from Krogers.

I have been buying my ground meats (pork and beef) at two different Asian markets. Generally, the beef is priced at $1.99/lb for an 80/20 mix and pork at $0.99/lb. In both cases, the meat is ground IN-STORE and is immediately flash frozen in 1# portions. This allows me to place the supermarket pack into a freezer bag and throw it in the freezer until needed. This beats having to break down a large package of meat.

Old 04-18-2021, 09:09 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,313,139 times
well,I ocasionally buy grass fed beef from Asian supermarket-the filet mignon,but Asians are not beef eaters,they eat more pork and chicken.
filet mignon goes for $6.99-7.99 a lb.
But I buy my ground beef at Kroger ,the KR brand ,Nolan brand ,recently they have one even pricier but no one seems to be buying.
what is that cow which comes from Scotland?thats the ground beef I buy?
ANGUS,thats it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink