Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 12:13 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Two examples from employees but nothing about shoppers themselves, and no current examples at all, despite the proclamation that a majority of shoppers in numerous stores act a certain way. Okay then.
That's just the one example that stuck out to me. There are many others, none of which are particularly memorable by themselves.

Quote:
Your argument only works if the majority of Walmart shoppers actually are cheap and unkempt, instead of the occasional memorable weirdo. Otherwise, you're doing exactly what the snobs do, which is assume that Walmart shoppers are mostly losers because of one or two impressions.
Have you ever been to a WalMart? Maybe my perspective is jaded because the one closest to me is literally right next to three trailer parks, but it is literally full of low class people. That's no hyperbole either. I don't think there's much reasonable debate to be had about either extreme being drawn to those respective stores.

Last edited by McBain II; 06-27-2015 at 12:51 PM..

Old 06-27-2015, 12:47 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Your argument only works if the majority of Walmart shoppers actually are cheap and unkempt, instead of the occasional memorable weirdo. Otherwise, you're doing exactly what the snobs do, which is assume that Walmart shoppers are mostly losers because of one or two impressions.
I am smiling at this post because you are so right. I can give 2 examples and could give a dozen more, but it would just bore everyone. One, is the reference I gave ealier about our friends. They live on the lake here, certainly can buy and sell all of us and she shps almost exclusively at WalMart cause it is close. She does, however buy meat and fish at the butcher shop or fresh fish market and thinks nothing of spending $15 a lb or more for meat and $20 a lb for fresh fish, which is flown in daily. Another case, we were on a cruise a few years ago and were visiting with a couple next to us at breakfast. They were in the owners suite, so I doubt they were starving by anymeans. Somehow we got talking about WalMart. The gal said, she does almost all her shopping there for convenience sake. She said she can get everything from food to gifts, gardening supplies etc with just one stop. We anyone who thinks, cause they have seen some pretty strange people shopping at WalMart only riff raff shops there, is as snobbish as anyone who shops at Whole Foods. Where we shop does not define our finances, education, status or anything else, except in the eyes of those who love to judge others.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:31 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
That's just the one example that stuck out to me. There are many others, none of which are particularly memorable by themselves.

Have you ever been to a WalMart? Maybe my perspective is jaded because the one closest to me is literally right next to three trailer parks, but it is literally full of low class people. That's no hyperbole either. I don't think there's much reasonable debate to be had about either extreme being drawn to those respective stores.
It's not very nice to call someone a "low class person" just because of what they are wearing. You don't know their situation. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I honestly don't pay much attention to what other grocery shoppers are wearing when I'm out shopping. I'm there to get my stuff and get out.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
It's not very nice to call someone a "low class person" just because of what they are wearing. You don't know their situation. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I honestly don't pay much attention to what other grocery shoppers are wearing when I'm out shopping. I'm there to get my stuff and get out.
Point out the part of my post that mentioned what they were wearing.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:57 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,552 times
So, when you said they were unkempt, what exactly where you referring to? If not their clothes, then what? Their hair? Is that any less shallow? I've never heard "unkempt" used to refer to someone's personality.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
So, when you said they were unkempt, what exactly where you referring to? If not their clothes, then what? Their hair? Is that any less shallow? I've never heard "unkempt" used to refer to someone's personality.
Again, point to the post where I said that.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:15 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:

I think I see now. Whole Foods-Snobby people Walmart-low class people. Yeah, I am so glad I don't live where you live. We luckily don't have those stereotypes in our stores here. I will admit there's an interesting character here and there but it's rare. Usually our stores are mundane boring people like me. Now that I think of it, maybe I would like to check out your area, sounds extremely entertaining to see so many people like that!

Old 06-27-2015, 03:39 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
Quote:

So, if the closest one to you is located next to three trailer parks, how does that make YOU different from the Walmart shoppers? I mean, you are judging based on where the shoppers live, no?

Old 06-27-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
So, if the closest one to you is located next to three trailer parks, how does that make YOU different from the Walmart shoppers? I mean, you are judging based on where the shoppers live, no?
Are you contending that because the Walmart is close to me and located next to trailer parks that I am somehow by proxy low class as well? That seems like an interesting assertion if that's what you're saying.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:18 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,173,705 times
Lmao this conversation is way off topic at this point....

I'll continue to NOT shop at either place & still be savvy w/ my hard earned $$$$
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink