Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 07:19 PM

41,725 posts, read 74,665,297 times

Advertisements

Check this out: two Cincinnati treats (Busken Bakery, Graeter's ice cream) in one.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ent...ut/1754311001/

Old 08-16-2019, 07:58 PM

19,447 posts, read 8,997,875 times
This is a kind of anti-doughnut and anti-Walmart rant. About a dozen years ago, I worked at a Walmart for a second job, and every Friday, they would have doughnuts for the workers in the break room. Walmart workers have a well-deserved reputation for being mostly being poor, which means they probably don't eat well at all (because healthy food is almost always more expensive that sugary and/or heavily processed food), so why couldn't they have had something healthy like bagels and fruit instead? There would also be the added benefit of making them more alert during their shift.

Yes, bagels and fruit are more expensive than doughnuts, but it isn't like Walmart couldn't afford it!

Old 08-16-2019, 10:33 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,714,499 times
LOL Those donut varieties were around long before "cellphone cameras."

Old 08-17-2019, 09:12 AM

12,592 posts, read 8,820,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
This is a kind of anti-doughnut and anti-Walmart rant. About a dozen years ago, I worked at a Walmart for a second job, and every Friday, they would have doughnuts for the workers in the break room. Walmart workers have a well-deserved reputation for being mostly being poor, which means they probably don't eat well at all (because healthy food is almost always more expensive that sugary and/or heavily processed food), so why couldn't they have had something healthy like bagels and fruit instead? There would also be the added benefit of making them more alert during their shift.

Yes, bagels and fruit are more expensive than doughnuts, but it isn't like Walmart couldn't afford it!
Probably because, unless well made, most bagels are a large, tasteless, dried out, dough wad. By the time you add the cream cheese and whatever to make it edible, it's more fat and calories than the donut. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have a good bagel than a donut, but it's been 20 years since I've had a good one.

Seriously though, most people, given a choice between the typical Walmart bagel and Walmart donut, would pick the donut.

Old 08-17-2019, 09:20 AM

12,592 posts, read 8,820,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
That's horrifying. I sort of don't blame kids for taking the doughnut- I like fruit but it's not very filling. Kids whose parents didn't feed them breakfast at home, especially, are going to choose what fills the empty spot in their tummies. Even one of those silly packaged crustless PB&J sandwiches could be a better choice.

Agree. Given a choice of good fruit and vegetables, kids will devour them over candy. When our daughter had her sweet 16, she insisted the menu be mostly fruit and vegetable trays, and charcuterie with only a few sweets. That group of teen age girls cleaned up all the fruit, vegetables, meat, and cheese while we wound up with a half a cake and almost all the sweets, chips, and such left over. Complete opposite of what we thought the kids would eat.

Even my kids who were fruit and veg fanatics would throw away the school offerings as unpalatable.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:51 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,917,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
I was sitting at an airport waiting for my flight. Two middle age women were sitting across from me and they were talking about their kids. One mentioned that her son, a fifth grader was putting on weight and she couldn’t understand because she made his lunch everyday and didn’t give him candy or snacks. She asked her son about eating at school and found out the school has a state-mandated program that provides free “breakfast” for needy kids.

Every morning in the first period class a lady rolls a cart through the aisles and the kids get to choose a breakfast item which is either a piece of fruit or ... a big donut! There are no restrictions, and of course the kids all get the damned donut. After her son admitted to eating a donut every morning the mother said she complained to the school. They told her that her son could choose the fruit instead, and it was on her to rein in his donut eating.

Lol — big sugary donuts — it’s for the children!
One of the schools I used to work at had different breakfast items each day of the week. You always knew it was donut day when almost every student would be getting breakfast. If it was a fruit or sausage English muffin day, only the kids who really needed that breakfast were in line.

I prefer how the school I'm at now does it. They don't have donuts or sweet treats for breakfast. Instead they have treat Tuesday, and for a lunch dessert the kids can buy a donut or whatever sweet treat they have that week. It's better for the kids to think of the donut as good for an occasional dessert, and not the first meal of the day.

Old 08-18-2019, 11:10 AM

19,447 posts, read 8,997,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Probably because, unless well made, most bagels are a large, tasteless, dried out, dough wad. By the time you add the cream cheese and whatever to make it edible, it's more fat and calories than the donut. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have a good bagel than a donut, but it's been 20 years since I've had a good one.

Seriously though, most people, given a choice between the typical Walmart bagel and Walmart donut, would pick the donut.
Well, I have had some very good bagels, but even comparing the generic type to a doughnut, the bagel is a clear winner, nutritionally speaking. 11 grams of protein and 21% daily requirement of iron in a bagel and much less sugar than is found in a doughnut.

https://www.nutritionix.com/food/plain-bagel

https://www.nutritionix.com/food/glazed-donut

Old 08-18-2019, 05:30 PM

17,123 posts, read 8,780,029 times
I want that donut burger that elnina posted!

Old 08-18-2019, 09:59 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,026,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
At any "formal high tea," I notice that the sweets far outweigh the savories, when it should be the other way around (it originally served as a meal).
The term "formal high tea" is actually a misnomer in the first place. Afternoon tea is the more formal occasion, the ladies of luxury sitting comfortably in the sitting room having tea and some delicacies.

High tea is the one that was a meal, but that was for the working class, and what they would call their evening meal.

https://afternoontea.co.uk/informati...t-is-high-tea/

Old 08-19-2019, 07:13 AM

26,886 posts, read 13,109,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Check this out: two Cincinnati treats (Busken Bakery, Graeter's ice cream) in one.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ent...ut/1754311001/

Menu -Doughnut Time - London

I wonder how the Morrissey got it's name.

Hall of Fame - Doughnut Time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink