Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 07:58 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times

Advertisements

It's part of a trend to make extreme versions of foods.

They're just a different kind of donut, which I don't consider a breakfast food anyway, but a treat/dessert, like a cookie.

My heart would race for a few hours if I ate donuts for breakfast, even the plain kind.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:58 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Well I can't even remember the last time I ate a donut let alone all the presently overdone works of art. I pass up the Krispy Kreme sold in grocery stores because while I enjoyed them 'back in the day' I stay away from sweets as much as possible.

I don't have anything else to give/pass up...except maybe Moose Tracks or Rocky Road ice cream when I am really craving it, which is not often at all.
Even Krispy Kreme jumped on the bandwagon with their classic glazed. For the Fourth of July, they piled on additional red, white, and blue frosting and then sprinkles. Is nothing sacred?

Old 08-15-2019, 08:00 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
OP, you mean like this??

Hey, what about double donut burger?
That middle doughnut looks like a doughnut sundae, that's ice cream, whipped cream and hot fudge on that thing if my eyes don't deceive me! Too much!
However I would definitely try the burger doughnut, I enjoy weird combinations of sweet and savory. Maple bacon doughnuts are a great combination, in moderation.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
That middle doughnut looks like a doughnut sundae, that's ice cream, whipped cream and hot fudge on that thing if my eyes don't deceive me! Too much!
However I would definitely try the burger doughnut, I enjoy weird combinations of sweet and savory. Maple bacon doughnuts are a great combination, in moderation.
I would do the burger doughnut. Just a nice, plain glazed with the sweetness both cut and mitigated by some protein.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:00 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
When we keep our grands overnight, we take them to the doughnut store the next morning. They pick out one doughnut each, and the youngest is attracted to the colorful, frosted ones. The older one chooses simpler doughnuts. These are the only times I eat doughnuts now. This store makes really good quality doughnuts, and so a plain, unglazed is delicious as is with coffee. This shop also sells very good, locally roasted coffee.

I know that some people like frosting—a lot. I am just not one of those people.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:08 AM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I don't know why this bothers me so much, but I get annoyed every time I see photos of donuts piled high with first glaze (keep in mind that both yeast and cake doughnuts are already sweet), then topped with icing, then coated with frosting, then capped with candies. It's often intended to appeal more to the eye or cellphone camera than to the taste buds, as who could ever crave such a mouthful of nothing but sugar? Especially first thing in the morning??? It's probably because I grew up on plain fried cake donuts, homemade by my mother and grandmother, dipped in black coffee. Our local bakery posts images of the ridiculous confections, some piled inches high with frosting and/or thick with sprinkles, and posters just rave about them. I am purist, and this offends me.
Well, I could do without the candles, but the rest of what you described sounds delicious even if not particularly healthy. But everything in moderation. I do like frosting and icing and glaze.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:03 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I will concede that I'm not a fan of these fancy hipster donuts. But I can't imagine being offended by the food that other people choose to eat.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:42 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Check out the menu for Voodoo Donuts down in PDX.
Menu

Give me an apple fritter any day!
Voodoo Doughnut will do custom orders for you, if you want. I ordered a bunch of special doughnuts from Voodoo II in Portland for the band, GWAR, and the band dresses in like monster costumes, and the people at Voodoo Doughnut made doughnuts actually shaped and decorated to look like each of the guys in the band. And I got some other assorted ones, as well. Took them before the show and gave them to the guys. I've still got photos of them around here somewhere, as well as one of bassist Casey Orr devouring a maple bacon doughnut.

Good times.

Then I moved here to Colorado, and damned if Voodoo Doughnut didn't follow right along. But ya know, we've got the legal weed so it's probably a sound business decision. I put in another order, some years back, for GWAR doughnuts. It was royally difficult to explain to them what I wanted, and they didn't get my order right when they did it. I was then wondering...hm...legal weed, asset or liability to your doughnut business, if the employees are too stoned to do their jobs? But that is unkind, truly they are just perhaps not quite as gifted in doughnut art as the Portland Voodoo people. Who knows?

OP you're right though. They appeal more to the eyes than the taste buds. I can cut like 1/4 of one of these things and have it with (unsweetened) coffee to mitigate the sugar overload and that's about as far as it goes for me. But I do like doughnut frosting as long as the doughnut itself is not excessively sweet. Like I don't even like Krispy Kreme doughnuts. But a grocery store doughnut with frosting and sprinkles I can eat, usually (with coffee)...but of course the best of all are freshly made, still piping hot, cake doughnuts with a hint of nutmeg to them and covered in cinnamon sugar. I mean really almost any warm, freshly fried bread dough thing with cinnamon sugar is going to be a win in my book.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Voodoo Doughnut will do custom orders for you, if you want. I ordered a bunch of special doughnuts from Voodoo II in Portland for the band, GWAR, and the band dresses in like monster costumes, and the people at Voodoo Doughnut made doughnuts actually shaped and decorated to look like each of the guys in the band. And I got some other assorted ones, as well. Took them before the show and gave them to the guys. I've still got photos of them around here somewhere, as well as one of bassist Casey Orr devouring a maple bacon doughnut.

Good times.

Then I moved here to Colorado, and damned if Voodoo Doughnut didn't follow right along. But ya know, we've got the legal weed so it's probably a sound business decision. I put in another order, some years back, for GWAR doughnuts. It was royally difficult to explain to them what I wanted, and they didn't get my order right when they did it. I was then wondering...hm...legal weed, asset or liability to your doughnut business, if the employees are too stoned to do their jobs? But that is unkind, truly they are just perhaps not quite as gifted in doughnut art as the Portland Voodoo people. Who knows?

OP you're right though. They appeal more to the eyes than the taste buds. I can cut like 1/4 of one of these things and have it with (unsweetened) coffee to mitigate the sugar overload and that's about as far as it goes for me. But I do like doughnut frosting as long as the doughnut itself is not excessively sweet. Like I don't even like Krispy Kreme doughnuts. But a grocery store doughnut with frosting and sprinkles I can eat, usually (with coffee)...but of course the best of all are freshly made, still piping hot, cake doughnuts with a hint of nutmeg to them and covered in cinnamon sugar. I mean really almost any warm, freshly fried bread dough thing with cinnamon sugar is going to be a win in my book.
Yes; even though the cinnamon sugar twists (crullers) are, obviously, coated in sugar, they're not as cloyingly, sickeningly sweet as these concoctions coated in glaze, frosting, and candy. To me, the cruller is a work of art in itself; no need for "sculpture" (re: some doughnuts designed to appeal to kids) on top. It's as if the taste is now of secondary importance to the appearance, and I don't find all that goo attractive.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:59 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I never ever could understand why people would start a day with high sugary desserts. .........

I wouldn't go out and buy one, but if someone hands me a cinnamon roll or a well made bear claw in the morning, I'll eat it.

Except hardly anyone makes a good bear claw anymore and I don't like artificial cinnamon which seems to be what comes in bakery cinnamon rolls.

Still, if a good one comes my way, I'm not going to turn it down.

Maybe the glopped up donuts are a novelty to get customers to come into the store? Its hard to imagine anyone going in and buying 2 dozen of those things to take to the office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink