Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 05:41 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times

Advertisements

Is there a good way to do this? Do you cut the big thing into sections so they will fit into a few gallon bags and then cut those into lunch slices, a day at a time?

I'm asking for as I try to fight this Texas heat, my first Texas summer since being on 26 year of night shift, someone pointed out that with all my water drinking, I may be losing out on electrolytes. So I am looking for natural replacements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 10:38 AM

6,147 posts, read 4,514,052 times
I usually start by cutting it in half the short way. The half will sit in a bowl and you can cover the cut with plastic wrap. Then you have at the other half. Depending on the size that gets cut in half or quarters the opposite way, then into slices. Since I don't take mine in a lunch bag, I cut it off the rind to make space in my too-small-for-a-whole-watermelon fridge. It's still a horrendous mess to me, and a big chore, but I love watermelon, so I do it at least twice a summer.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:58 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
I line a sheet pan with several layers of paper towels, then put a cutting board on top of the paper towels. Cut the melon in half and put one half in a bowl. Cut the half on the board into quarters and then start cutting the slices. Cut watermelon keeps about three days before it starts to get soft and lose its flavor.

Watermelon has a diuretic effect on many people, so it may not provide the rehydration that you're looking for.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:32 AM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
How huge is the watermelon? Asking because it doesn't last me for long. I will eat it all in just a few days.
But if you want to cut it and store, here is a detailed instruction:
https://www.livestrong.com/article/4...re-watermelon/
Perhaps in the future buy a smaller fruit or share with your friends/neighbors. Watermelon, if cut and stored in the fridge, loses its flavor pretty fast.

However, there are other fruits/veggies that are great for hydration:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ass-water.html

Watermelons are 92% water, 8% sugar and contain essential rehydration salts calcium, magnesium, potassium and sodium. Watermelon is also rich in Vitamin C, as well as beta carotene and lycopene which will give the body protection from UV light.

But here is a better one: due to its 96% water content and mineral balance, a cucumber can produce similar hydration levels to twice the volume of water. It also contains almost ideal levels of calcium and magnesium, along with potassium, sodium and other minerals.
Cucumbers are also easier to keep them fresh for a longer period of time.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:56 PM

19,514 posts, read 9,537,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I usually start by cutting it in half the short way. The half will sit in a bowl and you can cover the cut with plastic wrap. Then you have at the other half. Depending on the size that gets cut in half or quarters the opposite way, then into slices. Since I don't take mine in a lunch bag, I cut it off the rind to make space in my too-small-for-a-whole-watermelon fridge. It's still a horrendous mess to me, and a big chore, but I love watermelon, so I do it at least twice a summer.
About the same here as well. We use those semi-clear plastic containers. I might get 2 of them filled using 1/2 of a cut up watermelon. They're usually finished off in a week's time - or less. Generally just get the small melons, or Tuscan melons from Costco. Same with the cantaloupes. Tomorrow AM [or PM] might be slice and dice time again at our house.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:50 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Cubes. Not slices.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:10 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
I just de-boned a small watermelon this morning. Cut it in quarters. Run a knife down the spine the long way. A bunch of slices through the meat. Run the knife between the rind and the meat at the center line of the quarter to make chunks. It's the same way I do cantaloupe.

It's easy to bring as much of it with you as you want either in containers or zip lock bags.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:21 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Cubes. Not slices.
That's what I do--immediately cut watermelon into chunks, and store in covered container in the fridge--it-ll keep for a few days, though it usually doesn't last that long.

I do the same with canteloupe.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:23 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I don't like watermelon at all, but others in my house do.

Here, it gets cut into chunks and stored in small containers, as do other melons.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:57 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
With sadness, I've given up on cantelope. Over the last 3 years, Everytime I've bought one, it's been tasteless and dry. Yes, they've been ripe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink