Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like the Impossible Burger or Beyond Meat?
I prefer the Impossible 8 16.67%
I prefer Beyond Meat 7 14.58%
I don't like either 28 58.33%
They are both just as good 5 10.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 11:10 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,608,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post

yes. there's nothing wrong with that. Maybe all animals should evolve to be cute.

Humans must all be killed, then!

Jaguars are cuter than humans. Prepare to sacrifice yourself to the great goddess of great cats!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 01:40 PM

6,282 posts, read 2,829,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post

Humans must all be killed, then!

Jaguars are cuter than humans. Prepare to sacrifice yourself to the great goddess of great cats!!!
I doubt I could kill a cat even if it was attacking me. Cats are the best. But to be truthful they are not so cute when they're angry.

Old 12-14-2019, 08:14 AM

12,625 posts, read 8,850,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's not just the calories, it contains 9g of carb without the buns. So In sums, it's not healthier than meat. But the problem I have is that BK whopper wasn't that great to begin with, why would people want a whopper when they can have better burgers at other places? At best the impossible/beyond tasted like drier over-cooked burger. I like my burger moist, a bit of grease, and have a chewy bite. These burgers don't have the texture I look for. The patty breaks apart fast as it is very brittle.
You're correct, the Whopper isn't that great, but people want one because in many places there aren't practical alternatives. We have BK, Wendy's, McDonalds and Chick Filet. It's sad when one of the best burgers in town is at a school cafeteria.

Now, switching to a comparison between the Whopper and Impossible. My wife and I tried it. With all the condiments and toppings, they taste about the same. Not that the Whopper was a high standard to start with but people are correct when they say it tastes just like the Whopper. However, pull the patty out and eat it without the toppings and it's a different story. It had an "artificial" taste for lack of a better word. Kind of in the same way if you taste sugar and saccharin side by side, the taste isn't the same. But for me it wasn't just the taste but the texture was very off-putting. Mealy in the mouth. I wouldn't not eat one, but I also wouldn't specifically order one either.

Old 12-14-2019, 09:54 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,529,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
You're correct, the Whopper isn't that great, but people want one because in many places there aren't practical alternatives. We have BK, Wendy's, McDonalds and Chick Filet. It's sad when one of the best burgers in town is at a school cafeteria.

Now, switching to a comparison between the Whopper and Impossible. My wife and I tried it. With all the condiments and toppings, they taste about the same. Not that the Whopper was a high standard to start with but people are correct when they say it tastes just like the Whopper. However, pull the patty out and eat it without the toppings and it's a different story. It had an "artificial" taste for lack of a better word. Kind of in the same way if you taste sugar and saccharin side by side, the taste isn't the same. But for me it wasn't just the taste but the texture was very off-putting. Mealy in the mouth. I wouldn't not eat one, but I also wouldn't specifically order one either.
Whats weird is that when I was a kid when BK was just a new chain, the whopper tasted close to the In and Out Burger's Double Double. Some time around the late 90s when BK deteriorated in flavor. The meat just doesn't taste fresh or have the true broil taste anymore. I think their use of frozen patties with poor beef quality have ruined the flavor.

Because the Impossible Burger tasted very much like a Beef Whopper. It doesn't hold a candle to Shake Shack.

Old 12-15-2019, 06:19 AM

19,963 posts, read 30,031,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Whats weird is that when I was a kid when BK was just a new chain, the whopper tasted close to the In and Out Burger's Double Double. Some time around the late 90s when BK deteriorated in flavor. The meat just doesn't taste fresh or have the true broil taste anymore. I think their use of frozen patties with poor beef quality have ruined the flavor.

Because the Impossible Burger tasted very much like a Beef Whopper. It doesn't hold a candle to Shake Shack.

yes they went to frozen patties......but they also went leaner....and lean is less fat/flavor

Old 12-15-2019, 07:21 AM

7,922 posts, read 12,620,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Have you tried these? Which do you like best? A&W in Montreal have beyond meat. They sold so much that it sold out. BK now has the Impossible Burger. I think that's better. Beyond is kind of crumbly but impossible meat had good texture. I may never eat cow again.
Just bought a standing rib roast for Christmas dinner; I doubt it would taste as good as either Beyond or impossible.
Quote -
"I don't love that the patties are made with coconut oil," she said. "This is a source of saturated fat, and you'll see that one burger contains 30% of the [recommended] daily value." Because coconut oil contains more saturated fat than butter or lard, many nutritionists recommend using it sparingly. Un-quote

https://www.businessinsider.com/is-b...ccasion-2019-6

The article also has some other unpleasant possible reactions to the plant based burgers.

Personally I am going to continue eating beef. I do not believe eating beef in moderation is harmful to ones health at all.

If the concern is our environment I personally have my beef consumption covered as the neighbor hay's my property to feed his cows. If I eat a pound of beef a week I'm only consuming 52 pounds +/- per year or about 1/8th of a cow. He usually gets 20 round bales twice a year or 40 total off my property which is enough to feed at least 15 cows year round.

As far as water is concerned the majority of it passes through the cow and returns to earth. Cow farts? I have at least 1000+ trees on my land to help compensate for that.

I have no environmental guilt about eating cows.

Old 12-17-2019, 06:14 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,590,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't understand the whole not wanting to eat meat but trying to make something that looks and tastes like meat thing. If you don't want to eat meat, why not just eat things other than meat?
I listened to an interview with the founder of Impossible Meat a while back. He was not out to make something healthier and he clearly stated he was out to make something from plants that meat eaters would eat. The amount of resources required to produce a pound of beef exceeds that for almost all other foods, including other types of meat. He is very concerned about the planet's resources being depleted to the point where bad things start happening. So, again, his goal was to create a food that used less resources than beef that beef eaters would readily eat.

Old 12-19-2019, 01:43 PM

23,885 posts, read 32,184,034 times
Beyond Meat is fantastic!

I like impossible burgers too, but nor as much. Field Roast Burgers are delicious too.

I'm wondering how many of the naysayers have actually tried either? My guess? Very few.

The SAD (Standard American Diet) is GONE. Millennial, younger generations and others tend to be flexitarian, vegetarian, vegan, occasional vegans, or pescatarian.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:18 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,086,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I sell both and its funny....the non gmo ...local ...organic..... crowd is trying these ……. you see the ingredients of these??
Well, they're definitely not healthy, but they're a way to help calm down meat cravings for those avoiding meat.

I'm a meat and potatoes gal by nature, but to make my hardcore militant vegan hubby happy, I eat these instead when tofu or mushrooms aren't enough to assuage cravings. Usually happens every few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink