Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2019, 05:44 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I'm not crazy about squash and given the choice won't eat it. If it's the only thing keeping me from starvation, I'll figure out how to get it down.

I've eaten just about every single thing mentioned on this thread and the only thing I can truly say I loathe is parsnips. Won't eat them. If you find nothing but bones, you'll know there was no squash. lol

I have only one question: What do you people eat?
What kind of squash? Summer? Winter? Acorn? Butternut? Pumpkin?

I just bought two big butternut today. I'll roast them, scoop them into a bowl, add butter, salt, and brown sugar. Family and friends request it for holiday feasts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I cannot eat curry to this day ….
I went to an indian buffet at sandals resort on montego bay on my honeymoon......and got a severe case of the runs after the first meal...
from the curry indian food...…
There are hundreds of different kinds of curry.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:48 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,998 times
Banana bread...just the name...if I smell it, I am done for.
Celery
Celery
Celery

...and yet I enjoy celery seed as a seasoning in dressing...

Old 09-24-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
"Man food!" Remember in the days when ladies didn't hang out in bars and there would be these big gallon jars of the stuff on the bar? It reminded me of the foetus pig we had in the science room at school. Pickled pigs feet, pickled eggs, other inedibles in greasy jars. Don't know how anyone could enjoy a beer looking at that stuff.

But it was a tradition in the Heartland, at least for men, to eat things that grossed ladies out. I suppose some of it grew out of the immigrant peasant culture and the rest from the Depression years and eating everything but the squeal. Most of those blue collar men needed all the protein calories they could get.

My MIL fed seven boys and she could get beef heart free at the butcher shop. There was nearly always one ready to slice for sandwiches in her refrigerator for those late night hunger pangs. A heart is all muscle - no gristle or fat. Just needs to be boiled a very long time.

When my husband finally convinced me to give it a try I was surprised to find it tasted like very lean beef.

My mother loved parsnips boiled, then sliced and fried brown in butter. They are very good that way. But I had an odd body reaction when I fried them. The smell of them would make the nerves in my spine feel stimulated and I would have a sensation similar to that when I look at those very bright flashing lights on top of tall industrial buildings to signal air traffic. Almost electrical in nature. It wasn't a pleasant sensation. Food synesthesia?
Once upon a time, men worked outside in punishing heat without the benefit of air conditioning or even cold water to drink. We went to bars in search of hydration and salt. We salted our beer back then too. Pickled meat tastes great with beer if you are dry enough. It helps to be hungry too, which you probably are after 10 hours of working your butt off. It had nothing to do with "ladies." It was what our bodies needed.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:07 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBentley View Post
Easy! The stench of Indian food makes me heave; I certainly don't need to actually eat it to know full well that I loathe it intensely.

I can detect it at least a block away where it is conncocted, ugh!
That's true. If the smell of something causes you to feel ill, tasting it won't be better.

I used to enjoy Indian food occasionally, but my stomach will no longer participate.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Okra is only edible if it is breaded and fried.
I'll eat it in gumbo. The slime dissipates.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:30 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Canned pork and beans. Canned spinach. Pig's feet. Scandinavian Christmas eve fish, jellied beef broth.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

Sadly, some people have very limited menu because they won't eat anything that sounds or looks "weird" because it's unfamiliar and they aren't adventurous and brave enough to try it. They pick their food using imagination not their tongue.

I dared my coworkers many times when I prepared meals from food they wouldn't touch with 8 ft pole.
I never told them what they ate, but they loved it.

I noticed it here on this forum very often. People would say that they HATE something, but when asked if they actually tried it, they said: NO WAY! I wouldn't ever try it! Disgusting!

I hate only one thing - the taste of liquorice. And I DID try it.
I've tried many things once and sometimes twice that I wouldn't normally eat.

My parents were pretty adventurous eaters, but nothing too, too weird. When I was a teen, my brother used to take me to NYC and Philadelphia to see interesting things and inflict weird food on me. He would say things like, "Don't ask what it is."

Mushy peas and farina are at the top of my list. I'm not crazy about grits, either.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:02 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,626 posts, read 17,961,729 times
I read through this entire thread, and there is not one single food I wouldn't enjoy eating if it's fresh and prepared well. (Before anyone thinks I eat all day and am the size of a sofa, haha, I'm a healthy weight. I'm just not a finicky eater, at all).

I WILL say, raw oysters give me pause because they're ALIVE when you eat them, that's why they're moving around on the half shell. So I feel cruel eating them alive and also I'm a little concerned about food safety. Otherwise, delicious.

And I will also say I'll cut a meal short if something seems "off" and not prepared well. For example, as many have stated, olive colored canned peas are kind of icky. Compared to very very delicious fresh steamed bright green peas.

And I did have a question about eating hooves. Not sure I've ever seen that. How do you eat hooves?

Everything else, Okra, licorice, chicken gizzards, liver, spinach, fish of all kinds, love parsnips, kimchi, and on and on.

Joke: "Okra is so hairy, you don't notice how slimy it is". ;D

I feel so very blessed, that any food that's served in a restaurant, I will be happy to eat.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I agree with many that people have memtioned.
How about Ragu spaghetti sauce-sugar added? What the heck for?
Pretty much all processed foods-perhaps they don’t deserve to be called food.
Hot dogs are one that come immediately to mind.

No one has mentioned durian or chempadek fruits, both having a powerful odor.
I happen to love them both.
Downside to durian is bad breath afterwards.
Anthony Bourdain, who liked durian, described the effect on breath “like you’ve been French kissing your dead grandmother”
I tried to buy durian once, and my husband refused to have it in the car - even the trunk. I told him that I'd cut it out in the yard. That wasn't good enough. He couldn't stand the smell of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink