Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 07:27 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times

Advertisements

I moved into a house with an electric oven - and not just a normal one that I could get my head around. No, this one is regular or convection and that ceramic cooktop nonsense. I HATE this stove/oven with all my heart. No matter, it's here and I haven't gotten an estimate on converting to gas yet, so I have to use it.

My question is about baking. My H makes bread, or used to, and I love fruit loaves. So my problem is that in this oven I find the outsides bake browner than I like. I tried lowering the temp by 5 degrees and adding a few minutes, but it's not the solution. I thought some of you might know, or have done more switching back and forth than I have and just have more experience going from the one to the other.

I haven't tried the convection at all, but that might be what I need, if I only had a clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 07:37 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
My experience is with an older convection oven, circa 1999. I used convection in preference to the regular baking cycle all the time. I liked the even browning of foods. If you did not get an owners’ manual with the oven, try googling your make and model number to see if you can find a manual online.

My new oven is more complex than my old convection oven, which I left in my home when I moved in 2012. I will be learning the ropes for awhile, for sure.

Standard procedure when baking with convection is to reduce the recipe’s temperature by 25 deg. So if a recipe calls for 350, you would reduce to 325 deg. But some ovens do this automatically.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:57 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times
Actually, general consensus is that electric is actually superior to gas when it comes to baking bread and cakes due to the more even, drier heat. Gas, on the other hand, is preferred for roasting meats.

Old 08-31-2019, 08:07 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
I bake with electric convection all the time. My oven drops the cook temp by 25 degrees as Pink Jazz notes above.

The convection feature works nicely for baking evenly, rather than having hotspots in the oven. I still use my airbake cookie sheets when baking cookies, but they aren’t necessary when using convection.

I haven’t noticed the exterior of my bread baking unusually brown or dark, and I do bake bread every 2 weeks or so, although it has been many years since I used a gas oven.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
My experience is with an older convection oven, circa 1999. I used convection in preference to the regular baking cycle all the time. I liked the even browning of foods. If you did not get an owners’ manual with the oven, try googling your make and model number to see if you can find a manual online.

My new oven is more complex than my old convection oven, which I left in my home when I moved in 2012. I will be learning the ropes for awhile, for sure.

Standard procedure when baking with convection is to reduce the recipe’s temperature by 25 deg. So if a recipe calls for 350, you would reduce to 325 deg. But some ovens do this automatically.
I’ve now done some baking in my new convection oven. I baked very nice banana bread. I followed the time the recipe called for, but oven dropped temp 25 deg. Results were very good. I also baked a batch of extremely good cookies. They were probably the best I’ve ever baked. I used airbake sheets and parchment. No burned edges or bottoms. I used the Crisp Convection cycle. I was very impressed with the cookies.

I baked brownies and they were fine, but not outstanding.

I’ve done some other things too. But the OP was asking about baked goods, I think.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:06 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Put a thermometer and calibrate the thermostat. Of course, you don't know what was the calibration of the t-stat in your old oven.

If 350 on this one is actually 365, and it was actually 335 on the old one, that would explain the issue right there. These things aren't built to be high precision. All the components are sourced to a cost target, and I can guarantee there is no calibration in the factory.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:10 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
My oven is standard AND convection....I simply don't use the convection setting.....but it's there if I want it.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:21 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
My oven is standard AND convection....I simply don't use the convection setting.....but it's there if I want it.
I never used mine, either. I didn't want to figure it out.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I never used mine, either. I didn't want to figure it out.
There is not much to figure out.

Drop temp 25 deg, put pan on middle rack, use low sided pan for best results.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:37 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,509 times
We're looking into an induction oven. Hubby and I hate our current oven with a burning passion. However we don't have the money yet to buy an induction oven, so we will continue to put up with the beast we have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink