Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 01:57 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
There is an international market about an hours drive from me and we go there when we can. I also
can find great produce and ethnic foods (especially spices for so cheap). Hispanic markets are great too.
Talk about their bakery department. Not that I eat many sweets but the things they have (made from
scratch) and the price would shock WF lovers. My daughter went there to buy some sweets for
a company meeting and got 2 large boxes full of conchas, conos, empanadas, cookies and even donuts
for $15.00.
-haven't seen a smoothie bar at the few Mexican places we went to. Sounds yummy.
It is...they also have a stand right when you walk in/out that makes tacos and elotes and other street food.

I'm not huge on Mexican baked goods, because of the typical use of oil v. butter in most of the preparation, but they are beautiful, huge and inexpensive. I do like tres leches cake now and then.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:12 PM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeraKera View Post
I know that I hold my breath when the cashier rings up my last item.
Whole Foods= Whole Paycheck

I remember when I first started shopping there I was under the impression that the produce was strictly organic. After a quick read of the item's description, I would then see the word 'conventional.'

On top of that it was still pretty pricey.

While I still shop there, I have narrowed my grocery selections down to items I KNOW I cant find elsewhere. Thankfully, many of the grocery stores around have gotten on the organic bandwagon and have a section for such.

I used to enjoy the 'healthy' to-go section, but after finding a hair in one of my entrees, I don't eat there at all.

I'm not sure if it's "overrated". They have some pretty fine stuff.

I AM sure it's overpriced.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:05 PM

556 posts, read 946,500 times
I moved to a new-to-me city about six months ago, and gave up my car at that time (couldn't justify $100/month for parking). Whole Foods is the only grocery store within walking distance, so that is where I do most of my shopping now, rather than spend 45-60 minutes on the bus, each way. My weekly grocery bills really haven't changed much since the move, and they definitely aren't significantly higher. Item for item, WF is more expensive for some things (meat), and the same or less expensive for other things (in season produce, store brand canned foods). I don't buy much prepared or processed food, and don't eat much meat (about 1 lb/week), which is a huge part of containing a grocery budget. I was already pretty careful about checking sale ads and buying in season, so I didn't have to change my behavior. With that said, I can completely understand how someone would have sticker shock the first time they shop in WF.

Old 04-08-2014, 05:16 PM

121 posts, read 110,744 times
I pay twice as much for a much lesser supermarket here in Australia. Be very glad that you have Whole Foods. The same thing here would truly be a whole paycheck.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:33 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I went to whole foods once,,will never go again..i bought an "organic" orange orange for 2.00
it was the same damn orange the other supermarket had for 2/1.00

and most of their perishables are wayyy overpriced... i felt i was in disney world buying a water for 4.00
they are selling a lifestyle theme
,,,not only for -but against the mainstream "traditional"

so, the shoppers are getting screwed for a belief system..
yes, they have decent items, and quality stuff... but they are raping their customers on price, when they dont have to -on a premise "if you care about what you eat, you will pay more"

i see plenty drinking the whole foods kool aid..
This is pretty much spot-on!

Myself, I enjoy the hot buffet, but it's certainly not something to do daily, and it requires me to go home and add the ingredients which are heavy and don't traditionally cost $9/lb (a la some veggies, etc.). Some of the ingredients aren't that great, either, so it does take some time if you care what you put into your body.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:03 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
What belief system? That excellent customer service is worth paying for? Yes, I agree wholeheartedly.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:35 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I went to a Whole Foods for the first time a couple of weeks ago to get goat's milk for a found baby bunny. I had read that you could feed it goat's milk. I bought two half-gallon bottles of goat's milk, and the damn things cost over $14.00! I subsequently read that I couldn't feed the bunny because it could cause heart failure from shock, so ended up taking it to a wildlife rescue facility. Now I'm stuck with goat's milk, with absolutely no desire to drink the stuff.

Whole Paycheck is right! I couldn't believe the prices in that store, and thought about all those people in San Francisco that tell me they never shop anywhere but Whole Foods. How can they afford that with the already high cost of living there? These are not wealthy people. I just don't understand it. I guess they do carry some items that aren't easily found elsewhere. I'd probably just go there for the one or two items needed and do the rest of my shopping at a regular grocery store.
My local farm grocery or indie natural foods store sells Goats Milk for half of that or less.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:37 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeraKera View Post
I know that I hold my breath when the cashier rings up my last item.
Whole Foods= Whole Paycheck

I remember when I first started shopping there I was under the impression that the produce was strictly organic. After a quick read of the item's description, I would then see the word 'conventional.'

On top of that it was still pretty pricey.

While I still shop there, I have narrowed my grocery selections down to items I KNOW I cant find elsewhere. Thankfully, many of the grocery stores around have gotten on the organic bandwagon and have a section for such.

I used to enjoy the 'healthy' to-go section, but after finding a hair in one of my entrees, I don't eat there at all.
But seriously hair must be high in some kind of protein. It is organic, grows out of the top of the head. What could you possibly be complaining about.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:38 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Try a market called Sprouts if it in your area. They have better produce than whole food, similar dry goods, and prices that are competitive with a supermarket chain like Safeway.

My problem is that I buy a lot more there than normal so my food purchases are going up ... and there is no Aldi in this area yet.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:40 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Try a market called Sprouts if it in your area. They have better produce than whole food, similar dry goods, and prices that are competitive with a supermarket chain like Safeway.

My problem is that I buy a lot more there than normal so my food purchases are going up ... and there is no Aldi in this area yet.
I'm glad you've had good luck with the Sprouts in your area. Unfortunately, I'm not terribly fond of the one here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink