Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 03:29 PM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I find it hard to belive that a simmered steak tastes better than a charcoal grilled one. IMO, it is just another fad gadget.
It's possible, but we wouldn't know till we try it. Everything else is just assumptions.

It could also be an acquired taste.

Here is a good article to read:
https://aboutthechef.com/sous-vide-cooking/

Last edited by elnina; 09-18-2019 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 05:48 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It doesn't seal in flavor, but it triggers a Maillard reaction that literally CREATES flavor.
excellent post tab!!

Last edited by elnina; 09-18-2019 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: Added missing bracket

Old 09-18-2019, 05:50 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
I put a vac sealed inch thick rib eye in the dishwasher.. and it came out good

Old 09-18-2019, 05:56 PM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
For those who do decide to try the sous vide method, here is a very informative infographic:
https://www.modernrestaurantmanageme...18/07/full.jpg

Old 09-19-2019, 07:24 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I put a vac sealed inch thick rib eye in the dishwasher.. and it came out good
It is not a new idea, it is simply a device that can hold temps. If you do it in the dishwasher you may overcook the meat as the temps aren't as adjustable. It's the same as rice cooker vs stove top rice cooking. You can do it both ways but the tool automatically adjust temps as needed without having to manage it.

If you look at other reviews of sous vide you'll find that people who uses it often are folks who don't like to spend time cooking or managing the food. You simply set the sous vide device and drop in the food. Instead of me watching the meat, I just set it for an hour and leave it. Come back the steak is done and sear and eat.

It's not gonna replace restaurant cooking steaks with a broiler because they have larger broiler that can cook large batches and faster than a sous vide can do it.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:56 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I think Alton Brown (or ATK) did a segment on that and determined it is a myth that searing "seals in" flavor, etc.
I remember that epi. But searing is a way to add flavor, I think.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:08 AM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It's possible, but we wouldn't know till we try it. Everything else is just assumptions.

It could also be an acquired taste.

Here is a good article to read:
https://aboutthechef.com/sous-vide-cooking/
I know I am assuming, but unless someone wants to invite me to dinner, it is all I can do. I do not have one, nor am I a candidate to buy one. I like cooking the old fashioned way & we have a small kitchen.

For those that have one, & enjoy it, I say good for them.

Old 09-19-2019, 01:36 PM

2,454 posts, read 3,216,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Boil in a bag meat... nah.
It isn't boiled...

Old 09-19-2019, 02:15 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,083,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It is not a new idea, it is simply a device that can hold temps. If you do it in the dishwasher you may overcook the meat as the temps aren't as adjustable. It's the same as rice cooker vs stove top rice cooking. You can do it both ways but the tool automatically adjust temps as needed without having to manage it.

If you look at other reviews of sous vide you'll find that people who uses it often are folks who don't like to spend time cooking or managing the food. You simply set the sous vide device and drop in the food. Instead of me watching the meat, I just set it for an hour and leave it. Come back the steak is done and sear and eat.

It's not gonna replace restaurant cooking steaks with a broiler because they have larger broiler that can cook large batches and faster than a sous vide can do it.
My BGE can hold temps for hours. I can cook a thick steak at 250F to my desired pre-sear temp, pull, let rest and crank the Egg up to 650F for the sear. Takes 1 minute on each side of a 3" boneless rib-eye for the sear with a turn at 30 seconds on each side. IMO, you can't beat the flavor or texture.

Old 09-19-2019, 03:14 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I agreeā€” sous vide is awesome. The best part is I can pop frozen meat or salmon in without defrosting: cooks perfectly and then I just sear it afterward for a nice crust.
What do you do to prevent the searing from overcooking it, do you account for that in the sous vide temperature or do you just put it in a very hot pan and hope it sears quickly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink