Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 07:58 AM

19,361 posts, read 27,576,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Things "Seen on TV" are usually mediocre quality.
For every day quick non-stick frying I use a ceramic pan.
For cooking/searing - glazed iron pan or shallow Le Creuset skillet.
Are any of those lightweight? DH wants lightweight die to the arthritis in his hands.

We have a set of All Clad, so I've got the high quality pans covered and use them daily. I've got two sizes of cast iron as well. I barely give a rip about eating the 'nasty bits' that non-stick MAY leach into my food. I'm not concerned with what professional chefs use except when it makes my food taste better (read: I use lots of kosher salt and occasionally MSG). Replacing a cheap $15 non stick frying pan every few years is what I've done for over 40 years. We just like nonstick for certain cooking jobs.

I'm retrospect, perhaps my initial query should have been:

If you use non-stop pans, have you any experience with those as seen on tv type copper/red pans?

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 08-19-2019 at 08:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 08:01 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,501,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
That's not really true. They use them a lot less than most casual home cooks, but chefs in professional kitchens do use nonstick pans.
You'll never see Chef Ramsay cook in his home with non-stick and you don't see high end cookware come with non-stick coatings. I don't think non-stick is the way to cook if you spend a lot of time in the kitchen. People get lazy and don't learn the proper cooking techniques.

Plus, in 5 years you'll waste lots of pans and eating all that non-stick coating. Invest in good stainless steel cookware that can last you 10-20 yrs atleast. If you're cheap go for cast-iron.

Last edited by vision33r; 08-19-2019 at 08:13 AM..

Old 08-19-2019, 08:13 AM

19,361 posts, read 27,576,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
OK, have to ask: do you like your Mr Pillow? I have been tempted.
In regard to my pillow:

As an ex-business owner, DH admires Mike Lindell. So he kept bugging me to get a My Pillow. The fact that I had to pay the return shipping if we didn't like them gave me a great excuse for blowing off DH.

Then they showed up in Costco. With their super generous return policy, I lost my excuse, so I bought the package of two.

Predictably, DH LOVED his and badgered me to try the other one. I just wanted to shut him up, so I tried the darn thing. I found it less comfortable than my preference for a hard pillow. I found that I had to plump it up several times during the night. I found that my chronically achy neck wasn't there in the morning. After 3 nights.

1.5 + years later, I still don't find it as comfortable as a stiffer pillow. But my neck doesn't hurt any more except when we travel and I'm back to regular pillows. And I DO like that it's really very washable - like new when you take it out of the dryer.

And DH still gloats "See? I was right!"

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 08-19-2019 at 08:31 AM..

Old 08-19-2019, 10:57 AM

42,719 posts, read 25,889,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You'll never see Chef Ramsay cook in his home with non-stick and you don't see high end cookware come with non-stick coatings. I don't think non-stick is the way to cook if you spend a lot of time in the kitchen. People get lazy and don't learn the proper cooking techniques.

Plus, in 5 years you'll waste lots of pans and eating all that non-stick coating. Invest in good stainless steel cookware that can last you 10-20 yrs atleast. If you're cheap go for cast-iron.
I don't know what Gordon Ramsay cooks with but I wouldn't trust his opinion anyway because he's in the business of selling pots and pans and believe it or not sells a 10 piece set of non-stick pans on QVC.

I'm a pretty good home cook and was tutored for years by my French grandparents. I primarily use cast iron or good stainless steel, but I do have a non-stick pan that I use for potstickers and occasionally for eggs. I buy a cheap 12" non-stick pan every 2 years or so because IMO that's how long even the expensive ones last.

Old 08-19-2019, 11:31 AM

132 posts, read 106,075 times
Since you are a Costco member, see if you can find Gotham Steel Pro (copper color) there. Gotham Steel is all over, but the Pro series is heavier and of better quality. My hubby picked up a two pan set at Costco and I absolutely love them! They clean up like a dream. I’m very hard on pots and pans, so these are perfect for me. If I see the entire set at Costco, I will most likely buy it. I’m so happy with this product & have thanked hubby repeatedly for purchasing it. Non-stick works great!

Old 08-19-2019, 11:45 AM

49,979 posts, read 63,301,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
DH watches too much TV and wants one. He WAS right about the My Pillow, so maybe he's on target for this, too.

It's also about time to replace my Teflon pans - they are starting to get scratched and are probably made of the material thats supposed to bad for you. I'm open to recommendations that aren't crazy expensive.
I too, love the My Pillows. I was fine, but hubby could not find a good pillow for his neck issues until we got it. We happened to get the special where they threw in 2 travel pillows, and they are the greatest after my knee replacement.

Anyway, about the Copper Chef pan. I hate mine, and wouldn’t buy another one. They are not really nonstick unless you prepare them like a regular pan or a cast iron pan, that is oil and heat it up first. The surface is very fragile and you have to use non metal utensils. It’s just not as good as T-fal. If I were going to try another infomercial pan, I’d try the Granite something, it says it can take metal utensils without scratching.

Really, like someone else said, I like to buy a half decent, but cheap T-fal every few years, and pitch it for a fresh one. I’m talking like $39. for a large covered skillet.

Last edited by gentlearts; 08-19-2019 at 11:57 AM..

Old 08-19-2019, 11:59 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,488,348 times
Quote:
Think so? Here is Chef Ramsay scolding someone for not using a nonstick pan with scallops:

https://youtu.be/n1-AWYQXU1A?t=65

Here is Chef Ramsay recommending cookware, he says a good nonstick frypan with a heavy bottom

https://youtu.be/-av6cz9upO0?t=132

It's not just him go look at answers on Quora by professional chefs, an awful lot of them say the same thing they do have a few nonstick pans at their restaurant around for certain tasks.

Quote:
It's not an all-or-nothing. I do 95% of my cooking with stainless steel, but have a couple nonstick pans because sometimes (like eggs) that's the best option. Yes, I can and have cooked eggs in stainless steel pans, it's just a job where nonstick is better suited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hBarzzLX9Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm a pretty good home cook and was tutored for years by my French grandparents. I primarily use cast iron or good stainless steel, but I do have a non-stick pan that I use for potstickers and occasionally for eggs. I buy a cheap 12" non-stick pan every 2 years or so because IMO that's how long even the expensive ones last.
Exactly this.

Just order an Amazon Basics nonstick pan every couple years, stay away from metal utensils, and you're good.

Last edited by lieqiang; 08-19-2019 at 12:11 PM..

Old 08-19-2019, 12:00 PM

4,168 posts, read 3,360,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
DH watches too much TV and wants one. He WAS right about the My Pillow, so maybe he's on target for this, too.

It's also about time to replace my Teflon pans - they are starting to get scratched and are probably made of the material thats supposed to bad for you. I'm open to recommendations that aren't crazy expensive.
Yes, I have the infomercial ones. Three of them. All off Amazon.

The larger two (one square, one round) are excellent, if requiring a learning curve.

The small round pan is worthless. It is actually anti-nonstick, as though created on Bizarro World by Superman's weird nemesis.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:09 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,488,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
No. And again no.
Sure they do. It's sometimes right in front of my face at a restaurant's omelette station, but if you look at pictures and videos of restaurant kitchen operations you often see a mix, it's not all stainless steel. Some of these pictures are from Michelin Star restaurants.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:44 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,128,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Things "Seen on TV" are usually mediocre quality.
For every day quick non-stick frying I use a ceramic pan.
For cooking/searing - glazed iron pan or shallow Le Creuset skillet.
Totally agree. My new air fryer, that was given to me was the one you see so often on TV. I sometimes except for the size wish I had my old one. The new one doesn't work nearly as well I don't think. OH well, as the saying goes: don't look a gift horse in the mouth or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink