Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 08:30 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I dont want to buy for fear of wasting money on something I can't use. But i am curious what goat cheese smells and tastes like.
Cheese. It tastes like cheese.

Goat milk cheddar tastes like cheddar. Etc.

What, exactly, is "that goat odor"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 12:29 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
I unknowingly tasted some a couple of years ago when a neighbor served me a goat cheese and fig appetizer on a cracker. I thought it was delicious and asked what it was. I think, when it is mixed with something sort of sweet like the figs, it is a good blend. I don't think I could eat any by itself though, it was just a little too pungent.

Last edited by Praline; 09-24-2019 at 01:16 PM..

Old 09-24-2019, 12:45 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Our locally produced Chêvre, Humboldt Fog, has a lovely smell. I don't know what goats are supposed to smell like. For $8.99 you can buy some. Not a major investment

Old 09-24-2019, 12:46 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Humboldt Fog is the ultimate goat cheese. It's mild but memorable. It is widely available. I eat it alone; even the mildest cracker vitiates the flavor.

https://www.cypressgrovecheese.com/c.../humboldt-fog/

Old 09-24-2019, 12:52 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,775,193 times
I eat goat cheese weekly in a salad with black beans and assorted veggies and a spicy hot dressing. I'm unable to digest cow milk products but can handle goat and sheep milk products without difficulty. I get the little rolls of goat cheese at Winco. They come in several flavors - berry, herb, plain and maybe something else I'm forgetting. I get the plain version, which is very creamy and is sort of like cream cheese consistency. I've never noticed a goaty flavor or smell. I've never smelled goat meat, just live goats which do have their own distinctive aroma, especially the bucks in rutting season. The cheese certainly doesn't have any of that smell! I only eat it in the salad so the flavor is mixed in, not straight up by itself. Goat milk is a whole 'nother story - very strong aroma and taste. That I can't do!

It may be that the type of cheese I get - it only says "goat milk cheese log" or words to that effect - is the difference. After all, Limberger and other smelly cow cheeses are pretty pungent, to say the least. Yet other cow cheeses are so mild you'd never notice the smell if you weren't paying close attention.

Try a sample and see what you think. It may depend on the dairy's cheesemaking skill, too. That's out of my realm so I won't
hazard a guess there.

P.S. Just checked - mine is Montchevre Cheese from Wisconsin. I also checked to see where I can get Cypress Grove around here and it's everywhere . . . guess I just didn't look. I'll get some for comparison when I go shopping on Friday. Thanks for mentioning it, eureka1 and HappyInWyoming.

Last edited by movinon; 09-24-2019 at 01:04 PM..

Old 09-24-2019, 01:10 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Our locally produced Chêvre, Humboldt Fog, has a lovely smell. I don't know what goats are supposed to smell like. For $8.99 you can buy some. Not a major investment

Have you ever gotten close to a goat?

Old 09-24-2019, 01:51 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Yes, goat cheese tastes like goat. Goats milk also tastes Iike goat in spite of all claims by goat herders that insist that goat milk and cow milk taste exactly the same. They don't.

Perhaps some people can taste the difference and some can't, because I wonder about the taste buds of people who can't taste goat.

I like goat meat, which incidentily, tastes like goat.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:54 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosep View Post
Does cow cheese have that cow odor?
Yes, in fact, it does. Cow dairy tastes just like clean cow udders smell.

Old 09-24-2019, 03:10 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
a combination of roadkill skunk.....about 3 days with temps in the 80's and venison

its not bad once you get use to it (better than peas or squash!!)

Old 09-24-2019, 03:35 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,170,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Yes, goat cheese tastes like goat. Goats milk also tastes Iike goat in spite of all claims by goat herders that insist that goat milk and cow milk taste exactly the same. They don't.

Perhaps some people can taste the difference and some can't, because I wonder about the taste buds of people who can't taste goat.

I like goat meat, which incidentily, tastes like goat.

Goat milk taste like regular non-organic whole fat milk. It's an acquired taste and the only way i can tell the difference is that cow milk taste sweeter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink