Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 07:50 PM

91 posts, read 59,081 times

Advertisements

Amy's Frozen Meals! The vegetable non-dairy lasagne is my favorite but there are lots of other yummy choices
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 07:56 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,318,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Marie Calender's has awesome pot pies. They're heavy in fat, but they are good. Not bad for an occasional meal.
I have stocked up their chicken pot pies for October, when I shall be resting and on Tylenol.

Old 09-28-2019, 05:21 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,410,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
I spend way too many nights in motels so occasionally I'll grab something frozen to zap back in the room if I don't feel like eating out.

I really like the Devour brand of meals. Every variety I tried was very good. Have any of you tried these?
https://www.brandeating.com/2016/08/...meal-line.html
Agree! I love that mac and cheese with bacon. Delicious...for a microwave dinner.

Old 09-30-2019, 06:08 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
To save on time and prep, going to start taking short cuts. One is buying frozen prepared meals. We are picky and want it to taste as homemade and fresh as possible, but are totally new to this. We do eat Arizona frozen burritos, El Monterey, taquitos; you can't go wrong when you doctor it with hot sauce and sour cream, but looking for some good home-made savory tasting frozen meals/TV dinners.

Thinking about the frozen chicken kiev my great grandma had in the 80s, (can't remember the brand) that were really good, with the butter and herbs and crispy skin.

Any recommendations on some other frozen meals/brands?
Barber's makes a decent Chicken Kiev. But you should check and see any comparison tests done by food magazines or Consumer Reports.

Old 11-15-2019, 08:39 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
anyone know of a brand that makes frozen skillet meals that are very heavy on meat and vegetables and light on carbs like pasta or rice? i dont mind carbs but i like my meals to be primarily meat and vegetables. i like skillet meals since they are easy and usually yummy but they tend to be heavier on carbs than i would like.

Old 11-15-2019, 08:52 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
I try to cook in batches and freeze individual portions of leftovers so I always have my own homemade frozen meal. But I'm not perfect, so I also am a big fan of Trader Joe's frozen meals. Their Indian offerings are good and many don't come with rice to keep it lower carb.

I also always have their black garlic and truffle flatbread and their cauliflower crust pizzas in my freezer for really bad evenings.

Old 11-16-2019, 09:32 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
The best commercial pot pies are Blake’s. Chicken and veggies, plain chicken, beef and veggies, shepherd’s pie, and a bunch more. Available in at least some ordinary supermarkets.

I like Shelton’s chicken pot pie best of all, but they are no longer sold. They used butter in the crust and the whole wheat crust was every bit as tasty and delicate as the regular crust. R.I.P.

Amy’s frozen pizzas also are great: not too greasy or salty or overcheesed, with a pizza crust that tastes proper—not just like round white bread.

We don’t have Trader Joe’s anywhere nearby, but their soup dumplings blew me away. (We were in southern CA when we found them.) You folks with access to all the fantastic Chinese food in/around LA and SD are lucky!

Old 11-16-2019, 09:40 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
anyone know of a brand that makes frozen skillet meals that are very heavy on meat and vegetables and light on carbs like pasta or rice? i dont mind carbs but i like my meals to be primarily meat and vegetables. i like skillet meals since they are easy and usually yummy but they tend to be heavier on carbs than i would like.
Bertolli’s bags of skillet meals taste good. You could add some real bacon bits and chopped fresh veggies to the pan for a better ratio of meat and veg to carbs. Most supermarkets sell shredded roast chicken meat, stripped from their whole rotisserie chickens, in the deli section. I have added this to green chile stew or other foods for a more protein-filled easy meal.

Old 11-16-2019, 03:19 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
anyone know of a brand that makes frozen skillet meals that are very heavy on meat and vegetables and light on carbs like pasta or rice?.......

That's going to be hard to come by.

I suggest simply go with the big bags of frozen veggies that can be zapped in the microwave (as large a serving as you want) and adding a piece or two of store bought roasted chicken to heat up with it.

I put a burger patty in a skillet to serve with the microwaved veggies, but that gets a pan dirty. A brat or polish dog can just be placed on the veggies and zapped at the same time.

There is not lot of pre-cooked meat that can just be heated up in a generous serving unless you want to spend a lot of money. The store bought rotisserie chickens are your best bet.

I see heat and eat meat portions at the restaurant supply store, but I've never tried any of them and very often, they are breaded and fried which is not low carb. They sell seasoned, portioned, frozen steaks but I don't suggest cooking a steak in the microwave.

The seasoned, portioned, frozen fish could probably be microwaved if you were careful to not over-cook. Maybe get the veggies half done before adding the fish to the plate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink