Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 08:54 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times

Advertisements

Then just do not look at do nuts. Problem solved.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:41 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,041,107 times
I agree with the OP about donuts. For me a plain glazed KK donut when the light is on is donut nirvana. Or a plain all chocolate cake donut with glaze. Too many adornments turn me off. Now a cupcake with lots of icing is a joy to behold as long as it isn't covered with sprinkles or other useless additions.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:48 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,163,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I don't know why this bothers me so much, but I get annoyed every time I see photos of donuts piled high with first glaze (keep in mind that both yeast and cake doughnuts are already sweet), then topped with icing, then coated with frosting, then capped with candies. It's often intended to appeal more to the eye or cellphone camera than to the taste buds, as who could ever crave such a mouthful of nothing but sugar? Especially first thing in the morning??? It's probably because I grew up on plain fried cake donuts, homemade by my mother and grandmother, dipped in black coffee. Our local bakery posts images of the ridiculous confections, some piled inches high with frosting and/or thick with sprinkles, and posters just rave about them. I am purist, and this offends me.
Check out the menu for Voodoo Donuts down in PDX.
Menu

Give me an apple fritter any day!

Old 08-14-2019, 10:46 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
A nice eggy French cruller for me. I can totally pass on cake style donuts, with or without fancy decorations. Second choice is a maple bar or twist.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:10 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
If I end up with a cupcake like that (at a potluck or party), I scrape off and dispose of all the but the thinnest layer of frosting, all that is needed, on what is - again - an already sweet cupcake. And I love candy. But baked breakfast goods are not, should not be, candy.

I just find it a silly, yes, GIMMICK and will be glad when the trend dies out, although with people still posting pics of their food after all these years of social media, it may never. I feel sorry for the children upon whom these saccharine confections are foisted (a target audience), as they'll never know tasteful, restrained pastry.
I kind of do the same. I scrape off the frosting and eat it, then toss out the cupcake.

But I don't like donuts, no texture.
Croissants and bagels are more my style, but no fruit or chocolate in the dough. Raisin bagels, yuck.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:22 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I never ever could understand why people would start a day with high sugary desserts.
Because they go well with morning coffee.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:21 AM

21,881 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I really hate icing /frosting, in general. And I dislike cake doughnuts. A glazed yeast-risen doughnut is okay once in a while, but they're still so sweet. And I don't like sweets for breakfast, anyway, so I'm more likely to have a doughnut as a snack later in the day. But it's more likely to be something lightly sweetened like a cruller with strong black coffee to cut it.

So, yeah, "extreme," "statement" doughnuts are for a different audience, not me.
Most glazed yeast doughnuts are still too sweet for me (and, again, I'm a huge fan of candy, but that's somehow different). I've been known to scrape the accumulated glaze off the bottom, where it gathers when cooling, and even to run one under the faucet to dissolve some of the glaze before consuming it.

But they're practically a health food compared to the artisanal DOUGHNUTS piled six inches high with gew-gaws (usually themed when directed at children).

Old 08-15-2019, 07:23 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well, it does not offend me, but I don’t eat most doughnuts. I prefer the plain cake doughnuts over all the others. I have always preferred these, for some reason. I will also eat a plain chocolate doughnut, glazed or unglazed.

But then, I don’t like heavily iced cake either.

For me, cake is just to hold the icing up, and to help soak up the ice cream. LOL

Old 08-15-2019, 07:50 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Well I can't even remember the last time I ate a donut let alone all the presently overdone works of art. I pass up the Krispy Kreme sold in grocery stores because while I enjoyed them 'back in the day' I stay away from sweets as much as possible.

I don't have anything else to give/pass up...except maybe Moose Tracks or Rocky Road ice cream when I am really craving it, which is not often at all.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:57 AM

1,347 posts, read 944,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It isn't that one doesn't expect doughnuts to be sweet, but since their gimmick is "creative" toppings, it would be neat if they didn't all taste pretty much the same, and essentially just sugar-bomby.

I hear ya, OP.

I like donuts (doughnuts, however you spell it), but only with a thin layer of frosting. I consider them a dessert food, not a breakfast food, but to each their own. I feel the same way about cupcakes - OK it looks pretty, but I'm going to scrape off at least 2.5" of that 3" frosting tower. And the frosting never really tastes like anything anyways - hence why I tend to prefer the cake donuts with chocolate or maple frosting that actually has a distinct flavor. I'm fine with glazed yeast donuts too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink