Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 11:04 AM

550 posts, read 498,511 times

Advertisements

I did Sous Vide Mashed Potatoes over the weekend.

Best mashed potatoes ever!

Lick My Spoon | Sous Vide Mashed Potatoes with Garlic and Rosemary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 11:14 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Thumbs up Good Eats: Immersion Therapy (September 2019)

I was unconvinced of the benefits of sous vide, but with Alton Brown's hearty endorsement in the new Good Eats episode, I am tempted to give it a go.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:44 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
My husband bought a sous vide machine about 6 months ago and now it's the only way we prepare steaks. Season them, vacuum seal the bag, sous vide them for a couple of hours, then finish them in a very hot outdoor oven to get a nice sear.

We made some tenderloins last Sat when my Dad was over and they were better than almost anything we ever get in a restaurant......and we go to some good restaurants.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:47 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
So, what gadgets you guys use? Something like Anova Nano?
What about the bags? Any special brand that is non- toxic?

Last edited by elnina; 09-17-2019 at 01:10 PM..

Old 09-17-2019, 06:27 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
I try not to be too paranoid about carcinogens, but the idea of cooking in plastic bags really makes me cringe. I store leftovers in Pyrex or Corning Ware, I never reheat anything in a plastic dish and I NEVER reheat anything covered in plastic wrap. Don't you end up ingesting little plastic molecules along with your food?

Old 09-17-2019, 07:24 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I try not to be too paranoid about carcinogens, but the idea of cooking in plastic bags really makes me cringe. I store leftovers in Pyrex or Corning Ware, I never reheat anything in a plastic dish and I NEVER reheat anything covered in plastic wrap. Don't you end up ingesting little plastic molecules along with your food?
Not all plastics are created equal. You can get reusable silicone bags for higher temperature sous vide cookery.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:26 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
Sous vide is a troll cooking method. The only reason anyone would boil a steak in a plastic bag and brag about how great it is on the internet is to **** people off.
Perhaps isn't appealing to everyone but definitely is healthy. Especially to some people who want to eliminate frying fats.
Also it's proven that you can cook meats exactly to desired tenderness.
Due to the enhanced flavours of sous vide food, little or no additional salt or fat is needed during cooking. Plus, vacuum sealing food means that vitamins and minerals are not lost during the cooking process unlike boiling, steaming, frying or baking.

Food could be cooked in advance, prepared day before or freezed for later use.

This method is probably great for cooking novices too, because it's perfect every time. One doesn't need to worry about the results.

I wouldn't bash it more than slow cookers, rice cookers, pressure cookers or any other cooking gadget. It's all about results and taste isn't disputable.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:09 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMChicago View Post
I did Sous Vide Mashed Potatoes over the weekend.

Best mashed potatoes ever!

Lick My Spoon | Sous Vide Mashed Potatoes with Garlic and Rosemary
It's just mashed potatoes. It's too easy to just boil them in a pan and mash them.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:48 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
It's just mashed potatoes. It's too easy to just boil them in a pan and mash them.
I don’t Sous vide and I’ve never had these potatoes, but did you click on the recipe? They sound delicious, and not really the same as traditional mash as the potatoes are actually cooked with the butter and milk (no water in the bag) instead of getting the fat bath at the end. I’d be interested in taste testing them if anybody would like to send some over!

Old 09-18-2019, 07:07 AM

5,892 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
But think about why you do the sear, it is to prevent moisture loss and seals the flavor.

I think Alton Brown (or ATK) did a segment on that and determined it is a myth that searing "seals in" flavor, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink