Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 03:20 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,489 times

Advertisements

Dark chocolate and black licorice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 03:20 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
ive heard of this before...… and met a couple ladies who do not like the tongue....

my father liked the pickled tongues and some other innard in the glass jars...but we kids weren't forced to eat it
"Man food!" Remember in the days when ladies didn't hang out in bars and there would be these big gallon jars of the stuff on the bar? It reminded me of the foetus pig we had in the science room at school. Pickled pigs feet, pickled eggs, other inedibles in greasy jars. Don't know how anyone could enjoy a beer looking at that stuff.

But it was a tradition in the Heartland, at least for men, to eat things that grossed ladies out. I suppose some of it grew out of the immigrant peasant culture and the rest from the Depression years and eating everything but the squeal. Most of those blue collar men needed all the protein calories they could get.

My MIL fed seven boys and she could get beef heart free at the butcher shop. There was nearly always one ready to slice for sandwiches in her refrigerator for those late night hunger pangs. A heart is all muscle - no gristle or fat. Just needs to be boiled a very long time.

When my husband finally convinced me to give it a try I was surprised to find it tasted like very lean beef.

My mother loved parsnips boiled, then sliced and fried brown in butter. They are very good that way. But I had an odd body reaction when I fried them. The smell of them would make the nerves in my spine feel stimulated and I would have a sensation similar to that when I look at those very bright flashing lights on top of tall industrial buildings to signal air traffic. Almost electrical in nature. It wasn't a pleasant sensation. Food synesthesia?

Old 09-24-2019, 03:24 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
I'm amazed at how many hate peas. Is it because you only know canned peas? I hate them too, but frozen peas, the little itty bitty ones, are nothing like the mush in a can!

Old 09-24-2019, 03:44 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
to the people who hate peas, have you ever had them fresh from the garden, barely cooked, with a little butter and salt? Or are we talking strictly canned peas, which are pretty vile.

I'm a bit surprised at how many hate parsnips, they are like a sweet carrot to my taste buds.
Parsnips have an unappealing-sounding name, but they are innocuous vegetables, indeed much like mild carrots. I like almost all vegetables anyway (love fresh or frozen peas!), but admit that some have a strong taste that people might not like (e.g. rutabaga). Parsnips aren't one I would pick out as hate-worthy.

Old 09-24-2019, 03:51 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,520,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Are there any foods which you absolutely HATE and would not even consider eating?? I have two: corn dogs and canned peas.

How about you?

Peanut Butter

Old 09-24-2019, 03:57 PM

1,584 posts, read 981,453 times
There really are only two ways to eat okra (which I like, BTW):

-batter fried
-in soups, stews, or gumbo.

Both ways mitigate the natural sliminess of the vegetable. Cooking it any other way (boiling it in a pot of water, for one thing) results in a nasty, slimy veggie that’s very off-putting.

Old 09-24-2019, 04:20 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Pickled pigs feet, pickled eggs, other inedibles in greasy jars. Don't know how anyone could enjoy a beer looking at that stuff.
Lol... Those things are very much edible. Don't make me tell you about meats, eggs or fish in aspic! Yum!!

Quote:
My MIL fed seven boys and she could get beef heart free at the butcher shop. There was nearly always one ready to slice for sandwiches in her refrigerator for those late night hunger pangs. A heart is all muscle - no gristle or fat. Just needs to be boiled a very long time.

When my husband finally convinced me to give it a try I was surprised to find it tasted like very lean beef.
A goulash (stew) made of hearts and lungs is very, very tasty. Trust me. I made it few times.
Last time I bought few hearts at HEB
(they aren't free, lol) a lady behind me made comment that I must love my dogs to cook for them. I said, I don't have dogs - I will make a delicious meal for myself. You should see the horror look on her face! ...lol!!
https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h...-hearts/665046
I often pan-fry chicken hearts for a snack. Add a can of hot Rotel - juicy and tender!

Quote:
My mother loved parsnips boiled, then sliced and fried brown in butter. They are very good that way. But I had an odd body reaction when I fried them. The smell of them would make the nerves in my spine feel stimulated and I would have a sensation similar to that when I look at those very bright flashing lights on top of tall industrial buildings to signal air traffic. Almost electrical in nature. It wasn't a pleasant sensation. Food synesthesia?
I don't know how to explain your reaction. I think it might be just in your head or you have hyperosmia ... Did you doctor knows about it? Checked you for Lyme disease or adrenal insufficiency?
Your symptoms sound very uncomfortable.

Back to parsnip - parsnip solo taste kinda sweet. Not everyone's thing. I will eat it when cooked in a broth, but I really like it mashed with potatoes. It just elevates their taste.
I like my mashed potatoes with other cooked veggies like cauliflower, carrots, parsnip, celery root or kohlrabi.
I add cooked, chopped parsnip to my potato salad.

Last edited by elnina; 09-24-2019 at 04:38 PM..

Old 09-24-2019, 05:04 PM

408 posts, read 259,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBentley View Post
Easy! The stench of Indian food makes me heave; I certainly don't need to actually eat it to know full well that I loathe it intensely.

I can detect it at least a block away where it is conncocted, ugh!
You are 100% correct. Do yourself a favor and never eat it. I have eaten it twice about 30 years apart. Both times I could not eat for 2 days after. I just told Mrs. Deoge this morning that I could never go to India to visit.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:31 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am one of those rare people who really like Anchovies but in very small doses and only once in awhile.
Anchovies are a condiment, like pickles, capers, or mustard. Nobody eats them straight, they are only used to flavor some foods. I like anchovies on pizza, but would never eat one straight.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:41 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Y’all are naming all my favorite foods....okra, parsnips, grits, cream of wheat, and best of all is black licorice...I used to save all the black jelly beans for last. It seems to be mostly a US thing to hate it but I’m American. Go figure.

But the one dish that I would not eat, even if I went hungry for three days previous, is tuna noodle casserole! Gag me. And yes it’s usually made with canned peas, which I also cannot abide. So many people love it but I hate it.
You can ruin almost anything. I still remember the horrible Cream of Wheat they served at summer camp when I was a kid. Now that I'm a grownup, I can make my own, with milk, brown sugar and a little salt.

This is the first time I have ever heard of someone making a casserole with canned peas. Canned peas are not food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink