Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 06:17 PM

668 posts, read 471,060 times

Advertisements

My sister, who is just around 60, has not eaten a vegetable since probably about 17 or so. She hated them, all of them. She's doing just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 08:03 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marehoodlum View Post
My sister, who is just around 60, has not eaten a vegetable since probably about 17 or so. She hated them, all of them. She's doing just fine.
Does she eat fruit?

Old 09-06-2019, 10:06 PM

23,538 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Never, I love fresh veggies and fruits.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:33 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
https://nypost.com/2019/09/03/teen-g...r-years-study/

Apparently this teen had trouble with food textures, and he only ate french fries, white bread, and some processed meat. He was not fat. He complained of fatigue at some point, and was given shots of vitamins. He began to have vision and hearing problems. These problems are thought to be caused by a very poor diet.

I have heard of some children who are highly averse to eating foods with textures that bother them. I suppose in this country with many choices, kids have the luxury of hating some group of foods or other. I remember being put off by canned pineapple!
This happened in Bristol in the UK, and not in the US.

You would have thought that his parents would have done more, and the local family doctor (GP) prescribed vitamin supplements but he stopped taking them.

There is professional help which his parents could have sought in relation to eating disorders and dietary problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC News

The adolescent, who cannot be named, had seen his GP at the age of 14 because he had been feeling tired and unwell. At that time he was diagnosed with vitamin B12 deficiency and put on supplements, but he did not stick with the treatment or improve his poor diet.

Teenager 'blind' from living off crisps and chips - BBC News

Teen left blind and deaf after living off crisps, chips and white bread - Sky News

Old 09-07-2019, 05:49 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Honestly, if I could eat just meat, chicken, seafood along with cheese, butter, pasta, rice or potatoes, I think I'd be very happy, but fat LOL
The only thing above that would make you fat would be the pasta, rice and potatoes. Meat, poultry, fish, eggs, cheese and butter will not make you fat. These are the very foods that will help you lose weight, if that's all you eat. Your nutrition would be better, too.

Vegetables are mostly water and crunch. Salads are nothing but water and crunch. Fruit is high in fructose and will enlarge you like Paddy's pig. Just because a First Lady advises 5 to 7 servings a day of this stuff, doesn't mean you should do it. Where did she get her nutrition degree??

Animal foods are more nutrient dense. They do not cause heart disease or cancer. The UN is trying to get people to stop eating meat and go all plant-based, in the name of "planetary health". They don't care about OUR health, or else they are ignorant. Clean, organic meat is near impossible to buy. That's why I raise my own. It's more important than the veggie garden!

Old 09-07-2019, 10:58 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
My aunt won't eat vegetables, something I found out at a family funeral in my 30s and I felt so relieved that I could tell myself it was genetic. I was also forced to eat veg as a young child and it didn't work out well. I liked many raw and still do, and I love pretty much any fruit and make sure to eat one or the other daily, so I'm still here.

Like everyone else here who falls outside "normal" parameters, I feel defensive about it. I remember watching something on the national geographic channel about Tibet, where they eat primarily *** and (***) buttered tea and I thought well, there's a whole lot of old people there.

Old 09-07-2019, 11:29 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,406,327 times
No.

Old 09-07-2019, 11:44 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
As I am crunching down a large bowl of coleslaw for breakfast, with a side of steamed corn....

Do I ever go without veggies for along period of time? Not if I can help it.

Old 09-07-2019, 12:40 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
My aunt won't eat vegetables, something I found out at a family funeral in my 30s and I felt so relieved that I could tell myself it was genetic. I was also forced to eat veg as a young child and it didn't work out well. I liked many raw and still do, and I love pretty much any fruit and make sure to eat one or the other daily, so I'm still here.

Like everyone else here who falls outside "normal" parameters, I feel defensive about it. I remember watching something on the national geographic channel about Tibet, where they eat primarily *** and (***) buttered tea and I thought well, there's a whole lot of old people there.
What foods are you *** referring to?

Maybe these Tibetans, like the old Eskimos, ate a lot of RAW meats, including organs. I read studies about this traditional diet, and they can get lots of vitamins via RAW meats, that we don't get when cooked. They did just fine with NO veg or fruit. (except a few berries once in awhile)

Yuck, but makes sense with no cooking material (wood, etc.).

Old 09-07-2019, 01:00 PM

6,801 posts, read 4,243,396 times
I knew a chap in England who had a pretty awful diet and rarely left the house. He got gallstones and jaundice in his mid 20s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink