Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 09:39 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times

Advertisements

No never. I disliked most cooked food when I was a kid but would eat raw vegetables. And raw potatoes with onion salt. And I STILL eat slightly thawed frozen corn as a snack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 10:43 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,184,412 times
Yep I went a long time without eating veggies. Then my hubby came along all gung ho about me needing to eat veggies and things changed. I hated Lima beans and peas and green beans, but the way my hubby cooks them seasoned and in butter, I now enjoy them, except for the peas, still hate those.

Anyway I didn't get sick when I didn't eat my veggies, but as a grown adult I feel that eating all these veggies is heathier for me. I also have kids now and so I have to leas by example. 🙄

Old 09-06-2019, 02:24 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
veggies were the devilish spirits of foods when I grew up......peas still haunt me....little round spheres of pure evil..(ive had nightmares of giant peas ...as bowling balls from the green giant coming after me.. as a kid)

because my parents tried to "force" me to eat veggies head games/test of wills etc.....when I became an adult...I don't believe I ate any for well over a decade..... I do like fruits...

. but when I read the old eskimos never ate veggies and didn't have heart disease or cancer.....and sustained for thousands of years on fats and meats.....I was encouraged.

Im much longer in the tooth and have come around to eating some green veggies some spinach and broccoli (spinach leaves with shredded cheese in a bowl - microwave for a minute) its not bad.....and broccoli... with melted butter or bacon isn't too bad..

and I have always liked corn on the cob....

the real food demons are sugars...not fats...not meats......so I try to avoid...carbs sugars n starches....

I never once pushed or forced my son to eat any veggie...… and because he wasn't pressured.... he tried many out of curiosity and eats much more than I ever did …

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 09-06-2019 at 02:37 AM..

Old 09-06-2019, 05:11 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,080,461 times
I've pretty much eaten veges all my life and the only ones I won't eat today are kale and lima beans. I do like baby peas (not from a can), but don't think I would eat mushy peas, just looking at them is off putting.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:14 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,067,125 times
I have always loved veg & fruits. But at certain times of my youth, I basically lived off cheese & crackers. I survived.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:47 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,014,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
No never. I disliked most cooked food when I was a kid but would eat raw vegetables. And raw potatoes with onion salt. And I STILL eat slightly thawed frozen corn as a snack.

I do too! Also frozen peas, slightly thawed.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:04 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,786,210 times
I've loved spinach ever since I was a kid. It was my favorite veggie and I'd eat it all the time. My teen years was full of junk food, and getting my mom to cook anything nutritious once TV dinners and pot pies became available was impossible. There was always fruit.

I worry about our neighbors 8 year old. She only eats cheese, pasta, bananas, watermelon, noodles, cheese pizza, and apples from McDonalds. No veggies. and limited fruit. She's low energy and over weight. She just won't try anything out of her narrow parameters.

I eat veggies every day now and I love kale fresh out of the garden.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:50 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
I eat quite a few different kinds of vegetables. I like some of them. I tolerate some. Some, I REFUSE to eat (Eggplant, Brussel sprouts, parsnips and hot peppers to name a few) I eat them because they are good for me, not for the taste.

When diets call for steamed veggies and nothing on them... BLECH! I need cheese or butter, or at the very least, lots of Seasoned salt and garlic powder.

Honestly, if I could eat just meat, chicken, seafood along with cheese, butter, pasta, rice or potatoes, I think I'd be very happy, but fat LOL

Old 09-06-2019, 08:55 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I know of a child with food texture issues. It happens.
This must be something relatively new, the texture issue. I keep reading it on CD but I've never come across it in real life. I think they need mental health help or maybe even medical help in some cases if the EAT EVERYTHING ON YOUR PLATE--OR ELSE! warning from the parents doesn't work.

Yes, there must be more to this story. What parent would allow that?

Old 09-06-2019, 10:43 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
People don't tell their kids to eat everything on their plates anymore. Even I did not try to enforce that with my kids.

As to sensory issues regarding food, yes the family might seek guidance from a pro.

In the past, I have known of kids refusing to eat any but certain few foods, but I tended to think they were doing a power play in the family, especially if the family was otherwise controlling. And a picky parent might also influence this behavior.

But I really don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink