Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 09:00 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times

Advertisements

Ceramic non-stick. Olive oil. Medium low heat. Allow the oil to come up to temperature.

Drop in the eggs.

Let the bottom cook before using spatula... it will release and slide around freely over the oil.

I then drop some water next to the egg(s) and quickly cover with a top. Steams the top of the egg to bring it up to temperature without over cooking the yolk. Wait a second or two, uncover, and slide to plate.

I also use cast iron pans but usually for other dishes.. Always clean it with a damp cloth, rock salt, and oil... never in the sink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 05:34 AM

6,359 posts, read 4,181,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
omg, this is so interesting. part of the reason I'm going ANTI-TEFLON is because one of my "expensive" non-stick pans have worn down and looking closely I could see gaps of teflon missing from its surface (probably ingested). I'm trying to reduce our plastic and teflon intakes. We no longer use bottled water. Anyway, thanks for posting that!
You are correct in thinking all of that plastic, teflon and other coatings are dangerous especially when they start to wear. Season cast iron works as well an Teflon once you get with the program!

Old 08-16-2019, 12:58 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,160 times
I use stainless steel pan too. Wait for the pan to be very hot. How do you know? Drop a couple of water droplets onto it. If it rolls around smoothly on it, then the pan is hot enough. Add plenty of oil. Wait until the oil is hot. It will start smoking a bit. Since eggs get cooked very fast, turn the heat to low. Then pour the eggs in. The bottom of the eggs touching the oil should be cooked (and light browned) very fast. It should look ilke an omelette (one large piece). Use a spatula to scoop the egg up. You should be able to scoop it up with no pieces sticking to the pan.

Good luck.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:36 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,861,649 times
After I fry up the bacon, I turn off the burner, put some butter in and fry the eggs but keep the burner off or put it on the lowest setting. The heat from frying up the bacon cooks up the eggs enough which I put on medium with the bacon. I use cast iron skillet. If I use higher heat, the eggs cook too fast and stick. The eggs should cook slower and steadier.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:48 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
In other threads about cooking proteins, it's always brought up that the meat should be at room temp before you start cooking it. It never seems to come up in the subject of eggs. Doesn't it still apply? Anyway, that's what I do. Among other tips that have already been brought up.
As it happens, my eggs are always room temp anyway. They're from our chickens, and only get refrigerated if we have to wash them, which is pretty much just if somebody decides she's gonna lay on the ground instead of a nesting box, and it's muddy or poopy. Mostly, though, our eggs sit out.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:25 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
After I fry up the bacon, I turn off the burner, put some butter in and fry the eggs but keep the burner off or put it on the lowest setting. The heat from frying up the bacon cooks up the eggs enough which I put on medium with the bacon. I use cast iron skillet. If I use higher heat, the eggs cook too fast and stick. The eggs should cook slower and steadier.
Very good, I do the same whenever I get the urge for some bacon grease eggs. Saturated fats make the best non-stick coating for cooking eggs. Cast iron needs some good fats to cook eggs without sticking.

I always cook it medium heat and let the eggs sit and it just crusts up and slides off.

Old 10-02-2020, 07:15 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,571,216 times
The cheap nonstick skillets you threw away would have been just fine for eggs.

I cook mainly on stainless steel but always kept a $10 nonstick pan around for eggs. When it started showing wear and tear I buy a new one for another $10.

Old 10-02-2020, 08:12 AM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Glops of yummy grease/oil/butter..........that will fix them sticky eggs.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:04 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,048,341 times
Cheap non-stick skillet, spritz of Pam, they slide right out. I don't like when they get frizzled edges/bottoms.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:08 AM

8,753 posts, read 5,050,099 times
No matter what kind of pan you use.....a little butter, will do the trick. Plus, butter taste good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink