Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 03:50 AM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times

Advertisements

... why is so hard to buy one?
Herring is a very unpopular fish in the US.
When you go to a store, to the fish aisle - tuna is the king. Tuna in oil, tuna in light oil and tuna in water. Sometimes in tomato. Sooooo boring! There might be a can or two of salmon and mackerel, perhaps few sardines, a trout if you're lucky and that generally covers the fish assortment. Everything it's in oil or water. Lately mostly water. Few in tomato, or smoked.
All good, but there is more fish in the water. What about herring, bullhead, cod, pollock, sprats, flounder, pilchard... etc. Or smoked eel?
I love pickles herring, but it's almost impossible to buy where I live.

Last edited by elnina; 11-03-2018 at 04:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 03:59 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,085,168 times
I love it too. Most all local grocery stores carry it here as well as herring in cream sauce. What I really miss is the pickled boiling onions that were available in Maryland. Cocktail onions have the same flavor, but are so tiny.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:00 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,560,415 times
I am usually able to find it in the Jewish section of the stores elnina.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:59 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
i sell three different brands of pickled herring..

80% of the grocery stores in maine do sell them

I use to give them away as stocking stuffers.... (little jars, like baby food jars)

its funny its like dried/salted cod fillets...…..you'd think most of the buyers would be old people....but for whatever reason the pickled herring are making a slight comeback....
20 years ago id have guessed they'd go the way of the canned ham.... and slowly die

Old 11-03-2018, 05:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
I love it too. Most all local grocery stores carry it here as well as herring in cream sauce. What I really miss is the pickled boiling onions that were available in Maryland. Cocktail onions have the same flavor, but are so tiny.
I grew up with eating it all the time. My dad always had some in the fridge it seems. We especially enjoyed it when we had company. That was before the days of so many appetizers available. Our son in law, who was raised in a Jewish family also loves pickled herring but we hardly ever get it anymore. That is the price we pay for living in the sticks. I might actually pick some up when we are out Monday if I can find some.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:53 AM

43,680 posts, read 44,425,236 times
Usually it is easy to find in Jewish groceries/supermarkets, if the OP has any of those his/her area.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:07 AM

24,595 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I grew up with eating it all the time. My dad always had some in the fridge it seems. We especially enjoyed it when we had company. That was before the days of so many appetizers available. Our son in law, who was raised in a Jewish family also loves pickled herring but we hardly ever get it anymore. That is the price we pay for living in the sticks. I might actually pick some up when we are out Monday if I can find some.
Walmart, Aldi, Costco, .... You get the jarred stuff just about everywhere. Unfortunately matjes seem to be inexistent. At least I have never found them.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:24 AM

19,044 posts, read 27,620,833 times
I come from pickled herring country.
What they sell here in stores is vinegar nightmare. It is as far from what pickled herring tastes, as it could be.
Find a Russian deli. You can buy real barrel marinated herring there. Then look up how to make it with onions and sour cream. THAT is herring. Good 'ol Polish delicacy. I'd not buy anything in jars in those stores either, as preservatives ruin taste. That herring is DIY dish. Or, make famous "shooba", "fir coat" salad with barrel herring. Very healthy and super delicious.
In say TN, they wouldn't even put barrel herring on display at Russian store. It'd push customers away. Yes, there is something with the US and fish... many call it catfood and won't even consider.

https://natashaskitchen.com/shuba-wi...herring-salad/

https://natashaskitchen.com/selyodka-recipe/

Old 11-03-2018, 08:57 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,880,042 times
Chicago has a huge Polish population, and pickled herring is a popular food in Poland. Which means I can find pickled herring in any Polish supermarket, and even a higher-end mainstream supermarket, like Mariano's. It comes packed in sunflower oil, in tomato sauce, in vinegar, and in sour cream with onions. I eat it pretty often, with rye bread; most commonly as an appetizer before dinner, but pretty much at any meal, except breakfast on weekdays.

Look for a Polish supermarket. Being a Catholic country, Poland has a long history of fish-based dishes. Not to mention the strong influence from Russia, which also eats a lot of fish. If you don't mind trekking to Miami, it has large Russian and Jewish populations, which means local supermarkets carry their foods.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:49 AM

1,316 posts, read 748,958 times
Well, I live in the sticks. And I could find three different brands of pickled herring in one store--although here they are kept in the refrigerated section with the refrigerated pickles, or at the fish counter. I love the stuff! My grandma & I used to crack open a jar of Ma Bensch's & enjoy with Ritz crackers. My mother makes a pickled fish that is very similar in flavor. Lucky me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink