Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2015, 05:42 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times

Advertisements

I got to WF maybe once or twice a year, mostly because I'm never out that way, but on the rare occasion that I want some "meat analogs", WF has the biggest selection. Otherwise... yeah, I'm totally fine with GMO, non-organic, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I can't afford that. Even if I could, I'd rather put the the money in the car, vacation, investment fund.

I shop at Whole Foods once in a while. They were the only store in the area which had a vanilla bean when I wanted one.

I guess I'll just keep eating my GMO, pesticide laden, mercury infused food until the doctor tells me that something is going to kill me.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:46 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,704,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Isn't that illegal in the US? I thought they only did that in Latin America.
It's technically illegal.....it takes A LOT to prove...but it happens all the time.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:50 PM

It's not outrageous, but it's about triple what I'm spend per meal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Sixty dollars per week averages $2.85 per meal. Is that really so outrageous? i don't think even the cheapest fast food restaurant can beat that.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:59 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
It's not outrageous, but it's about triple what I'm spend per meal.
Fair enough. I just wonder if anybody stops to think about how much a Chipotle burrito or a Starbucks frappacino costs when complaining about the cost of groceries. One visit to Smashburger can easily run 1-1/2 times the average cost of an entire day's worth of meals prepared from groceries bought at Whole Foods. I could understand the comments if this were the Frugal forum, but this is Food & Drink, where I was unaware that austerity was the point. I enjoy cooking and eating great meals, and I love that the Whole Foods near my house is filled with both employees and shoppers who are equally enthusiastic about home-cooking.

That being said, this is completely off-topic, so I apologize to the OP for the side-track.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-27-2015 at 06:10 PM..

Old 01-27-2015, 06:16 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,951,638 times
GMO foods use a lot of chemical pesticides like Roundup. That alone is enough to avoid them whenever you can.

Last edited by cisco kid; 01-27-2015 at 06:40 PM..

Old 01-27-2015, 06:45 PM

Honestly, I wouldn't even know what burritos or frappacinos cost. I virtually never eat out because I'm weird about having other people handle my food and beverage.

FWIW, one can still enjoy homemade culinary delights while being on a lower budget. My favorite store is a local chain that specializes in ethnic foods, in addition to having an amazing selection of produce that is way better than the bigger supermarkets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Fair enough. I just wonder if anybody stops to think about how much a Chipotle burrito or a Starbucks frappacino costs when complaining about the cost of groceries. One visit to Smashburger can easily run 1-1/2 times the average cost of an entire day's worth of meals prepared from groceries bought at Whole Foods. I could understand the comments if this were the Frugal forum, but this is Food & Drink, where I was unaware that austerity was the point. I enjoy cooking and eating great meals, and I love that the Whole Foods near my house is filled with both employees and shoppers who are equally enthusiastic about home-cooking.

That being said, this is completely off-topic, so I apologize to the OP for the side-track.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:55 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Oh, I won't argue that point at all. The H-Mart on the other side of town is extraordinary, and there are incredible bargains to be found in every aisle. However, I like the WF near my house, and I just cannot wrap my head around why it draws so much disdain. Similarly, I can't comprehend the Walmart hate. They're just grocery stores, and we all gotta eat.

BTW, I see in another thread that you're more than willing to indulge in an occasional Starbucks lemon pound cake and bag of coffee beans, so are you really that unaware of the prices?

Last edited by randomparent; 01-27-2015 at 07:14 PM..

Old 01-27-2015, 06:55 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I've been doing a lot of research lately on the subject of GMOs, and I have come to the conclusion that Whole Foods Market is profiting off the irrational fears of the consumer. And I don't think I'll be shopping there anymore.
It's not only GMOs. I think much of the so-called health food industry purveys quite a bit of misinformation in order to grow their businesses. If they need to play on people's fears to do that, they will. It's crazy. At one extreme we have people who subsist on a diet of Doritos and Skittles and on the other extreme we have people doing strange juice fasts and thinking they will die if they ingest cow's milk.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:08 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
GMO foods use a lot of chemical pesticides like Roundup. That alone is enough to avoid them whenever you can.
There's the fear-mongering nonsense again.

One of the points of genetically modified produce is to -reduce- the need for pesticides and other chemicals. These plants are specially grown to be more pest and drought resistant.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:12 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
I doubt fear has anything to do with it. Entire countries ban GMOs in first world nations, it isn't just a select few that choose not to consume GMOs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink